Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, if you ever hear one.

2. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Maybe true but what is the better comparison now?

AAA or a 192/24 file.

I speculate the later.

3. Although not specifically, MoFi has perpetuated this illusion for years. Literally on their masthead amongst other places

4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I'm with you 100% brother! They need to increase the production schedule on these out of print titles or I'm gonna go broke!! Keep 'em coming!!

BuCo likes this.
  5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

You were totally correct, no question.

Anyone who has defended MOFI as analog for years, based on evidence available, and from mofi directly are hardly at fault for ultimately being wrong.
    I ended up being totally duped. After they responded to my inquiry with a '100%, totally analog, no digital' response, i would have continued to defend them,
    and felt there was no interpretation of their marketing that left room for doubt. Today, i'm flabbergasted that a brand with a "reputation" like mofi
    has been so deceitful towards their customers. But sure, fair play - you were right, but i never understood what you based your skepticism on,
    when there didn't appear to be any publicly available evidence they were cutting from DSD files.

nosliw, Peter K, audiotom and 4 others like this.
  6. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

I'll be right behind you, if they manage to dip in price below 70s Columbia circle red label pressings.

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

Shouldn't they take all this nonsense off their descriptions at this point?
    "MASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MASTER TAPES FOR SUPERIOR SOUND AND LIMITED TO 40,000 NUMBERED COPIES"

8. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

You're correct.

Some is probably an understatement.
    I just appreciate the grave dancing generalization going on.
    Digital is not superior. Is it good? Yes

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  9. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

The thing that probably bothers me most about all this is the story they concocted that the term "original master recording" really means only that the provenance of the tracks has been verified as having existed on the OMR. Seriously, that's about as lame and as slick an explanation as I've ever heard ... a pure crock of excrement.

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

4-2-7 should have the text of it if he kept the DM's, i'm pretty sure it was him who i was continuing the conversation with after moderators
    told people to stop posting about it in the Sade thread. (It's also possible it was someone else, but i don't think so)

There were another bunch of pages that moderators deleted because the whole discussion was off-topic and there was a bunch of clean up
    and complaints about it being in the thread.

I dumped several thousand personal emails about 6 months ago, after my password was hacked. I'll just say that i have some
    academic training and understand sourcing, and attributing sources. But almost 2 years later, i never kept copies of the discussion,
    it really didn't seem that important at the time.

Clucking likes this.
  11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, I get that. The 45 was probably the most “crankable.” It was mastered a little warmer.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Licensing

13. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I found that part to be pretty odd too.

I’m not sure much of anyone would’ve given that description before today if you asked them what they thought that phrase was indicating.

beverett, 2.1Channels and Randy like this.
  14. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

Yep. To hear it articulated like that I totally agree.

Randy likes this.
  15. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I agree with you 100%. However, as pointed out in a previous post buried in this thread, the same "Original Master Recording" banner is also on the MoFi SACD :shrug:

16. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Have you heard the OG?

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You are right. They are not equal.
    SACD is an EXACT copy of the master.
    CD is an exact copy of the master up to 22.05 khz (only a problem if you have super human hearing)
    Vinyl is CD with the dynamic range severely limited, sound compromises based on whether the track is on the outer or inner grooves, noise floor audible on quiet passages etc.
    Bottom line is why didn't anybody spot that all those vinyl MOFIs were digital up to now? And they were rumbled circumstantially, not based on people listening to the LP's in question, but by process of elimination.

18. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Haven't heard the 45rpm. Just have the nice Winchester pressing. You may have the edge there.

19. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

Agreed! So, everyone was scammed across the board. The complete lack of integrity and total deception on display here is utterly mindblowing and, IMHO, merits an inquiry from the Federal Trade Commission.

Boots71, Tullman and PATB like this.
  20. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

That interview was an underhand slow-pitch softball.

aorecords and 4-2-7 like this.
  21. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I actually thought that part of the video was pretty good and made sense.
    The idea that the OMR band across the top stood for "AAA" is easily proved false by looking at their SACD's.
    Here is the Filles 45rpm vs the SACD covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

Could they have been making the sacds intentionally worse than the vinyl? After today, certainly a possibility. Wonder if they will ever answer questions about this stuff ever again.

23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

This may bring clarity and a standard to reissues going forward. Descriptions on reissues are all over the place if they are there at all.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  24. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

I would just assume that the sacd is straight from the master tape just like the vinyl. Not from a tape copy or the best available tape they could get their hands on. It's a given that sacd is digital in the end.

the nightfly and Tommyboy like this.
  25. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

Of the thousands of polls that we have on this site, it's really a shame we don't have one for this issue.

4-2-7 likes this.