Mini-review: Ortofon Concorde Elite

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

I believe the OM30 on a Pro S (or rebrand like the Reloop) results in about 5.5mV output voltage.
    Keep in mind that these OM styli fit on all first generation concordes, but styli from the first and second gen aren't interchangeable.
    So, if you put the OM30 on for example a Nightclub MKII, it would result in a higher output voltage, since that one has a generator with larger coils - however, those aren't made anymore.

McLover likes this.
  2. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I had thought that the reloop had a different generator to the Pro-S. I think I read a review somewhere that implied they had a bass emphasis

3. Oelewapper

Well, the Pro S has a bit of bass emphasis too...
    AFAIK, all the rebranded ones are just Pro S Concorde bodies.
    After the main product line of first gen concordes was discontinued, Ortofon still made a few 1st gen Concorde bodies with different generators, but those were limited edition; like the Concorde Century and the Concorde 40th Anniversary.

4. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Ortofon states the Pro S cart is not meant for the others in the OM series. I had the Pro S and purchased an OM5e to see if it would work. I had read on the web that it worked and that the 5 was a tight fit in the Pro S cart.

I had to push the 5 into the cart, but it worked and was a good upgrade in sound. Later, I purchased the OM10E with the manufacturer's recommended cart. I still have a few Pro S stylus hanging around.

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. Oelewapper

Yes, some are a tight fit… idk why that is…
    Even on matching styli/Concordes they’re a tight fit sometimes.
    Like the genuine Gold replacement stylus I bought for my Concorde Gold.
    Really a hard time pulling that one off again (I sometimes mix/match styli and Concorde bodies for fun).
    OTOH, the NC MK2 styli fit very loosely on my NC MK2 body.

6. Oelewapper

Just made a recording of this cartridge on the 1200M7L:

While YouTube doesn't provide the best sound quality, it's decent enough to get a general idea of the characteristic sound of a cartridge IMO.

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

They're cheap at half the price. I have a 5C conical stylus on one for 45's, especially U.S. styrene ones.

8. Oelewapper

Meh… they were about €70,- here, back when the Pro S were still in production.
    The Reloop Black is ~€80,- over here.
    But like many products in audio, the Pro S went up in price once they went out of production.

9. Oelewapper

Just recorded another record, something very different this time.
    One of my old DJ records, since this cartridge is strangely enough marketed at DJs:

10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

How would you compare the new concord you just got to your silver Concorde century. If I recall, the Century is close to a bronze spec wise

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  11. Oelewapper

Better in build quality, but sound wise a lot less.
    It has the amount of IGD that is typical for elliptical, while the century has very little IGD.
    The sound is neutral to warm; not as warm as at the time of writing my initial impressions.
    Some of it went away while breaking in and all of the “muddyness” is gone too.
    Still fairly warm sounding for an Ortofon.
    For some reason a lot of people call the Century/Bronze/OM30 (all equivalents that are close to each other) warm sounding, but IME they are lean and a tad bright - which is a good combination with my laid back sounding speakers.
    It balances things out.
    Speaking of balance; channel separation seems to be a bit better on the Elite for some reason.
    Especially when using headphones it seems that the Elite has more of a left/right sound, while the Century sounds a bit more like left fades into right and vice versa.
    Tracking of the Elite is significantly better.
    It does 100um vs 80um on the Century (80um is still above average though).

DaleClark likes this.
  12. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Sweet review :) ;)

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Livewire91

I have the Concorde R10 and i'm going to buy a OM20 stylus soon, but i found this stylus from Thakker that is much cheaper and also a nude. I asked Thakker if it fits the Concorde and they said yes. Going to buy it as a spare too, might be interesting to compare it to the OM10 from Ortofon.
    Thakker Stylus 10 for Ortofon Super OM 10 - Nudeline Swiss Made | THAKKER

Soundslave, Crab33 and Oelewapper like this.
  14. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

I have that Thakker Nudeline OM stylus too. It is a very nice stylus for the money - not as dynamic as the original Ortofon styli but pretty refined, as you might expect from a nude stylus. I use mine with a slightly elevated tracking force of 1.7g, but that might be worth playing around with. These are the same as the Analogis Black Diamond styli and there have been some quality control issues with those in the past, but hopefully you will get a good example.

Livewire91 likes this.
  15. Livewire91

Hey thanks for the reply :) Appreciate the information. You meant not as refined as the OM20? Not the OM10?

16. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that the Nudeline OM stylus has a fairly refined sound, certainly more refined than the Ortofon 5E and 10 bonded styli at around the same price. I find the mid-range and treble of the Nudeline really quite special. In comparing with the 20 stylus, I'd say that the main difference is that the Ortofon stylus is more punchy and crisper than the Nudeline, allowing a bit more detail through and generally more exciting, but you pay for that :)

Livewire91 likes this.
  17. Livewire91

Hey thanks for clarifying! Wow! It's a rwal bang for the buck then, since the ortofon om10 is 60€ around here. I think i'll buy that swiss one soon and then the OM20 later. I have heard the OM20 and like it a lot.

Crab33 likes this.
  18. Basslines

Basslines Active Member

@Oelewapper :

Hi, thanks a lot for your very nice review of the Concorde ELITE.
    I am using the Concorde MK2 CLUB actually (on a Technics Q3), and although I have tested a lot of other cartridges (VM520EB, MP-110, MP-150, 2m blue), I am always coming back to the MK2 CLUB because of it's very good dynamics, fat but tight bass, and exciting but not annoying highs.
    So, I am very curious, how the ELITE compares to the CLUB.
    Would be great if you could give some of your impressions.

Regards, Franz

Livewire91 likes this.
  19. Oelewapper

The Elite has a bit better channel separation and clearer highs, while being less bright.
    Maybe also a bit more dynamic, making it snappier... but I'm not sure of that, still have to do more listening (including the MKII Club, since I haven't used that one in quite some time up until recently).
    It also tracks a lot better and somehow it picks up less ticks/clicks/surface noise.

Livewire91 and Basslines like this.
  20. Basslines

Basslines Active Member

So it seems to be exactly the cartridge I would like. If there wouldn't be this pretty high price ....

Oelewapper likes this.
  21. Basslines

Basslines Active Member

@Oelewapper
    Did you do any other comparisons of the ELITE, especially to HiFi cartridges, like for example the Ortofon 2m blue, Audio Technica VM530 / 540, Nagaoka MP-150 or any other ?

22. Oelewapper

Well, the VM530EN is on my main deck atm, but I can only plug one deck into my phono preamp at a time (I know, big first world issue lol).
    So I might take that one off and put it on the secondary deck.
    I plan to compare it to all the other cartridges I have (see profile for a list).
    But those are more long term plans, since I’m lacking the free time the upcoming weeks.

Basslines likes this.
  23. Basslines

Basslines Active Member

Oh I see, but we are not in a hurry, right ?
    Anyway I am looking forward to read your future comparisons ! :D
    Cheers, keep on rockin' !:uhhuh:

Oelewapper likes this.
  24. Livewire91

Tried searching for Concorde threads, but this seems to be the one alive. Please direct me to another thread if this post is bothering you.

The Nude Elliptical Swiss made stylus arrived in the mail today. Going to check the tracking force and anti skate. Hopefully i can listen to a couple of albums today.
    [​IMG]

Soundslave and Oelewapper like this.
  25. Livewire91

Testing it now with 1.7g tracking force. Sounds quite different to the Ortofons OM10 :) Still need to break it in, but already sounds quite interesting. Do you have antiskate set at same amount as tracking force?

Soundslave likes this.