Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Yep, reproducing sleeve art would figure to go towards making it appealing

heartbroken_poet likes this.
  2. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

Speaking for myself, I DO want more high quality Dylan, although perhaps from someone other than MoFi for obvious reasons. I wasn't around the first time Street-Legal came out (well I was, but I was still 2-3 years away from "The Stars Come Out on Sesame Street"). I sure would like to see his entire catalog done well. I've got plenty of Dylan left to explore. I limit myself to a few artists and get everything in their catalog. I wouldn't do well with a shotgun approach. There is too much.

Thriller, incidentally, was the first "real" album I bought, when I was 7 or something. I would have preordered the One Step if not for MoFi's dishonesty. Glad I held off. Also I'd have to get MJ's entire catalog, though. Not ready to do that.

Big Blue, Tullman and bruinuclafan like this.
  3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It sounds really good although I personally would not describe it as amazing. The vinyl is dead quiet, my particular pressing is a bit off center. Ironically the first thing I did was to get it out of the statically charged paper sleeve and put it into a MOFI one.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

James Taylor Greatest Hits:
    Mastering Source to Be Determined Closer to Production Date; Specifics Will Be Posted Here When Authenticated

I don't know what this means either. It originally said the source was DSD 256. Why change it now? If this is just a ploy to stop cancellations, I will cancel this and many more if they are still DSD 256 when released. This kind of crap will only make Mofi look worse than they already have looked.

Vic Trola, Kyhl, BuyMeVinyl and 6 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It was a whole statement. You selectively took one section of it, removing the context that surrounds it. I can't help you with that.

You're angry and emotional, and I understand that, but you are comparing listening to music, that thousands say sounds great (we all know the superlatives that have been thrown around for many of these titles) with a chef force feeding faeces to people... I don't see any point in bothering really, there is nothing I could say to sooth hyperbole like that.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I mastered that for AF.

We sifted through 30 master and safety reels looking for the first generation mix of each and every song on that bad boy. What a buttcluster that was. Came out well though. I mean I can play it without cringing, so that's something.

Doing all that over? I wish them luck!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Harrison, marka, Kyhl and 23 others like this.
  7. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

Well I can only speak for myself, but what I buy is not limited to the topics of conversation here. I listen to a lot of independent radio here in Richmond VA and discover new artists all the time. Unfortunately, a lot of these bands/guys/girls don't have major labels behind them. I buy way more new music than I do One Steps, etc... However, in an effort to build up or upgrade my collection, I usually jump on the Mofi titles that interest me when they come out.

Kyhl, I-OD and mikedifr0923 like this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t read it the same way. I don’t see having bought One-Steps as being necessary to vote for that option, if this revelation is the reason for no longer even considering buying them.

9. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

I would love to own that one, too.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think you just broke our hearts again with another unreleased AF ...

11. Steve Hoffman

Sorry. It would have been SACD only though..

Tullman and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It certainly could be a ploy.

Perhaps someone in the office in their zeal to update, incorrectly labeled some titles?
    Perhaps they did use the dsd256 and are considering going back to the tapes?

Hard call with the way all this is going at the moment

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  13. Uglyversal

I didn't. I have some LPs I really like where I do own multiple copies but there are also thousands of famous records I don't own even a singe copy of. What is it to you how other people choose to spend their money anyway?

Big Blue likes this.
  14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

As I recall, the original pressings of that sounded great. Gorilla did not. I was a fan back then, don't really listen to James much these days. Have no idea what an early LP copy goes for in top condition these days. This was the kind of big selling record you could find in a used bin very cheaply not that long ago. (His band was killer when I saw him in the '70s-David Lindley, Victor Feldman and that L. Sklar crew outta LA).

15. Uglyversal

Being a compilation I think that guarantees it will be a digital master regardless of any attempt to leave you hopping for something else. Otherwise is cutting and splicing songs from the original tapes or making a dupe.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  16. 2much Vinyl

2much Vinyl Forum Resident

I don't mind how people spend their money, I just made a comment on how it seems like Chad and MoFi, only seems to press the same old music that has been out for ever. I would have thought based on the titles that most of it is being purchased from older audiophiles, and most of that buying demographics would have already had most all these titles.

One has to wonder what the demographics are on who purchases expensive limited "One Step" releases. I recently picked up the Classic Records Holly Cole, "Temptation" box set and I think it is a great record set for really good quality vinyl. IMO some records and it isn't about which records a person likes but rather the genre and the intimacy, makes it a better candidate from an audiophile pressing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I read the header as meaning "youve purchased, will you continue?"

I mean who cares about someone who hasnt purchased one as far as what the polls design is for. Which is really to see how Mofi will be affected by this.

If someone wasnt going to purchase in the first place, that wouldnt have affected sales, right?

So by counting oneself into the pole if you are not a customer really shouldnt occur. "I wasnt going to purchase anyway, but Ill vote no because I wasnt going to purchase anyway.."...ok.

I guess it depends on how one sees the purpose of the poll. And as far as I can tell, everyone sees it as a gauge as to whether Mofi will crap out or not.

But really we are getting caught in the forrest a bit again.

We know this is not going to be good for Mofi. What that degree is? We dont know. And we arent going to know exactly from this poll for various reasons.

Doesnt mean the poll is totally worthless? No.

I appreciate the Gorts doing one (no way it could be perfect most likely. So no blame on them imo).

It just means that saying "Oh look they are losing half their customers!" based on this poll is not reality.

But certainly we can guess safely that this isnt going to be good for them.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

ARKUS live is one of, perhaps the very best, digital recording on vinyl that I have ever heard. When it first came out, I was enamored of it enough to acquire multiple copies. It was only after a few months did I realize I had acquired a digital recording…but in this case MoFi never denied that the record was a digital recording, in fact I think it says something to that effect on the box. However, even then, MoFi certainly did not go out of their way to disclose the digital aspect.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was in boss :(

Please dont tell us Rumours was also going to be an AF..

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I thought this was an ELP record from the early days I missed. The acronyms sometimes aren't so easy to decipher. Yeah, that live A Krause/Union Station box is nice.

black sheriff and DaveyF like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

It cost too much darn money, sadly.

22. Uglyversal

Despite what you might presume there are lots of people who don't have copies of such albums. Yes there are some of us that sometimes have repeats but who buys more? Lots of people have been introduced to vinyl relatively recently and they owned no records, just a read through the hardware forum would make that very clear.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the BG cut, and I believe that is AAA? It sounds great, though. I really don't need the 1S, especially if it is DSD sourced.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, that would have been killer.

Well, Ive still got my complete set of AF's ..miss those days of DCC and AFs coming out.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Betcha Bernie didn't spend three weeks sifting through every James Taylor master in the vault trying to find the original first generation tapes (nor would anyone expect him to..)