Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

This would make a great T shirt!

420JJJazz666, Plinko and Cjb2233 like this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I think something like 12 Mofi's on this list.
    Maybe someone should update the Discogs page?
    Michael Fremer's 100 All Analog In Print Reissued Records You Should Own by prockrog | Discogs Lists

the nightfly, Crazysteve and Fruff76 like this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

They are irrelevant

And best kept anonymous

YouCantWin likes this.
  4. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Video entitled “Mobile Fidelity mastering legends Shawn R. Britton and Rob LoVerde” from January 9, 2017

1:30 mark (a rough transcription attempt):

“Why don’t we talk about the Gain 2 Ultra-analog system, which is the system that we use in the LP cutting room?”

“Well, some people ask us questions like ‘is it an all-analog mastering chain?’ It is…”

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

6. SanFranciscoNo!

SanFranciscoNo! Well-Known Member

I have OG U.S. Apple...it takes no prisoners. Pressed in L.A.

7. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

They do kind of fit:
    [​IMG]

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  9. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

10. No

highfell and Juan Matus like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My early MOFI’s are mostly gold CD’s, until the early-mid 00’s, when I switched to vinyl. So most of my 140 MOFI vinyl records are therefore from the “questionable” era. I was pretty upset yesterday.

But, I thought about the Sunday at the Village Vanguard One Step. Despite growing up in a jazz household, I had always been a classic rock guy. I collected audiophile albums so of course I had a decent number of jazz records but rarely played anything other than the well known ones - Time Out, Kind of Blue, Getz Gilberto, Saxophone Colossus, etc.

But Village Vanguard left me stunned - the ambience of the live performance, the incredibly “real” sound of the drums, bass and piano. I was left seduced by the music. Finally, in my mid-50’s, I have developed a love for jazz and am rediscovering the records in my collection - and the catalyst was the One Step. Digital or not, that was a very rewarding purchase for me.

So maybe I will keep buying MOFI records. I would just appreciate not being misled about what I’m buying.

12. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

No reason to smear the good name of the Muppets

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Would "yes men" be more diplomatic for you.

14. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

I don't know, but I imagine that when old tapes are drawn from the vault and baked to make a new master they will make at least one analogue tape copy.

But then again knowing the past reputation of record companies, they are probably vastly underestimating the future value of those analogue copies and just throwing them in a corner somewhere.

420JJJazz666, Peter K and Adamjames like this.
  15. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/

LMFAO, Classic!

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

That's a pretty weird answer.

I'm just curious if he/they were revealed on the video or elsewhere. At this point, doing so would be at the acquiescence of MOFI anyway, so what's the big deal that they remain anonymous?

And no - I don't think it's irrelevant at all. Depending on who it is, it could shed some light on how widespread the knowledge of this was, for so many years.

17. You guys should stop the name calling.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’d still take MoFi’s over any Abbey Road 1/2 speed.

19. I’m not an attorney, but this video presents itself as serious evidence that could be used in a class-action lawsuit against Music Direct/Mobile Fidelity. This is their own promotional material.

All MoFi preorders are canceled. There are plenty of other excellent-sounding fish in the sea.

Cheers,

Bill

20. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Heard tell of some guy publicly speculating that a set advertised as an all-analog singles collection that came out in recent years could be digital because he thought it sounded off. Anyone else remember something like that?

21. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Have you ever heard of retaliation, my dude? I doubt MoFi would look too kindly upon the people who brought this sh!tstorm down on them.

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I’d only buy their vinyl if they don’t offer an SACD option. And then, only at 33 RPM

the nightfly likes this.
  23. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

or a warehouse with no fire suppression systems. HI UNIVERSAL!

MielR likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Reputation? OK. Deserved reputation? Debatable. Great vinyl. Often average sounding records.

IMO, it appears a common skill shared by both the old and newer iterations of MFSL is effective marketing BS.

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That one is great. Somehow found the UK first press in NM condition in the wild at my local shop in Northern Virginia back in 2015 for $17!

Mazzy likes this.