Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

In "Porpoise Song" by The Monkees, Micky struggles with the meter on the line "Living is a lie" so that it comes out something more like "Living... is ... is.... lie".

2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Krieger doesn't hit the note right at 0:19. It's the right note but it doesn't ring.

(I don't know what you call it in English when a guitar string does that, like if you don't make your bar chord properly. Frizzle maybe?).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Great post! Does anyone notice how much David Gilmour laughs in concert? At least in the 70s.

You can hear Bonham make a little error on "In My Time of Dying" (towards the end) during the cymbal crashes with the snare rolls..

CrombyMouse likes this.
  4. Jack Furth

Jack Furth Forum Resident

Not sure I entirely believe in musical mistakes. Maybe lyrical mistakes, sure, but as far as melody and composition are concerned, an unintentional note is just, well, a note. Theory be damned.

EDIT: Not to say I don't enjoy all this trivia!

guitarman1969 likes this.
  5. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

From a very corny interview.

9:54 "Do you ever sit down and listen to your records and listen for flaws?"
    Robbie : "Well, every time we hear our records we hear all the flaws, you know, we don't have to sit down and look for 'em".

MortSahlFan likes this.
  6. MortSahlFan

Unfortunately, some have this romanticism with mental illness -- they must be real bored!
    Even worse is when some random person will say "Syd Barrett is great" and then when you ask what was great about him, he'll point to a song he didn't write. I guess it's chic for some...

7. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I’m sure someone already mentioned the story of how Paul flubs on the piano during “Hey Jude” and curses because of it haha

8. MortSahlFan

John plays bass on "The Long and Winding Road" with a few mistakes, and even when he's playing the right note, he's not graceful with his left hand abrupt muting... Me and a friend used to always laugh at the end, when John does a goofy bass slide.

FJFP and Dodoz like this.
  9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

That is before they have a relative or a loved one having this type of issues. I've always loved Barrett, but I "got" what happened to him better when a friend of mine became schizophrenic in his early 20s. No romanticism in that. Alienation of the worst kind for the person, and it's not a party for the people around either.

10. MortSahlFan

I notice it also with those who died young. It takes away the talent they have as they focus on regular human foibles. (Oliver Stone's The Doors ). Sensationalism.

11. RedRoseSpeedway

I agree! This song is especially out of whack. But they’re such quirky albums and I’m really glad we have them around :)

Dodoz likes this.
  12. RedRoseSpeedway

I’ve always liked that part! I thought it was just how he was singing it “Living, is a, is a lie” anyway that’s how I heard it

Dodoz likes this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I love Syd's albums, don't get me wrong...If they were done today, they would be smoother, there'd be a ton of cut and paste, pitch adjusting, beats would be tight etc. but I wouldn't like them any other way than shaky and genuine!

Concentration and doing the same thing twice can be a real issue for psychotics, i noticed that with the aforementioned friend (and another friend). I'm not surprised they struggled to get two takes of Syd playing his material the same way. It doesn't necessarily have to do with his creativity.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Rolling Stones - "Tumbling Dice" - at 1:54 - this has always sounded like a screwed up tape splice to me.

15. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I don't know if this counts, but on the "Live From The Atlantic Studios" disc, Bon Scott repeats the same lyrics to "The Jack" both times before the chorus.

16. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

I'm quite sure Giles will fix Ringo's flub on Good Night (singing something different than the backing singers in the verse after the 'solo') on the White Album 50th edition

17. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Speaking of tape splice, in Judas Priests's "freewheel burning", at 3:07 it is totally obvious. To me it sounds like an LP skip. I imagine some who bought the LP thought they got a bad copy.
    It just sounds kind of sloppy.

Or this one, between 0:59 and 1:03, it sounds like the rhythm got lost. Even before that, it is like something is off. Rest of the song is awesome.

Cinderella - Bad Seamstress Blues, Fallin' Apart At The Seams

I do not know though because if obvious mistakes were unintentional in any song, wouldn't they just cut and do another take?

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Eric Clapton - Just One Night: he sings the same verse of Blue Power twice.

19. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

In a 2009 interview, Plain Dealer music critic John Soeder asked Don Henley this about the lyrics:

"On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.'" I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Do you regret that lyric?"

Henley responded:

"Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention—and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes."

What's the meaning of...

20. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Paul McCartney & Wings - “Helen Wheels” - Paul makes an error on bass coming in too early in one of the verses.

21. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Due credit to Henley for that retort. The journalist deserved it.

22. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The Beach Boys - Be With Me.

A new child is born
    The mother is still waiting
    Father's over there anticipating
    Won't you be with me
    It could set you (us) free
    Come with me
    Be with me
    A part of me

FJFP likes this.
  23. Weldon Harris

Weldon Harris Forum Resident

The Allman Bros Excellent cover of One Way Out from the closing of Fillmore west (which is on the Fillmore Concerts 2cd set) after the guitar/drum break Berry comes in on the root(I) chord when he should be on the IV chord Dickey drops back to the correct rhythm and gets Berry back in the right spot. When I listened to this to learn the bass for a band I was in I was shocked because I thought it was a perfect cover of an awesome blues song, but it's really not too noticeable because he's still playing the root chord of the song.

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

He was deviating from the norm.

25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I would have made it "in this ever changin' world in which we live in, 'n just in the end in the inside"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.