Minneapolis/St. Paul record stores past and present

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by steelydanguy, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure Discount Digital was the store off Snelling and South of 94. They kept only the booklets on the shelves and the discs and cases behind the counter. I worked for Digital Only and they had three stores (Coon Rapids, Roseville, and Minnetonka).

2. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I think it was north of 94 on Snelling. Kind of halfway between University Ave and the State Fairgrounds. I remember I bought the early Peter Gabriel albums there as UK imports.

3. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

I've been to Cheapo in Minneapolis a few times and the Cheapo in Blaine twice. They're very similar in size. I've gotten some good used CDs at both but I'd give the edge to the Blaine location.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Shout out to OP @steelydanguy, for bringing back great memories! I spent three years in Columbia Heights, and would come back for the radio Conclave convention for about 17 years afterwards (I actually got my gig in Mpls thanks to a Conclave function elsewhere in the midwest, where I met Kevin "Pig Vomit" McCarthy, and he listened to my demo, leaned back in his chair, and said, "...you don't do normal radio, do you...").

Every year I would meet up with my best radio buds, and in-between sessions, we'd head out for record-geeking excursions. I may have indeed spent as much time at Fetus as Prince ever did! But I swear, every weekend I lived there...I was out, scouting different rekkid stores like a fiend! Haven't been back for about five years...but OH, do I miss me some Pavarotti ice cream from Sebastian Joe's!

5. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I used to skip school to go to Extreme Noise all the time once I got my first car. DIY punk covers got me in to my career, so it counts as school, right?

Rycherocker634 and DeeThomaz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.