Mint 1963 Scott tube FM tuner with case!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's a beauty, but better YOU use it than it sit on my "Ohhh, neat looking old stuff!" shelf, unplayed.

Take a peak:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/s2-2.shtml

It's a mint 1963 Scott 350B FM tuner, with rare matching wood case. Beautiful looking, and amazing sounding. If you've never heard stereo FM radio played back on a Scott tube tuner you are in for a treat!

Amazing hand built unit with silver plated front end and point to point wiring. 10 tubes, all mint, included. This tuner was originally owned by a doctor and seems to have little (if any) actual use! No mods of any kind were ever done (or needed).

Oh yeah, ORIGINAL BOX included!

In my opinion, the sound of this Scott is even more sweet and warm than an old McIntosh FM tuner and is second only to the King of tuners, the Marantz 10B. ;)

Make me an offer and it's yours. I want it to go to a good home.

2. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

Another beautiful peice from the Hoffman Museum of Fine Sound !!

What and how do you decide what to listen to with so much to choose from? What's your day to day system.

3. Steve Hoffman

Well, that's the reason I'm selling this piece. Too much vintage gear, not enough time to listen to and enjoy all of it.

4. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

WOW! Thats a beauty for sure. I know it's probably out of my budget right now but email me and let me know what you want as I have no idea what they go for.

5. Steve Hoffman

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on where it says "Contact us".

Just make me an offer....

6. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

That is indeed a beauty.

So "JFK" era looking.

I bet that a tube tuner would make the dreadful FM signals around here sound a lot better!

7. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Hmmm....would go nice with my 1963 Scott Tube 35 watt per channel tube amplifier...

8. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Wow, I have a Scott 333B tuner very similar to that one at home, and I haven't added it to my system yet. It doesn't have that beautiful cabinet, but it is full of shiny, clean Telefunkens :D.

I've powered it up, attached antennas, and plugged it into my preamp, but I could only pick up one or two of the more powerful FM stations in my neck of the woods.

Are those old tuners capable of receiving all of the FM radio stations? For example, can I go down to 88 and up to 103? I ask because I listen mainly to NPR on FM and the tuner wouldn't pick it up.

9. Steve Hoffman

Your tuner needs a realignment.

10. Steve Hoffman

Oh yes indeed. Once you hear this tube tuner, you can never go back to SS again. Does wonders for the broadcast sound. Actually makes it possible to listen to the radio again!

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Don't knock an ancient looking tube tuner. You may think AM sounds horrible. It just ain't true. You'll see! Suddenly, you might even listen to AM more often!

12. mazort

mazort New Member

How much do you want for it?

HMDUWFI

13. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

AM? You must be talking about other tuners. Isn't HH Scott 350B an FM-MPX stereo tuner? :confused:

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I was. Apologize for not being clear. I have an old Knight kit tuner that I worked on. It's mono AM/FM, but the AM side totally knocked me out.

15. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

AM Tuner

All,

I have an old tube (circa 1957) Heathkit AM Tuner that sounds fantastic. It is wide band and full fidelity. With a strong signal it is truly amazing. I love listening to sporting events on it through my main system. It feels like you are sitting in the broadcast booth. With an external wire AM antenna, it has surprising sensitivity.

Bob

16. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Steve,

Do you have a similar one with both AM and FM Stereo?

17. Steve Hoffman

No just FM.

18. Steve Hoffman

Sold!

Thanks one and all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.