Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The recovered episodes will apparently be released for sale via iTunes this Friday. Deffo in UK and US iTunes stores.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What is "Deffo"?

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

lets hope its at least 60 episodes ! this means the dvd releases will continue! yay !

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I wish they would bring the OOP dvds back in print, I missed a couple the first time.

5. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Name of new book - Was Wiped, Now Found

6. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

An alien race in one of the lost Patrick Troughton episodes, weren't they? ;)

7. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

You may wish to consider getting a multi-region DVD (or Blu-Ray) player and finishing your collection with Region 2 discs ordered from the UK...since all of the stories remain in print there.

A multi-region DVD player can easily be found for around $50-$60 from certain websites that modify these players. (Multi-region Blu-Ray players start around $200, but can also play multi-region DVDs). They have PAL to NTSC coverters built in and, in my experience, work wonderfully. I originally bought a multi-region DVD player in order to watch music DVDs and movies that were available only regions code other than Region 1. The Old Grey Whistle Test DVDs were what originally convinced me to go multi-region with my DVD player.

When I started building my Doctor Who DVD collection, I realized the Region 2 DVDs were significantly cheaper, even after you figure in shipping from Amazon UK. I probably saved 30-40% over what the same DVDs cost from North American retailers. (Also, the Region 2 disc of The Chase leaves the scene with The Beatles intact. For the Region 1 release, it was edited out.)

Even if 95% of the discs you ultimately watch will be Region 1, it's still nice to have that flexibility to watch DVDs from other regions.

8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The ongoing rumor is that around 90 episodes have been found (out of the 106 missing). But it is also speculated that not all of the recoveries may be announced yet, especially if not all of the episodes are back in the hands of the BBC yet...since the company that made the recoveries may not have finished negotiations with the BBC for the remaining recovered episodes. Hopefully we'll get a better picture of things by the end of the week.

Personally, I find the number of 90 sounding too good to be true (especially considering that only four episodes have been recovered in the previous 20 years)...and I don't dare place my expectations on the number being so high. Frankly, any recovery in the double digits would be considered "massive" against all prior discoveries. But I am cautiously optimistic that the number will be a high one...since the "sources" who have reported the 90 number are sources that have apparently been fairly accurate to date with other details. They also claim that multiple copies of other episodes have also been found...episodes that currently reside in the archives in less-than-great condition. So the total recovery of episodes, both missing and existing, may be much higher than 90. If so, there is a possibility that existing stories can be upgraded over time if better copies and/or unedited copies have been located.

The thing that lends possible credence to a high recovery number is that apparently many foreign TV archives were checked in person over the past few years...instead of just making phone calls or writing letters as has been done in the past. If there was a large cache of forgotten episodes sitting in one or more foreign archives, chances are they were located with this on-the-ground survey. It's also promosing that apparently complete (or nearly-complete) stories are being found...not just the odd "orphan" episode or two. Generally, only TV archives have yielded complete stories, such as the Hong Kong TV archive recovery of "Tomb of the Cybermen" in 1991.

Another reason for hoping this find is a large one is because all other good avenues for episode recoveries have likely been exhausted by this point. If there are any more missing episodes out there, they likely exist in the hand of private collectors who either aren't willing to share what they own...or are unaware of the value of what they have.

Whatever has happened, the recovery process has likely been a long and ongoing saga that, in itself, would make for a fairly fascinating read. I hope the full story is told someday.

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

UK slang for definitely.

10. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Another factor is the life expectancy of triacetate film (the stock the 16mm telerecordings are on) under conditions it would likely be in if sitting in private hands or many foreign archives. Not to put too fine a point on it, in favorable "normal" conditions and barring exposure to any other deteriorating film, the estimate is 50 years. Starting this November, the earliest begin turning 50...

Needless to say then, I really hope the BBC are taking whatever measures they can to retrieve all the film assets they can. They should have taken the initiative when they decided to establish archival policy and not wait this long for other entities to do it for them.

I don't know how much of the facts we'll hear since it's all remaining under copyright of a major media entity.

11. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

this is brilliant news!!!!! I can't wait for the Troughton missing episodes

what a fantastic way to celebrate 50 years of the greatest television show ever made :)

12. apileocole

For anyone interested, here is the dread list of the missing prior to the forthcoming October 2013 announcement of recoveries. Format is: overall title of the serial - the number of the episode in the serial - title of the episode (the practice of naming each episode was discontinued in mid 1966). All date from 1964 to 1969. Only off-air audio recordings exist; little to no visual footage exists.

The 106 Missing Episodes

Marco Polo 1 - The Roof of the World
    Marco Polo 2 - The Singing Sands
    Marco Polo 3 - Five Hundred Eyes
    Marco Polo 4 - The Wall of Lies
    Marco Polo 5 - Rider from Shang-Tu
    Marco Polo 6 - Mighty Kublai Khan
    Marco Polo 7 - Assassin at Peking

The Reign of Terror 4 - The Tyrant of France
    The Reign of Terror 5 - A Bargain of Necessity

The Crusade 2 - The Knight of Jaffa
    The Crusade 4 - The Warlords

Galaxy Four 1 - Four Hundred Dawns
    Galaxy Four 2 - Trap of Steel
    Galaxy Four 4 - The Exploding Planet

Mission to the Unknown

The Mythmakers 1 - Temple of Secrets
    The Mythmakers 2 - Small Prophet, Quick Return
    The Mythmakers 3 - Death of a Spy
    The Mythmakers 4 - Horse of Destruction

The Daleks' Master Plan 1 - The Nightmare Begins
    The Daleks' Master Plan 3 - Devil's Planet
    The Daleks' Master Plan 4 - The Traitors
    The Daleks' Master Plan 6 - Coronas of the Sun
    The Daleks' Master Plan 7 - The Feast of Steven
    The Daleks' Master Plan 8 - Volcano
    The Daleks' Master Plan 9 - Golden Death
    The Daleks' Master Plan 11 - The Abandoned Planet
    The Daleks' Master Plan 12 - Destruction of Time

The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 1 - War of God
    The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 2 - The Sea Beggar
    The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 3 - Priest of Death
    The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 4 - Bell of Doom

The Celestial Toymaker 1 - The Celestial Toyroom
    The Celestial Toymaker 2 - The Hall of Dolls
    The Celestial Toymaker 3 - The Dancing Floor

The Savages 1
    The Savages 2
    The Savages 3
    The Savages 4

The Smugglers 1
    The Smugglers 2
    The Smugglers 3
    The Smugglers 4

The Tenth Planet 4

The Power of the Daleks 1
    The Power of the Daleks 2
    The Power of the Daleks 3
    The Power of the Daleks 4
    The Power of the Daleks 5
    The Power of the Daleks 6

The Highlanders 1
    The Highlanders 2
    The Highlanders 3
    The Highlanders 4

The Underwater Menace 1
    The Underwater Menace 4

The Moonbase 1
    The Moonbase 3

The Macra Terror 1
    The Macra Terror 2
    The Macra Terror 3
    The Macra Terror 4

The Faceless Ones 2
    The Faceless Ones 4
    The Faceless Ones 5
    The Faceless Ones 6

The Evil of the Daleks 1
    The Evil of the Daleks 3
    The Evil of the Daleks 4
    The Evil of the Daleks 5
    The Evil of the Daleks 6
    The Evil of the Daleks 7

The Abominable Snowmen 1
    The Abominable Snowmen 3
    The Abominable Snowmen 4
    The Abominable Snowmen 5
    The Abominable Snowmen 6

The Ice Warriors 2
    The Ice Warriors 3

The Enemy of the World 1
    The Enemy of the World 2
    The Enemy of the World 4
    The Enemy of the World 5
    The Enemy of the World 6

The Web of Fear 2
    The Web of Fear 3
    The Web of Fear 4
    The Web of Fear 5
    The Web of Fear 6

Fury from the Deep 1
    Fury from the Deep 2
    Fury from the Deep 3
    Fury from the Deep 4
    Fury from the Deep 5
    Fury from the Deep 6

The Wheel in Space 1
    The Wheel in Space 2
    The Wheel in Space 4
    The Wheel in Space 5

The Invasion 1
    The Invasion 4

The Space Pirates 1
    The Space Pirates 3
    The Space Pirates 4
    The Space Pirates 5
    The Space Pirates 6

As soon as Friday, the BBC may announce which of these may be crossed off this list (there may be more which the BBC may be unable to announce at that point).

wayne66 likes this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Deborah Watling and Frazer Hines will be taking part in the presentation. It is looking more and more like the Enemy of The World and Web of Fear are the ones that will be unveiled.

http://www.deborahwatling.net/News/index.htm

14. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I've spotted this list of allegedly recovered episodes on a couple of other websites. I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Marco Polo (all 7 episodes)
    The Reign of Terror (parts 4 and 5)
    Galaxy 4 (all 4 episodes)
    The Myth Makers (3 episodes)
    The Massacre (all 4 episodes)
    The Celestial Toymaker (2 episodes)
    The Tenth Planet (episode 4)
    The Power of the Daleks (all 6 episodes)
    The Underwater Menace (1 episode)
    The Enemy of the World (all 6 episodes)
    The Web of Fear (all 6 episodes)

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Would like to know where you got this. I have heard the missing episodes from the Moonbase and the Macra Terror may also be among the recovered.

I am 95 percent sure that the report of Web of Fear (maybe minus episode 3) and Enemy of the World is correct. I am about 50% sure that Marco Polo is also recovered, but will not be announced tomorrow.

16. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

17. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

11 episodes found 9 of them were lost.

We now have all of Enemy of the World, and are now only missing one from Web of Fear.

Shawn likes this.
  18. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

19. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Lance was just quoting crap he read on twitter so I'm not sure why anyone is quoting him as an authority.

20. apileocole

Thank you for passing along the news.

From the supposed unlikelihood of recoveries, I was braced for the announcement to be about 1 missing and a focus on some other matter (like releases on iTunes). The talk could have conflated the 9 to 90, but we'll see if there isn't more to it. Was that last from Lance from anything said officially? Still, a lost '60s story is now complete and another nearly so. So far. :)

EDIT:
    Ah. Oh well.

21. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

He's been quoted in a few places. I didn't know that it he got the information from Twitter.

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They are on itunes now.

23. apileocole

Sign of the times.

Old Doctor Who is their most dependable seller of physical product; its market has continued to prefer buying and collecting the Who DVDs despite the changing markets, yet they're using the discovery of new old Doctor Who titles to push downloading.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I didn't see them in the US store.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They were in the US store first.