Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They can always change their minds. Maybe firing those mastering engineers would help.

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Hey guys let's not forget that for the vast majority of us, including myself, this is just a hobby. Yes, we can at times be passionate, but in the end it's just a pastime. Like the model railroading I'll be doing... It's just a hobby. :angel:

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I already invested in land along the line you are going to be running-- in the expectation there will be a need for saloons, gambling and you know, the other stuff that comes with the railroad.

4. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

I have always suspected it was these three engineers who made both the choice to master from DSD and then the decision to lie about it. I don't think it was coincidence that the engineers were picked to talk to Arizona Mike either. Accountability.

I just don't see John Wood or Jim Davis having the substantive knowledge to make these decisions. And they have never been taped or interviewed stating what was done was all AAA. Only those engineers.

My sense is, unlike AP’s owner/executive Chad, Davis and Woods are far removed from the remastering engineer choices, beyond their budgetary impact. I remember our host stood up for the MoFi engineers early on, and I’m spitballing, but I wonder.

Classicrock and Tullman like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There can be many reasons for that.

6. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Apologies if I’m mixing you up with someone else as it must be well over a month ago but if it’s the posts I’m thinking off, you were upset the customer service rep just cancelled your order when you phoned up and you felt it strange they didn’t try to convince you to do otherwise?

General consensus was the reps had enough on their plates at the time and thought it was strange for you to complain that they did what you phoned up for.

RobCos02330 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

This post is kinda what a few of us are talking about . . .

mpayan, mikeyt and Carl Swanson like this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Who cares? They've been going bug**** crazy on me for years. Water off a duck's back.

9. Carl Swanson

I saw that movie(s)!!

10. Carl Swanson

The don't do the marketing, and they should not be called upon to explain or justify it.

By the same token, the marketing suits don't make the technical decisions.

The two functional streams only flow together at the top levels.

11. Carl Swanson

Yep.

Don't fire technicians for their inability to gracefully cover up administrative decisions. That's throwing them to the wolves, under the bus, however you wanna phrase it.

mikeyt likes this.
  12. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I'll build the full Analogue Productions facility into the layout and the sun will always shine there. I'll have MoFaux in the layout as well and they'll always have bad weather. I'll figure out a way to make it rain there in the layout. My psychiatrist says this will be therapeutic... :crazy:

Biff Jones and WMTC like this.
  13. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I knew somebody who lived in Pasadena who had an amazing train collection. It was all in glass cases lining walls with corridors, like a museum. I don't remember seeing an operating layout but those can be amazing. I used to love that stuff as a kid. I think as you get older, your toys get fancier, to a point. Then it's the glue factory. :)

WMTC and MonkeyMan like this.
  14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Apropos the shrink thing, I've found, since I retired, that tech support for computers, phones and software is the "new" therapy. You talk to somebody, then do some stuff you don't really understand but somehow, after some use of your time, you are supposed to walk out/hang up feeling better. :) I knew a guy who was a completely interesting dude. Was a paratrooper in WWII. Had a psychopharmacologist who was also a buddy, and at dinner, the doctor would say, "Fred, I don't think it is a good idea to drink that whole bottle of vodka given your medication." It was straight out of Hunter Thompson. Dude did die young- 69 years old. He had a Marantz 7 with the "C"abinet and the old stereo tube amp. He was a cool dude. We don't make many people like that anymore.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I am sure they made the technical decision on how to get (in their opinion) the best sounding masters, but marketing would not be their responsibility.

Unless you are thinking they never revealed their process to the management team? Sounds unlikely.

mpayan, mikeyt and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I agree with you. This, and the marketing would be management, except for the Sean Britton video circa 2017. (And I'm not saying that to bust chops-- I think the engineers probably did arrive at a conclusion that 4xDSD was the bomb, but I don't think that was a secret from management). Marketing department is internal based on my inferences. Who knows what they knew?
    Sorry if I sound accusatory. I'm just trying to play this straight. I'm disappointed in MoFi and the legacy press. I'm not raging. :)

Tullman, VQR and mikeyt like this.
  17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Be careful.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not sure how firing engineers and management would solve anything that strictly AAA proponents desire. Do folks think that magically someone else will come in and be able to do all analogue as the new Mofi? And if they did replace them that there would be as many different titles being done as there are now? You'd simply have another AP with limited titles. AND with the same mastering issues.

Im all for replacing the engineers, but not due to DSD. My reason would be as they always have been, for better mastering. Something Mofi has been doing in their mastering doesn't add up the best sounding pressings many times. Out of the 4 listening sample comparisons I have posted, not one resulted in the Mofi sample being the best. While I understand its a limited test, its about as close as one can get to being perfect.

And even disregarding those comparison samples, we still have found that Mofi is very hit and miss on mastering. That philosophy, whatever it is that is being done in mastering to make the product subpar sounding many times, is what should change. And if that were to be different engineers, Im all for that.

However, Id rather them revamp their mastering ideology and methodology though. Fat chance Shawn or Rob would do this though. Or could. Who knows what the equipment limits them to do as far as mastering.

19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The buck stops with Davis.

Marv Headroom, VQR and MonkeyMan like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I’m not freaking out here. I just think the mastering engineers are part of this whole debacle. Just my opinion. Accountability that’s all.

DaveyF likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

T
    The engineers are likely the people that sold Jim Davis on the DSD process. The engineers and Jim Davis are accountable for the decision. Marketing is also accountable for lying along with the engineers.

DaveyF, VQR, Biff Jones and 1 other person like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Fire the engineers for better mastering and the whole dsd philosophy.

bajaed likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Heard a track from the new Soul album this morning. OK (he didn't add anything to the original) but not going to tempt me to buy it. I'm not generally a fan of covers albums though as Mazzy said in his video the Dylan ones were surprisingly good. Artist needs to put their own stamp on it. Only Tori Amos and a few others seem to have that skill set.

24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

It all seems little more than vindictive to be looking to sake employees for the short comings of company policy the policy to lie to its customer base.

Maybe some here have their own agenda going on but it really is a little naive in making an employee, or group of employee's accountable for those lies. Its not like Davis was unaware of what was going on and he hadn't sanctioned this policy.

Marv Headroom likes this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I wonder if people in marketing knew about the process in any detail? Those answering email queries probably didn't at least.