Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

All they really need to do is make great-sounding redbook CDs and sell them for $20 a pop. It really doesn't have to be this complicated.

One thing this entire controversy has laid bare, though, is that people simply cannot tell the difference between high-quality digital and pure analog. Otherwise the alarm bells would have gotten rung years ago.

I will say, though, in jest, that I made this thread about MoFi LPs having a weird tonality to them in 2017. Maybe I have the elusive "golden ears..." :p

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thats true and I guess you wouldn’t care if you didn’t like jazz. I’d love to see some more modern well done audiophile quality reissues by other companies. MOV does do some nice ones. I’ve got a wide range in tastes from 50’s (or earlier) to present although I don’t particularly care for Nu Metal, Rap, or Pop.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. I am drooling waiting for the Van Halen SACDs. Don't know if they can beat Steve's debut remaster though.

4. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Well alright, I happen to like herring. I used to order Maury Amsterdam at the local deli - it was basically a herring-melt.

5. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

that's an oxymoron

Tullman likes this.
  6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

You know I just thought of something. One of my uncles used to say the most trustworthy person is someone who got caught once. Thereafter, they are very likely overly open and transparent. I still won't knowingly buy anymore dsd sourced vinyl, but in the future if MoFi states that a given release will be truly AAA, I would buy it.

Kyhl and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So...550 pages in yet, sorry if I haven't had the time to check for myself...has anybody yet apologized for having spent seven years listening to the company's product, and pointed out that they knew all along, it had the distinct taint of "demon cold, cold, digital" to it, and never said anything...? :waiting:

:whistle:

Aaaaaand, that's why I find this thread both hilarious and pointless at the same time. Too little too late, golden-ear crowd...! Now if you'll excuse me, the first side of my CD is finished, and I have to go turn it over - oh, wait-! :biglaugh:

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This kind of skews the poll. I am pretty sure you are not the only voter that hasn't purchased a one step, ever. I am more interested in those that have one steps and won't purchase any more.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

10. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

Seeing as DSD can sound fantastic when used as the source for a record, I would buy from them if it was something other than the same old boring US artists like The Eagles, Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle etc. There is no danger of them ever releasing special "One Steps" of my favourite band either, heh. Would love true "One Steps" of their analogue recorded albums.

Glad I did not waste $250 to buy Tapestry for my mum.

Kyhl likes this.
  11. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I can't wait for next month's reveal that "Mobile Fidelity has been cutting SACDs from 16/44 since a long time ago." :^)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    April Snow and DaveyF like this.
  12. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Different gear. Different results. That’s all.

13. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

In the last few years I’ve come to realize that’s better than multiple copies of the same boomer rock. And so much cheaper.

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Pleasantly surprised to see the poll as close as it is with over 50% still purchasing records in the future. The One Step division will likely be taking a hit though.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

My bad, did not realize this would be strictly vinyl releases only. I still think the ongoing expose is going to threaten MOFI's digital release sales as well, that would be where I would fit in.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know what this means.
    1. Does it mean the masterings will be at lower resolution than the VH same title which is DSD 256?
    2. Does it mean they are going back to the original tapes and cutting those to vinyl?
    3. Does it mean they are just trying to stop the bleeding/ the cancellations and giving hope to those who already have pre-orders, and still give us the DSD 256.

3 won't work. It will just piss people off even more.

dislocatedday and Uglyversal like this.
  17. Rose River Bear

It always has for me as well. Only a couple of MOFI CD/SACDs I have contain mastering I am not crazy about.

Rockin' Robby, mpayan and audiomixer like this.
  18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Tell that to Hoffman directly.
    Seriously. I’d love to hear his response.

19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

It means exactly what you think it means… vague language. The thing MOFI just apologized for and promised to stop doing.

What it probably means is they have not yet started the mastering process for those albums and will update the public when they finish performing the work.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ll take 3.

Tullman and Uglyversal like this.
  21. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If I was on the receiving end of the profits I would not feel so pleasant about it. On the other hand the poll might not be all that representative of what is going to happen. That is at least in the short term because I have no doubt most customers still don't know about this story.

22. Rose River Bear

So for those that voted "no", I guess a fair assumption is those folks do not believe that the vinyl format has any advantages over CDs unless it is totally analog. A digital sourced CD and vinyl are one in the same when it comes to quality of sound to those folks.:D

the nightfly and Tullman like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I spin it a lot and enjoy its quality. It's enough for me.

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Most likely!

It might work fine for the apologists but even many of them might consider pushing for a resurgence of SACD which is now on life support but could still recover.

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I was thinking the same thing. My DCC CD’s sound excellent