Mission m70 vs B&W DM 601 vs Focal Aria 609 for casual listening?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kblev, Dec 23, 2022.

1. kblev

kblev Member Thread Starter

Not a troll post :)

Currently I have the KEF LS50 Metas (very happy with the sound, love the detail)+ CXA 81 + SVS SB-1000 Pro, but my small daughter keeps touching the cones and she already made a small dent. So I'm looking for a temp bookshelf speaker with grilles until she gets a few years old. Source is mainly TV, CD and ChromeCast audio. The speakers are/will be on the TV cabinet 30cm from the wall.
    There's a Mission m70 locally for £25, and the B&W DM 601 S1 for £50 + shipping. The Arias are £400 on eBay.
    With small baby I have little time to do critical listening, 1-2 hours a week, but we're often just listening to pop music to keep kid and family entertained.

Not sure which speaker to choose, if I should invest £400 or go with something cheap. I used to have the Wharfedale Diamond 220s but i didn't like the lack of detail so I donated them. I'm hoping these speakers would be at least as good as the diamonds?

2. KenCalgary

KenCalgary Forum Resident

I haven't heard the other speakers but I have a pair of Mission M70 connected to my NAD 7225PE Receiver and NAD 5320 CD player. I've had the NAD components for many years and now use them as a second system for casual listening. I had purchased the Mission M70s several years ago also as rear speakers when I had a surround sound system for my TV watching (the fronts were my Mission 770(I think) that were the original speakers attached to the NAD. I am happy with the Mission M70s. They did receive good reviews online and while they could probably be bettered the alternatives would be much more expensive. I've been searching recently to see what I could replace them with and the cost for superb micro monitors would be far above my budget. Hope this helps and good luck with your hunt. If you have found some speakers I'd like to know what choice you made and how they sound. Thanks.

GyroSE likes this.
  3. everton

everton Forum Resident

I have had a pair of B&W 602 S1 (which are a bigger brother of the 601 S1) for 27 years. I really like their sound (which I presume is the classic B&W sound back in the 90s). They are not as transparent or exciting as modern speakers. But they are always pleasant to listen to. Over the past 15 years or so, I have had other speakers such as later generations of B&W 600-series (685s and the current 607 AE), B&W 707 S2, Paradigm Signature, and Kef LS50. But I will never sell my 602.

GyroSE likes this.