Missed out on a limited issue? Too bad, so sad, bubba.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

This is a MAJOR peeve of mine- bands and their record companies that put out limited issues of records that, if you can't respond fast enough to or don't hear about in time, too bad, so sad, take a hike bub. More and more, when I see this kind of thing happen (too late to Sweep it into Space? To the moon, Dino), I just am not inclined to wanting to support that kind of band any more. Who needs it? Artists that play that game don't need my support anyway because most of them have gotten too damn big for their own good. Screw it. There's plenty of other good music out there.

Ain't playing that game no more!

2. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

3. Brian Lux

It is but I've always supported the band's store. I always thought that was the right thing to do rather than support some third party distributor I've never heard of.

This whole thing is a first world gripe, I get that. But I have gone out of my way to support some bands directly and when they pull these sheets, I'm gone.

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Well if they dont have it then you go elsewhere

There's no shortage of the purple vinyl

Brian Lux likes this.
  5. Brian Lux

Looks like I might have to. It just sucks because Dino's shop has never done this. I just don't get it. And this has happened with other bands that I've lost interest in. There's always other music out there. I don't need their games.

In any case, thanks for the heads up. Maybe when I cool down I'll reconsider. Thanks for you posts.

6. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Its popular and cheap and with the T Shirt bundle eating in to the stock as well

But they have spread it out a lot looking at where you can get this

Their website and the Bandcamp ones are really the only 2 that are sold out

Brian Lux likes this.
  7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

First of all, are you a newsletter subscriber? These items are specifically marketed as reward for those that are. The news release for this item was February 23, if you're just now complaining about, there has been over a week for you to react. The newsletter is the modern version of the fan club. You get early notification about these kind of releases.

But honestly, a webstore exclusive isn't a bad thing. And it's completely understandable why a specific color for them is very limited. It's not like the purple edition is gating you away from actual music. And Easy-E has stated, there are other exclusives out there.

Brian Lux likes this.
  8. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

There's definitely a trend emerging for things that are just a bit too limited to be reasonable, seemingly based on the psychology of "one chance, you'll never see it again..." panic shopping and the snob value of exclusivity.

It's been noted that Stereolab have responded to complaints regarding the almost immediate sell-out of the very limited coloured vinyl edition of Electrically Possessed by doing future limited editions on a lottery basis. On the one hand, this could freeze out some flippers, on the other, it begs the question - if you have a mailing list of several thousand people and can sell 500 double LPs in 4 or 5 minutes, why not just...y'know...make some more?

9. Brian Lux

I am but our ISP went out of business and my only option is Hughes net which only works some of the time. New world, new circumstances, fewer goodies. Maybe this is all a good thing- learning to live with less. I can dig that.

10. octophone

Just to tie this in to my previous post...one complaint that came up with The 'Lab was that their newsletter went into a spam filter, even if previous editions hadn't. Losing out due to gmail or outlook or whatever being "updated" must be annoying.

Brian Lux likes this.
  11. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Bands are competing for your money so they have to create reasons for you to buy their product next. Unlimited editions mean that it is more likely that you will delay your purchase (and perhaps never make it).

Brian Lux and c-eling like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This is one of the reasons I've practically stopped buying new music - the other being the amount of stuff that turns up damaged.

There are more important things in life to focus on.

Brian Lux likes this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

After all, who has to go to "business school" to comprehend that when there's "consumer demand" it's demand for a SUPPLY.

14. octophone

But @thehatandbeard is right - the market is so fierce that the only way to ensure you shift your stock is create consumer anxiety (what's currently known as FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out). Make 500 and they'll be gone before the sun sets that day. Make 1000 and you could be trying to flog the last 200 for a couple of years. You sell more but you have a different problem. Turnover is now so fast that you need to sell your stock straight away and re-press if you need to.

Look at this:

Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle

8 different pressings on about 20 vinyl colours. Press these all at once and you'll be making a bomb shelter out of the overruns.

I blame Record Store Day for all this hyperlimited stuff - people are trying to replicate that consumer anxiety on all platforms now.

thehatandbeard likes this.
  15. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I was no fan of it in the 1970s... 'Hmm... if this came out 3 years ago, why have I never seen a copy of it before?' 'It didn't sell 5 million in 6 months so we're deleting it altogether...'

16. octophone

I remember a story about that. When Chris Blackwell sold Island Records, part of the deal was that, for a certain period, any deletions from the catalogue had to be authorised by him. Every month, Nick Drake's albums were beneath the minimum sales requirement, every month Blackwell scored them off the deletion list...

Now, the way to be desirable is to be unavailable.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

There’s always Discogs or eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.