Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. So will this then tell us that nobody is above the law?

TeddyB, brimuchmuze and rubberhead like this.
  2. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Suddenly… out of the darkness — Alice Walton appears with a conceited smile…

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Actually the court could issue an injunction. Violation of an injunction can potentially be contempt of the court's order with additional consequences.

We are getting way ahead of ourselves. Hundreds and hundreds of pages ago, I had suggested when we had a coterie of lawyers (less than a minyan) that all of us chill on the legal aspects and let it play out first. I'm still of that view. I felt the need to intercede upthread because I thought there were some misstatements of both law and fact. I'd like this to be a resource, not a mosh pit, but I'm not a Gort and will let you do as you will. Like somebody said, "it's just an opinion, man." :)
    Call me amused. Oh, and no legal advice intended.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think the family bought a couple blocks of homes here, downtown. If it is the Walton family of Wal-Mart fame. Have no clue what they are up to. Or is this the "John-Boy" Walton thing? I don't think he counts....

spewey likes this.
  5. spewey

spewey Senior Member

You’re on the right track — just don’t go too far down the Wal-Mart rabbit-hole… some have never returned.

[Disclaimer: Alice Walton… I was just kidding around… haha… I didn’t REALLY say anything that Wikipedia or Forbes hasn’t already printed!! Please… I have a family!!]

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, but they probably got super great deals on the equipment.

Iving likes this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Which is partly why it’s so infuriating they’re about to sell a $150 version that will probably be infinitesimally better than the standard MoFi, rather than just repressing that one

mpayan likes this.
  8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You read Fremer's eulogy of HP, right? I thought it was very powerful. Sad as well.

9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

One of the one steps I cancelled. Couldn't be happier

Crush87 likes this.
  10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Do you have the standard?

Im still without Bitches and Silent Way, but doesn’t seem like either have represses coming

11. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I did but it was one of the MOFIs I sold when I started comparing pressings. Preferred an original and the anniversary box. Still have the SACD though. The MOFI isn't bad at all but I think the boxset is a far better value in addition to being AAA

mpayan likes this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Which OG sounded better than the MoFi? I have a mid 70s issue that sounds only okay

13. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

After all the Crow Mofi is taking. I can't believe Chad would be dumb enough to take that route.

14. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

2 eye but a clean copy isn't that common. You can still get the anniversary box

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I’ll chime in, IMO the MOFI Bitches Brew is the best of all that I’ve heard. The detail and dynamics is outstanding. I have a 2 eye promo, 1971 red label, quad issue, 1st issue Japanese and 50th Anniversary, along with 3 SACD versions and 4 cd versions. I’ve ordered the one step. My favorite Miles album

mpayan, 4-2-7, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

A little bit off his or her rocker to begin with. Some kind of neurosis already present that has nothing to do with records. Something for a therapist to dig into. If it's not harming anyone I would just leave it alone. None of my business

Iving and Mazzy like this.
  17. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

The MOFI is fine but it's different. But I thought it was too polite compared to the 2 eye. Some of that extra detail comes at the cost of the tonal balance and energy. I don't think you can go wrong with the original MOFI for a good price but I wouldn't spend a 150 dollars on a DSD file in a box that is not likely to improve much on the original. For that price get an original and the quad for an interesting alternative

mpayan, j.barleycorn and Crush87 like this.
  18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

How does the Japan 1st issue rank among those?

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t know. However, a competitor would typically seek (i) compensation for damages resulting from the misleading statements (ii) public notice of the misleading statements to inform consumers, (iii) an injunction forcing the defendant to cease the misleading statements or stop selling the relevant product, (iv) attorneys fees. The primary objective of the competitor is often items (ii) and (iii), rather than monetary damages.

There was a case in which Apple brought a lawsuit in Japan to stop a competitor from selling a colorful PC product that customers were initially confusing for an iMac. There was no confusion at the time of purchase, but the product design and advertising drove confused customers to the competitor’s stores. Apple survived a motion to dismiss, and the company settled by changing its product color, ending customer confusion, which is all Apple wanted.

Rimowa recently won a case against a Chinese manufacturer to prevent then from selling the confusingly similar Aimowa luggage. The were granted an injunction, nominal damages and attorney fees.

In this case, MOFI has already acknowledged the misleading statements, and is proactive in taking steps to make sure that its products are truthfully advertised and packaged. So perhaps the primary objective of any competitor has already been achieved.

20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

For all the damages, unfair competition, etc that is being flogged in this thread.

21. Carl Swanson

If they're refunding money, what exactly are they getting away with?

A competent court will opine that they have cured, or are in the process of curing their own liability. Case dismissed.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Carl Swanson

I think I do, and if /when it hits the fan, the wailing and gnashing of teeth will drown out the entire MOFI "scandal."

MielR likes this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think the people that were really harmed were the small retailers, the brick and mortar stores or independent web stores that, at the peak of MOFI popularity, could not get allocations of MOFI products for their customers. Many of those customers, disappointed that their local stores had to cancel their preorders for sold out MOFI albums, began ordering regularly from Music Direct instead. I know that I changed to Music Direct, even with the added shipping costs, rather than take a chance that a great title, cut from the original master tapes, would be sold out before it reached my local retailer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    bajaed likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Speaking of crow. Some audiophile label should do the Black Crowes first album.

And not some overpriced BS. Just get KG to remaster to 33.3.

You audiophile companies and big wig companies, stop f'ing things up and jerkin us around.

Get back to the basics. We are starting to revolt.

ubiknik, Queezma and Henry Love like this.
  25. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

People should have revolted at $120+ records right from the start.

ubiknik, lpfreak1170, Iving and 6 others like this.