Minstrel in The Gallery - last really great Jethro Tull album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baron Von Talbot, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I must say I prefer Songs From The Wood to Minstrel In The Gallery. I haven't heard a lot of their post 1977 stuff.

2. You are right. SU fits well in that category too.

I vastly prefer Benefit though, because the love songs are more mature / less "lovy-dovey".

3. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

Despite its' very Dire Straits-sounding guitars, I think Crest of a Knave is a fabuous Tull record and love every song on it. I also think that Broadsword and the Beast is a very under rated Tull record. The expanded CD is absolutely fantastic! By far my favorite JT record is Songs From the Wood.

4. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

That Roots to Branches album was a damn good return to form, last Tull album I picked up that I loved every track on. The music almost sounds like it was written with someone like Barlow in mind.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I don't know if MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY is the last really great JT album (Um, SONGS FROM THE WOOD, anyone?), but I do know I love it, especially the title track.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Can't stand UNDER WRAPS; Love WALK INTO LIGHT.

7. clogs

clogs New Member

I am diametrically opposite.

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Far out, man. :D How crazy are you? :laugh:
    At least you've seen the light. :D The song Under Wraps acoustic is beautiful.
    I'm of two minds. Under Wraps LP track order is my fave way to listen.

9. clogs

clogs New Member

I dig the patch.

10. I discovered Under Wraps with the old CD with the original additional tracks that were available before that only on the cassette version and on a 12'' EP or something. These extra tracks include a couple of really excellent moody pieces that beef up the enterprise... Otherwise it (LP version) is a good album. But the CD for me is a more wholesome, powerful musical statement.

Walk Into Light I enjoy about half of... and really can't stand the other!!

11. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Tull tully 80s synth purgatory...

Under Craps and Stalk Into Light represent the nadir of a long and storied career for Jethro and his hull full of Tull mayteas... Total train wrecks to mix up me metafores... Both should be sumarilly exorsized from the hAllowed Tull canon as abominations... :shake:

There I said it... :angel:

The Truth Will Shout Out... :winkgrin:

:D

12. "Stormwatch" from '79 is the last "really great" one for me.

13. tootull

mrbillswildride has had too much cough medicine once again.

14. tootull

"nadir" on a Tull thread :realmad:

:laugh:

15. tootull

The truth is this has a lot to do with Astronomy. :D

16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Clearly, he meant "Apogee" ;)

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I hated those at first too... Now look where I stand! :D

To me, Rock Island is much less interesting, and I would actually call it their nadir!

18. tootull

I dig it - get out of the heat

My point! :)

Listed under my not so guilty pleasures like disco + since I loved Ian Anderson's Walk Into Light, a different sounding Jethro Tull was a welcome sound to me in 1984 - I've liked this album from day one, played it to death. I like this sound, it defines the time period. Techno rock at it's best. Think Ultravox and enjoy this for what it's worth. It defines the drum machine 1980's.
    Tracklisting:
    A1 Lap Of Luxury (3:35)
    A2 Under Wraps #1 (3:59)
    A3 European Legacy (3:23)
    A4 Later, That Same Evening (3:51)
    A5 Saboteur (3:31)
    A6 Radio Free Moscow (3:40)
    B1 Nobody's Car (4:08)
    B2 Heat (5:36)
    B3 Under Wraps #2 (2:13)
    B4 Paparazzi (3:47)
    B5 Apogee (5:28)

Never mind what some people say. They're going to love you anyway. Maybe a circus ring, a disco floor. Do like we do. And do some more. A crowded office or a party night.Step into joy. Walk into light. - Ian Anderson

19. tootull

Nadir again! :realmad: Rock Island has several good tunes - there is no nadir here.

SCREAM!

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Fixed. ;)

Now, honestly, there's got to be one Tull album you like less than all the others... Which is it? :D

21. tootull

Let me think about it...:angel:

22. I think 'Songs From The Wood' & 'Heavy Horses' have their moments but I have never enjoyed David Palmers orchestrations. So for me, 'Minstrel...' is the last great Tull album. Well, half great. Side Two is brilliant, Side One I often skip Cold Wind...' and 'Black Satin Dancer' both of which leave me cold. 'A Passion Play' is my favourite Tull album.

yesstiles likes this.
  23. tootull

I'm addicted to the sound of the APP MFSL CD. This could easily be my favourite album in the present tense. The Thick As A Brick tour was my introduction to Tull and the tours for A Passion Play and WarChild/Minstrel In The Gallery have left their impression on me. Looking back, for me they were truly the really great concert years.

24. I lost interest after "Songs" as the albums were becoming less interesting sounding to me. That said, there are a couple of songs on each album that are very good.

25. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.