Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

"The only one for me is you, and you for me, so happy blah, blah, blah." It's the same damn thing dammit. How does she feel about you?

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"tram"? :magoo:

Lost In The Flood and Gila like this.
  3. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Oh wait, its "trend", isn't it? :nyah:

Drifter likes this.
  4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - "Cherchez la Femme" - in the second verse, it sounds to me like the singer comes in to soon with "For misery..." and then covers it up with a "hey-hey". Not sure if that was a mistake or intentional but it's a slightly odd choice. But then they were a pretty quirky act. :)

Dodoz likes this.
  5. arley

arley Forum Resident

In Hotel California:

So I called up the Captain,
    'Please bring me my wine'
    He said, 'we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty-nine'

Wines are not spirits. Spirits are distilled liquors (whiskey, brandy, rum, tequila, etc.)

6. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

That's a John bass flub according to the book in the Super Deluxe, no?

nikh33 likes this.
  7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

1 :00 This part used to creep me out a bit as a kid.
    It's not a mistake per se (although it would definitely have justified another take) but Gilbert's voice fails him on the word "table" (1:07 "sur la table"). Sounds like a gasp.
    I think he had polyps removed on his vocal cords sometime later.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    hi_watt likes this.
  8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I always liked the flub in "Skateaway," as Dire Straits were usually such a precise band.
    I gotta think most of the track was recorded live, so when the guitar ad-libs a slide after the line, "She lets a big truck grease her hip," it throws Mark Knopfler off for his next vocal... You can hear him about to laugh but he manages to get the line out in (mostly) the correct rhythm.

Cool moment. It comes at 2:50.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Hmmm...grease/graze...either works. I like that part too.

10. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Revolution No 9
    (From the beginning to where it ends.)

11. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

The Mamas and Papas flub irritates me the most. Couldn't they have just pulled down the vocal fader for a second when mixing the song? Or was it an 'I meant to do that' decision?

12. The horrible edit near the end Flashdance What A Feeling, when she's wailing away and all of a sudden the edit cuts to go back to the outro bridge

13. Mistakes or not, that backing track and the entire song still gives me chills and takes me right back to then

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I love that part of the song.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Cut Henley some slack, he was probably coked out of his mind when he wrote those lyrics!:p
    John Lennon, making a mistake while playing bass? Never!!!!:laugh:

16. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

While we're on the subject of America, just where is the Tropic of Sir Galahad? (Tin Man).

I love a lot of his songs dearly, but I've long since accepted that the rules of English grammar (or indeed of English meaning) don't apply to Dewey Bunnell.

Anyway, if you listen closely during the fade of I Need You from the first album the lines alternate between "I need you, like the winter needs the spring" and "I need you, like the flower needs the rain", one of them forgets the previous line and sings I need you, like the frinter needs the spring".

Lost In The Flood and Dodoz like this.
  17. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

In Southern Cross, Stephen Stills' voice dramatically cracks when he sings "I have been around the world" in the second chorus. But it's one of those mistakes that works. Gives a little edge to a highly polished pop song. I'm sure they thought it worked too, since it could easily have been buried in the mix.

In the rehearsals for I'm Waiting for the Day by The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson compliments one of the studio musicians for making "a great mistake" when he accidentally transposed few notes on a guitar lick near the beginning of the song. That mistake was also retained, and is a cool part of the final version.

whisper3978 likes this.
  18. 12Toes

12Toes Forum Resident

"Every Picture Tells A Story".

Kenny Jones drops out too early. Corrects and comes back in. At around 3:20.

Complicated arrangement. Slop always suited me just fine with the Faces. Wouldn't have it any other way.

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've always considered that false start absolutely unnecessary, I don't know why the producers (David and Roger) made it part of the album.

DTK likes this.
  20. To sell the "he was stone cold crazy" myth

DTK likes this.
  21. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've always taken that to mean that the person ordering had some spirit about them.

22. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I've always liked how one of the backup singers says "look" too early on the line "look how wrong you can be". No way that would stay these days.

23. Uncle P

Uncle P New Member

"Babooshka" by Kate Bush contains two painful lyrical flubs that mar an otherwise wonderful recording:
    • "She couldn't have made a worst move..."; and
    • "Just like his wife before she freezed on him..."
    "Shaft" by Isaac Hayes: "He's a complicated man, but no-one understands him but his woman." That first "but" doesn't make sense; "and" would work much better. Very minor, but yet it always irks me a little bit.

More Beatles mistakes:
    • "I Want To Hold Your Hand" - in the last line before the final chorus, Paul and John start off singing different words. From memory, one of them correctly sings "I wanna....", while the other (I think it's John) starts to repeat the last line from the second verse ("You'll let me..."). But of course it only adds to the overall sense of exhilaration.
    • "Michelle" - the tempo noticeably slows in the last verse, and it's clearly not intentional.

Ludger and David Austin like this.
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

There's a very brutal edit, cut and paste in this.

There's this reocurring riff in the song (2:11) and then at 2:20 the vocal starts again : "et dans le ciel", with the final note of the guitar motif overlapping on the vocal.

Instead of re-recording the repeated verse starting with "et dans le ciel", they just cut and pasted it at 3:12. Cut and pasted the whole thing. So you get to hear the last guitar note ringing ! :D

PS : Recording this album digitally in 1983 was no party for all involved. Apparently the board crashed all the time.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Strange gasping then growling at the start. I've heard Bono was sick but it doesn't even sound like him clearing his throat. Maybe it was intentional after all.

He definitely seems to have a cold on this song though! Congested nose, a bit raspy, and everything.

And I find an edit/punched in line a bit strange :

0:31 : "Are the leaves on the trees just living disguise, ee"
    I walk the street rain tragicomedy"

It seems they punched in "i walk the street rain tragicomedy", i don't know what is up with the "ee", maybe Bono flubbed the lyrics ?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.