Minstrel in The Gallery - last really great Jethro Tull album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baron Von Talbot, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, there's the single edit...which I believe starts at the point where the band kicks in. This shows up on some comps such as "Repeat: The Best of Jethro Tull-Vol.2". It's actually the lead track on there. Maybe that's what you heard? There's no version of Minstrel in the Gallery (the album) that has this single edit that I know of, and I'm fairly sure I have them all.

There's also a version on "The Anniversary Collection" which is about 2 minutes shorter. The talking up front is lopped off, but the acoustic section is intact.

2. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

That's got to be the one I'm so familiar with, then. Thanks!

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Minstrel in the Gallery (8:13)
    – Best Of Repeat 4:12
    - first Original Masters CD 7:47
    - 25th Anniversary Classic Songs Remixed 8:13
    - Anniversary Collection Best Of 6:10
    - The Very Best Of (2001) 3:49

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=132673

5. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Minstrel has been my go-to Tull album for many years, even though I only own it on LP and the cassette I made of it in the mid 70's (my car has a combination CD/cassette player installed). It's musically and lyrically adventurous. The string arrangements are so solid throughout, and really complement the songs. Love Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's bass lines. He really stands out on this album. Lots of subtle details in this record make it a standout release. The effect of hearing the song "Grace" after the Baker Street Muse medley is cathartic.

I don't think it's their last great album. I think Heavy Horses is also great, and it is the last JT album I bought, in the late 70's. After seeing them in Seattle recently, and hearing "Budapest" and "Farm on the Freeway" live, I will definitely check out some post "Heavy Horses" albums. Last time I saw them before this year was 1976!

6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Minstrel is a great album, agreed. But not the last great one from Tull - I write this as the last tune on Heavy Horses begins... I think this record is a masterpiece, I rate it as one of their best, I think the heavy brit folk slant on Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch has worn extremely well. Much more so for me than the synth years.

What a great band.

7. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

I would say "heavy horses" also although i don't listen to it as much as in the past.
    imo their best one was passion play followed by aqualung and then thick as a brick followed by minstrel in the gallery.

8. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I haven't read the entire thread, but i surprised the OP passed on the LITP compilation. I never heard anybody say they dislike it and in the majority of cases it receives rave reviews.

9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I also like Crest Of A Knave very muchly.

10. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Joe Pepitone, huh - interesting handle. For me, the last great one was Songs From the Wood.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Agree with those that say Heavy Horses (1978) is the last great one. Saw Tull a few times during this period and Ian was always entertaining.

For some reason Tull fell off my radar after this.

My two favorite Tull album though are Aqualung (1971) and War Child (1975) so I differ than most Tull fans (especially on this board).

Also think their "best of" called M.U.The Best Of Jethro Tull is one of the best "greatest hits" comps ever (it has the awesome Rainbow Blues). Just wish it had the long version of Thick As A Brick as Steve's "Original Masters" comp.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Definitely 'Heavy Horses' as far as the "classic" era goes.

Carserguev likes this.
  13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i listened to all the albums up to stormwatch.

i just got into tull last week. i think all the albums are good. for me...i prefer aqualungto too old to rock n roll(except for war child...dont like that one)

the first albums like stand up and benefit dont sound like the tull i like. they sound like a regular rock group with a flute. it wasnt until aqualung when the medievil sound colored their music. stand up and benefit lack color.

and songs from the wood was the start of another tull era...but i dont love it. starting with songs from the wood they lost something. dont know what but it felt souless to me in some way. it was still good though and i could definitely enjoy it if i had to.

i hate warchild but i adore too old to rock to young to die. i dont know why people hate this album. the concept is very easy to follow. i think its a better concept album than quadrophenia. love the song salamander.

14. 'Minstrel...' was the last great Jethro Tull album IMO. It's not that I didn't enjoy the next three or four, I did buy them upon release, but I don't own them anymore. I point the finger at David Palmer. His orchestration is a lot more to the fore and I just don't like it. I also find 'Stormwatch' to be quite weak melodically. When it comes to Tull I much prefer them as a blues based rock band or as a prog based band as opposed to a pastoral rock band with orchestral flourishes.

bhazen likes this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The ugly-looking black-back original USA Chrysalis cd of "Minstrel in the Gallery" is a wonderful sounding cd. A great disc!

16. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Last GREAT one I say Songs From The Wood. Last decent ones maybe Broadsword And The Beast and Crest Of A Knave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.