Minimalist or Multi Mic ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Which do you prefer? How do you think It it affects the outcome? Is there more chance with multi mic of spacial screwups (giving the guy at the board too much control) in final production?

I've always thought that less is better as one would think that it gives a more true represntation of the actual musical event. Unless there is reason to highlite a certain muscian don't too many mics become problematical and rob the end result of true spacial "cohesion"?

2. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I may be wrong, but I cannot think of a single recording in my collection that uses a multi mic setup to any benefit. But where does minimalist miking stop and multi mic begin? Is 6 or 8 mics still okay? I guess so, if you have a large orchstra and a large choir. But just for the orchestra? Even if the engineer withstands the temptation to temporarily highlight various sections of the orchestra, a multi mic setup will most certainly produce a "sonic collage" that may be very dynamic, but lack the "breath of life".

A perfect example for this are Decca's "Phase 4" recordings. I have a few of them (original LPs as well as CD reissues). While the sonics are crystal clear, they cause a strange kind of listening fatigue. Why? Take Bernard Herrmann's film music. Even in quiet passages of most delicate pieces like the waltz from "The Snows Of Kilimanjaro" you have the strange impression that whatever is there is going "full throttle". Whenever the music becomes soft and intimate, the instruments in the back do not gracefully dissolve in a "spatial" kind of way - they stay in the front and seem to become smaller, folding into a chamber music - like stage that leaves no trace at all of the surrounding 60 musicians which are not playing at the same moment.

I think it simply can't work. BTW, what about the excessive hiss those myriads of microphones bring with them? That's the thing I hate about "The Concert Sinatra". IMO, they should have used 2 or 3 mics on the orchestra and one mic on Frank. That would have produced great results.

Arne

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Shouldn't the acoustics dictate this?

What is being recorded, where it is recorded, and the desired affect are all factors that must be considered, IMHO.

I think there was a Bob Mintzer Big Band Disc (can't remember the name) that was recorded in one stereo mic with the big band around it. I could be wrong.. but I seem to remember that.

Please correct me if I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.