Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Audiophile labels are so yesterday.

UMe can do AAA anytime they please.

mpayan likes this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well, I have shopped from many small retailers, and I don't think any were dependent on MoFi for a revenue stream.

It's probably good you purchased from MD as you can now ask for a refund.

I hate to think what indie stores may be going through with MoFi complaints.

3. And because almost every label does something some folks would find objectionable

Otto Konrad and Curiosity like this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No. What did he say?

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Chad's explination on the video is those are being created for UMG to press a regular 33 rpm version which will be seperate from his line of UHQR, sacd and eventually a slimmed down box free 45 rpm version.
    Almost certainly contractual: UMG doesn't want competing 33 rpm versions to their own out.

6. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Haha, yes, that is one way of looking at it. They are in a spot of hot water, I agree. Remember not everybody spending five/six figures on listening lands on these forums or even knows anything about the underlying engineering technology. They are happy to defer to their dealers on choice of kit and records. Our local HiFi dealer stocks MoFi.

7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Which IMO is silly because people buying AP's 33rpm will never buy UMG's digital vinyls.

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:agree:
    File under "Record business practices".
    :sigh:

9. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

This will be funny in two years time when we're up to page 3067 of the "Analogue Productions Has Been Cutting Vinyl From Digital Since A Long Long Long Long Time" thread.

10. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

:D

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As more people speak, it becomes clearer that Mofi's reasoning is correct regarding sourcing of master tapes. As such, this situation casts a shadow of doubt over everyone. Would anyone really be surprised if other so called "all analog" releases actually had a digital step? I wouldn't!

4-2-7, misteranderson, mpayan and 2 others like this.
  12. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Clearer to you.

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It nicely detailed but slightly veiled

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

In a recent youtube interview with Miles Showell of Abbey Road, he goes into why its so important to not play the mastertapes over and over. To limit the use as much as possible. While Im not much a fan of the 1/2 Speed lps, I think he definitely makes some good points why digital archiving and the use of digital to make transfers is so important to preserve tapes for future use. No doubt digital will improve even more and having the tapes in as good a shape as possible is of great importance when and as those advancements come.

@16:50 is where Miles talks about this.

"Its a myth that it doesnt wear a (master)tape out every time you run it on the machine..."

Good interview overall actually...

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes, of course clearer to me. It was made clear by statements from both PSAudio and Abbey Road studios. Do you doubt both of them?

If not, what is not clear at this time? It seems to me that we want labels to transparent, but if they are they beaten over the head with it.

16. playsFastForward

playsFastForward just as long as he can

In the future there could be a day when all music is digital, just like in the past all music was analog. Today we have the best of both worlds and opportunities to discern differences and make choices to increase enjoyment.

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's all opinions at this point, but personally I consider a digital step as an inevitability. Tapes won't last forever, and they're not an ideal medium since they can deteriorate. They're also large, heavy, and need special care. Digital is far simpler, and exact copy each time. How can anything but digital be the future? Certainly not to satisfy a niche of people within a niche of people. When assessing things, I always go on what I'm hearing. It may be all analog, it may have a digital step, but for me bad is bad, good is good. That's all that matters.

18. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Interesting point and probably 100% correct. If we look at the way photos are taken, processed, along with the results that we currently enjoy, then digital is certainly the way to go. How many folk here still use film cameras, and if so, can they really state that the results they get are in any way superior to the digital?

While I don't think that digital is quite up to the best analog when it comes to our home audio reproduction, it is more than likely going to surpass analog at some point in time. This fact is not lost on most of the a'philes that I know, but this really is not the issue that we are discussing when it comes to the Mo-Fi lie, IMHO.

WhatDoIKnow and Nielsoe like this.
  19. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

I still use a medium format film camera

20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

My daughter has four film cameras, and though I don’t know what medium format is, I’m sure she does. She’s 19. She definitely prefers the more tactile, physical aspect of film to digital.

21. And it is harder and harder to get film developed unless you do it yourself.

In the professional photo words unless it’s a very specific creative project, clients want nothing to do with analog film. They want the relative cheapness and quickness of digital along with ease of retouching and manipulation.

22. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

What if that DSD file Mofi sounds better than any version that exists?

mpayan and playsFastForward like this.
  23. auswil91

auswil91 Active Member

I tried making a new thread which I feel is warranted but it got moved to this one. I guess everyone's sick of talking about it.

24. This was good. I guess Analog-philes should stay clear.

mpayan likes this.
  25. Universal in the UK is doing high Rez files of all their tapes. All day every day. A good archiving department. Good people doing it.

They offered to send me the tapes of the Police and I turned them down. Ampex tapes and that’s another problem. That tape becomes unstable I don’t want to be the one one who kills Roxanne (the Police) and ruin the highs. Agfa works and is stable. Ampex tape new was great but after 20-25 years not so much …..

- I’m paraphrasing Miles Showell

mpayan likes this.