Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. playsFastForward

playsFastForward just as long as he can

I've gotten to the point where I may buy some deep discount The Nice Price records, but mostly laying off the expensive vinyl lately.
    Did you see that video about the batch of Walmart Van Halen 1 vinyl with the same clicks on many discs?
    Lately I've taken to buying a new $49 Blu-Ray player that plays SACD everytime I get a new release on SACD.
    My Ikea CD-holding shelves are starting to get full, but even more comical is the stacks of $49 Blu-Ray player boxes piling up.
    I can do this and still save money compared to the 1S.
    I'm thinking that if I can keep this up long enough, being surrounded by the shelves full of SACD's and stacks and stacks of $49 Blu-Ray player boxes, this will make the perfect backdrop for the hottest VC YouTube videos in no time flat.

the nightfly and mark winstanley like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sure, that's the takeaway if you want to completely misunderstand the issue and misdirect the conversation.

VQR, Vic Trola, Revolver and 6 others like this.
  3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

The problem with your theory is it's an impossibility, using two different source that require different equipment to master it will yield a different mastering for each.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Believers will still believe. There is no dose of reality powerful enough to break that level of faith.

It goes that way with many things in life.

5. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

And everyone would have been fine with that, if they had just said that's what they were doing. But they didn't and they used this deception to create a manufactured sense of scarcity (in the 1-steps) and charge premium prices for the privilege. Fortunately, I never fancied the titles or already had alternatives. Blue Note did digital transfers for their 75ths. I bought a pile of them. Some sound great and some don't - but that may have nothing to do with the digital step. Then they did AAA for the Classic / TP and I bought a load of them too - for a somewhat higher price. Deception and manufactured scarcity to justify a premium price is the issue. That and getting caught red handed.

Vic Trola likes this.
  6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

There can be multiple takeaways. Two things can be true.

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Devil's in the details. "Digital" is not specific enough.

8. Tony Neumayr

Tony Neumayr Well-Known Member

How about this:

Mike Esposito and Michael Fremer head to MoFi headquarters. The engineers at MoFi have an original master tape and a clone of the same tape (DSD256). They also have test pressings of the same tape and DSD256, all unedited. They listen to all 4 on the same system, A/B, etc. All recorded/streamed live via Youtube, or whatever.

Brainstorm this idea?

9. dkmonroe

One thing has been proven - MoFi misrepresented their product.

One thing has not actually been proven - that no one can actually tell the difference between a digitally sourced LP and an analog sourced LP. Is there strong evidence that it is true? Yes, to be honest, there is, but it has not (and probably cannot) be proven with the certainty that we can prove that MoFi misrepresented their product.

But again, the analog/digital debate is misdirection because most of us who collect LPs don't have a problem with digitally sourced LPs in principle - I have dozens and I enjoy them - the problem is that a company sold very expensive LPs with the clear implication that they were analog-sourced and they were not.

No Static, VQR, Twinsfan007 and 11 others like this.
  10. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Fremer says digital "hurts his ears". But some of his "Top 10 AAA records" are MoFi DSDs. Imagine that!

11. Schoolmaster Bones

I don't care about any of these guys.

I've done my own tests, several times, in several settings. I know what I'm capable of hearing, and what I'm not capable of hearing.

audiotom likes this.
  12. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I suggested that this would happen earlier in the thread and it doesn’t matter if it is true or not. The effect will be to further degrade the MoFi brand as people will listen more critically and (likely wrongly) ascribe perceived issues to the digital step.

And all the while, MoFi will continue to offer digitally sourced records at stupid prices. They need to wake up, adjust to the new reality, or they’ll be done.

the nightfly likes this.
  13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Where in the world do you get that they are applauding a company for lying to their customers? They are just applauding their end-results. Which most people in here did for years, for the majority of the 1-step titles - until they found out last week that, by doing so, it challenges a core belief.

14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Sorry, It was just a quick thought. I might not be able to tell between a 18 year-old and a 25 year-old Macallan but if I buy the later I want it to be a 25 year-old whisky.

15. dkmonroe

MoFi would have to be stupid to authorize such a test for multiple reasons. You don't ever subject the quality of your product to a test with an uncertain outcome.

VQR, Strat-Mangler and audiotom like this.
  16. Schoolmaster Bones

Yes, but the most glaring takeaway is that nobody noticed. All those people with golden ears and impeccable gear profiles.

17. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

It would be difficult to "prove" it, especially to many people here. Regardless, I'm pretty confident in my belief, as I always have been, that no one can tell the difference. This episode just further reinforces that belief.

I also agree that they misrepresented their product and would never have come clean w/o Arizona Mike's shocking expose :D

the nightfly and dkmonroe like this.
  18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Bernie Grundman and Kevin Gray have stated it takes them usually about 3 hours to master a recording in analog

Their work speaks for itself

Rockin' Robby, VQR, nosliw and 6 others like this.
  19. dkmonroe

That's entirely fair. Proving no one can tell the difference is indeed an impossible bar but some people seem to insist that it is more certain and more important than MoFi's obvious misrepresentation.

For my part, I do not contest the idea that digitally sourced LPs can sound as good as analog, I just wish MoFi had been more honest from the beginning. This whole thing should not have happened and it only hurts them. AAA advocates will not be budged by this.

20. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Not gonna spoil it, but the twist on page 327 is a doozy :)

Twinsfan007, OldSoul, 4-2-7 and 4 others like this.
  21. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

It's not an impossible bar. The issue is that the golden ear folks won't believe it. Which I guess doesn't matter.

the nightfly likes this.
  22. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Wonder where we can get the source for some of their older releases. Like the Allman Brothers - Self Titled, Sinatra at the sands, Milt Jackson - Invitation.

MrRom92 likes this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Pandora's box is officially opened.

24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

How about listening to the record

Multiple copies

Trust your own ears and it’s a case by case thing

Many a person can hear the same aspects inherent to each mastering

It is not just the Mikes

25. dkmonroe

No, it really is - it literally cannot be proven. People hear things differently.