Misheard lyrics that are better than the actual lyrics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Nov 4, 2016.

1. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Yes!!!
    I always heard in Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, "when I want to run away, I GROVEL IN MY CUP". Never questioned it. Sounded perfect. Sounded Peter Gabriel.
    Sorely disappointed (shockingly this only happened about a year and a half ago) to learn that he was singing something so mundane as "I drive off in my car".
    I like my lyrics better. By contrast the actual lyric is so...pedestrian.
    Yeah, I gave you a pun too.

MikaelaArsenault and drivingfrog like this.
  2. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Yes!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Spot on!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris Hipster Doofus

ELO, "Four Little Diamonds"

I always heard "And if the law don't get her, then I will" as "And if the Lord don't get her, then I will", which I like because it sort of amplifies the scale of the misdeeds of the song's subject.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London.

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's....His hair was perfect."

Until 2 years ago, I thought it was his hair was 'purple'. I still prefer to hear that.

6. I have one that tops them all. (For me at least, in a very personal way)

I'm in shock over it right now.

I'm nearing towards halfway into the book about The Replacements, Trouble Boys,
    and I just found out that Bastards Of Young's chorus is not "We are the sons of no one" but "Wait on the sons of no one" -
    I can't even put into words how disappointed I am that those are the lyrics!

Hearing the whole room, myself included, at The Masonic in 2015 singing "we are the sons of no one" was one of the most moving live musical experiences of my life. I was so moved; it was magnificent beyond words, what I felt.

I vastly, vastly prefer the misheard lyrics in this one; I always will. I'm going to do my best to go back to mishearing them; I'm serious.

The real lyrics make it not the anthem it's been, they don't have the bonding feeling this song gave me that night; that I was not alone in feeling this way.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  7. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

The Doors - Hello, I Love You. I always thought they were saying "Sidewalk vultures at her feet" when apparently it's "Sidewalk crouches at her feet." I like my version better.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

UFO - the song Natural Thing

One verse goes like this:
    Hey girl, now, does it feel all right
    Think I'm gettin' through
    Don't you think the band's real tight
    Wait till we start to move

Which leads in to this verse that I always thought went like this - some kind of crude sex comment about "doin' it" facedown, picking up on some suggestive lines from the previous verse -
    Face down honey but you gave it to me
    I didn't even like it
    Face down honey but you gave it to me
    And now I got to live without it

But the actual lyric has NOTHING to do with "FACE DOWN" anything....it's really just...
    May sound funny but you gave it to me
    I didn't even like it
    May sound funny but you gave it to me
    And now I got to live without it

I still don't really understand what the singer is trying to say but the way I originally heard it I thought it had some kind of "risque dirty talk" vibe that could have given radio stations fits (in 1957 anyways).

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dont stand
    Dont stand so
    Dont stand so close to Sting

Oh and...

Bingo Jed had a liiiiight on....

10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I saw a comment on YouTube the other day. Someone had misheard the lyrics to Winning by Santana:

"When I braid my hair, I look like a joker"

(the actual line is "When I played my hand, I looked like a joker")

11. GinGin

GinGin Forum Resident

"Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind."

I thought it was "Gone are the dark clouds, they've passed me by" which I like better.

12. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I gotta agree with you that the line (which is how I've always heard it too) is much better with "We are" than "Wait on". I was at that Masonic show too, and only have two regrets about it -- one is regarding $$, which I'm not going to go into, and the other is that Ride were playing the same night, so I had to choose one over the other. I feel like I made the right choice though!

13. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Just yesterday I heard "Walking In Rhythm" by the Blackbyrds for the first time in ages, and was reminded of when I was a kid and misheard the line "I'm tired and so all alone" as "I'm tired of soap on the lawn."
    Hell, I guess I'd be too! Can't be fun trying to get Irish Spring out of grass.

14. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Warren Zevon sings:
    And he dug up her grave and built a cage with her bones
    Excitable boy, they all said

I always heard:
    And he dug up her grave and killed (kilt) some kids with her bones

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Okay, dumbest ever...As a kid I had to take allergy injections. Gilbert O Sullivan Alone Again Naturally... Lyric is "Reality Came Around". As that kid , listening to WFIL I heard "allergies came around".

16. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

You mean, it's NOT allergies?

17. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

This time of year, it sure is!

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Felt pretty stupid years later when I realized how far off I was.

19. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

For a long time , I heard this in the The Bangles' "Manic Monday"

All of the nights
    Why did my lover have to pick last night
    To get down?
    (Last night, last night)
    Doesn't it matter
    That I have to feed the both of us
    and Zero Mostel

The actual line is "Employment's down." I figured it wasn't "Zero Mostel," but I had no clue what Susanna Hoffs was singing until I looked up the lyrics. I still like my version better. :p

20. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

That's quite a burden. I like your version better.

21. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

When I was a kid listening to "Night Fever", I always thought the chorus actually said "Saturday Night Fever, Night Fever" because there's a bit of a mumble before he says "Night Fever". Because, you know, it was on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack (even though I heard it on One Night Only live album). but when I look up the lyrics I don't see anything. I still pretend it's "Saturday Night Fever"!

DavidD likes this.
  22. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I can't believe this, and I can bring myself to verify.

23. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

When your reading the thread for a song lyric you know so you can relate .....hmm.

24. dlabruyere

dlabruyere Forum Resident

10cc – I’m Not In Love

Not an actual lyric, but a whispered line in the song. The line is “Be quiet, big boys don’t cry”. For decades, I had always heard, “Be quiet, be poised don’t cry”.

ARK likes this.
  25. BeenAround

BeenAround Forum Resident

When it was out, I thought Michael Jackson was singing, "Wait a minute with me" instead of "Way you make me feel." Neither version is better, and neither is good lyrically. But hey.

#dontcare