Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I still think it's George commenting on something, If you listen closely the 'ah' (actually sounds like "I" or "I'd" to me) it sounds dry, no reverb, and it's cut just before the next singing line.
    It just can't be John because he and Paul are more 'away' in the background with lots of reverb.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

The great Scotty Moore wanders into the wrong key during the solo of Too Much. (damn, now I have to listen to the song 3-4 more times. So good!)

TimeWarper likes this.
  3. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Exactly. I always thought it was a humorous answer to "do you promise not to tell?" (I do).

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It IS the backing vocals overdub doing the extra "ah". The basic live track does not feature the extra "ah". It got there during the "doo wah ooo" overdub/superimposition. First they tried the vocals on take 7. which was copy of take 6 (the best live take) plus the new live overdub of the vocals. This take still doesn't have the extra "ah", that's the giveaway. They tried another background vocals overdub, called take 8. That's when the extra "ah" appears. The reverb tail of the "ah" is just masked by the "doo wah ooo" quickly following.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's surprising (to me). So the 'I'/'ah' really is John then? Always thought that's George.

6. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Could be George. And I think it is him. On take 7 overdub the doo wah ooo vocals are three part harmony, which means John, Paul and George singing. On the next and final take 8 the lowest harmony (which sounds like John to me) is gone and it's just a two part harmony. John either didn't sing again or he doubled one of the other voices, hard to tell. But George is singing on the backing vocals overdub, so it could be him.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

The freeway is a metaphor, maaaaaan. :rant:

guitarman1969 and thxphotog like this.
  8. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Anyone know what's going on at 0:06 here? Bad splice?

9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I don't know him well as a person, just his music. I've never seen interviews etc.

10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I've been listening to Tillerman for 45 years and haven't noticed it. Which LP/CD do you have?

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Sounds to me like Cat playing guitar.

boyfromnowhere likes this.
  12. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Ten seconds into "Monday Morning", John McVie muffs the note. Especially since you're talking what would become side one, track one (and unbeknownst to them, for one of the more momentous lineup changes/introductions in rock history), I remain surprised they kept it and didn't bother punching in.

13. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

That one always gave me a chuckle.

guitarman1969 likes this.
  14. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Well, who decides what is wrong and what is right ???
    In a musical way, maybe some things are wrong, but if the artist decides that it is his personal art and handwriting, I love anomalies !!!

15. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

The story goes that Elvis, Scotty et al were listening to the playbacks and when it got to this take, Elvis turned around to Scotty during the solo, with a 's***-eating grin' and said, 'that's the one'. Scotty protested ('you know I'm lost in there!') but Elvis was insistent.

Personally, I love it. It must have sounded strange back then but, for me, it makes the track.

16. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

"I like"

DUNDUNdeeeeDUN DUN

"I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings"...

17. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Tom lived valley adjacent his entire adult life. He knew what was what and was writing a song, not being literal.

18. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

At the 1 minute mark? Not to poo poo your OP but I don't hear it. I just hear "It's not that I think it's..... wrong", only a pause before "wrong".

19. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet:

The Kingsmen's "Louie, Louie" - Vocalist comes in too earlier, drummer covers the flub with a gloriously sloppy fill.

The Who's "Substitute" - One of the "substitute" backing vocal refrains is very tentative before coming in much more confidently immediately after.

The Who's "I Can See For Miles" - Pete's octave jump on lead guitar comes in too earlier, he corrects down the octave, and then comes in up the octave at the proper time.

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Tom Cochrane - "Life is a Highway"

Listen closely during the chorus at about the 2:02 mark...

It sounds like everyone starts singing the "life is a highway" line, then realize it's supposed to be the "if you're going my way" line, so they quickly correct themselves and end up with it sounding like "life going my way".

Not sure if that's an actual mistake, but it's always bugged me. :p

21. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Possibly already posted but Dylan clearly flubs a line in Stuck Inside of Mobile.

22. redmax

redmax Forum Resident

If we're nitpicking grammar, then the Beatles' I Saw Her Standing There has "And the way she looked was way beyond compare". Should be "comparison", but it didn't really harm their career, I guess.

Instrumental flub, the James Gang's Funk #49, the third time they do the riff, when it changes key Joe is just slightly late with the first note. Again, nitpicking.

Someone already pointed out that Bono got the words wrong in Helter Skelter, but something that grated with me was that Adam Clayton didn't play the descending bass run in the chorus, he just lazily plodded out a flat line while the Edge did the tumbling notes. You don't need to be a bass virtuoso like McCartney to play that bit.

guitarman1969 likes this.
  23. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

"Beyond compare" is correct and has a (very) long history. If anything, McCartney creates an extra little dimension of charm there, using an old/poetic turn of phrase in this pop song for teenagers.

Colocally likes this.
  24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

A lot of these are interesting for showing thought processes about what things should be like . . . whether that has anything to do with why things are the way they are.

25. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

I have always liked the effect of him missing that. I think it was intentional.
    That's a very simple part he's playing and it's inconceivable that he unintentionally missed the strings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.