Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I think with all the AAA VMP Sony reissues it’s apparent that Sony will lend out the tapes, its probably up to the artists

BuyMeVinyl, bruinuclafan and mikemoon like this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is a good point and kind of why I brought it up. I know Fremer stated Sony doesn't let them out anymore but that may just be partially true. I think they certainly have a trusting relationship with RKS/Sterling even after the Nashville move.

Maybe they trust a handful of mastering labels and/or mastering engineers (RKS, Grundman/Bellman, Gray). Or Battery Studios creates a 1:1 tape copy for certain circumstance. Just speculation.

I'd rather trust (always have) than distrust. I believe in caution too.

The world always looks better through an optimistic eye.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    RobCos02330 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

That doesn't change my point. I've no wish to pursue this further.

cwd likes this.
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

It probably helped that the Capital Audiofest had a sizable record show in the atrium.

Biff Jones likes this.
  5. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

No, definitely not. MoFo has been pressing low bitrate PCM to vinyl for a very very long time.

BuyMeVinyl and Joe Stark like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As usual?

Ive mentioned several times what they did was wrong.

Have called them liars.

Have said that people are absolutely justified at feeling they were done wrong.

I havent completely ignore anything. Ive tried to be balanced is all.

Is Mofi lieing etc the main point sure. But its not the ONLY point.

You dont think that tons of people thinking they were hearing AAA when its digital is different than just saying "Yep, digital lps can sound good"?

I certainly do.

And while many know that digital lps can sound good, I think we can see from this fiasco that many many didnt realize just *how* good.

Thats the difference.

Ive never once said they shouldnt be upfront about what exactly they are doing.

But I also live in the reality that they most likely will not. They arent going to take every piece of there equipment apart schematically and define what it does. Or whatever it is folks are wanting now. Nor should they have to.

Theyve admitted what they did. And are now trying to be more transparent about sources.

That is what we basically wanted right?

If people want them to write a letter saying "We are liars. We are sorry we lied." that aint happenin.

Why?

Because it could be a very bad thing if they land in court. Thats reality. Do I like that his letter was weak sauce? Nope. But were we expecting much more. If so, thats not reality.

Again, I may not like Jim Davis' letter. But thats reality.

Thinking that Mofi is going to all the sudden cave and start doing AAA on titles is most likely fantasy. Its a different world in mastering now.

Ive said many times it isnt cool what theyve done to their customers. So I dont know what posts of mine you are not reading. But you certainly havent read all of them.

How am I suppose to know how they are going to move forward? I have no idea. And no one else does either. Only Mofi knows what they may or may not do.

Maybe you could tell us?

My point of the post was there are many different points and facets to this that affect many people in many different ways.

They arent going to go back to AAA. Unless we want them to turn into AS. Which I have no desire to see another label that has such a focus on the same titles over and over. Ive mentioned also that Id like to see them go cheaper if they are going DSD and even mentioned to do free DSD downloads.

So I dont think youve read my all my posts and if you have, then you havent understood them or read them thoroughly.

If they go the cheap route on DSD it isnt only because of all the AAA people who stood up for what is right. Many dont see them doing digital as wrong but how they went about it as wrong. So dont pat you analogue backs too hard there buddy.

It is a combination of many things as to if and when they would drop prices. Utmost being a guy called their bluff and busted their scheme.

But again, I live in the reality of this not some pipedream hope that they will somehow have a significant price drop. If they do? Awesome. Im all for saving money. But if they dont, should I say "Well, I guess you AAA folks were wrong again!"

No, because regardless of your opinion, that hasnt been what I have focused on. I am not analogue or digitally biased. O dont care to jump on either bandwagon. I am sound quality focused. Period. Ive focused on many angles. Even irrational ones that folks push.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  7. Fruff76

So much drama for a label that was occasionally releasing very played out music.

akmonday, bootbox, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think that is a good point to consider. We dont know. And this little world we live in here at SHF may seem like some sort of statistic in which one ring rules all of audiophile, but is that reality? I doubt it.

I mentioned awhile back that I went over tons of posts and comments from FB and Youtube. Id venture around 1000 and was surprised at how many basically said "Ive always loved your product! Always will! This doesnt change anything for me".

Very different from what this thread shows.

How it all plays out is anyones guess really. I dont know Mofi's cushion on this. Nor do I know how many cancellations or litigations there are.

One thing we do possibly know is Music Direct isnt soley dependent upon Mofi sales to survive. If what was quoted earlier from someone who is part of Music Direct it would seem selling equipment is their bread and butter and thad vinyl is to appease the audiophiles.

How that cushion directly affects Mofi? I dont know.

the nightfly and Flaming Torch like this.
  9. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Thankfully, Brad Miller, the founder and manager of the original Mobile Fidelity, will never witness this debacle...

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Those swines!!

klockwerk likes this.
  11. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

I'm just saying, who better to deliver the news, soften the blow? The guy that everybody watches on YouTube every week and trusts his opinion on all things analog/digital good press/bad press? Or they do it themselves as you suggest? You see how people are reacting to the company themselves, here.

It is what it is.

12. JKeniley

JKeniley Forum Resident

I just tried to clean up my Music Direct pre-orders by phone. I have to say the experience was less than OK.

It turns out that Music Direct recently changed out its ordering software resulting in my account showing all of my orders as open even when most of it had been shipped already.

I tried to clean up that mess and then I moved on to dropping some of the One-Steps I had per-ordered.

I got a lot of sighing and attitude when I was trying to drop the One-Steps and the person was unwilling to finish the clean-up with me.

I am a very reasonable customer and I never show disrespect to the customer service folks.

I have been relatively indifferent to the MOFI scandal, but I have to say I am surprised at their lack of concern for good customers and their very poor customer service.

I have spent a lot of money with Music Direct over the last year.

After this call I'm moving on.

There are plenty of other great vinyl companies to spend my money for reasonably priced recordings.

jriems, aroney, indyalden and 12 others like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

In this economy they are probably focused on surviving. I work less now so I can afford to yammer in a Mofi thread. Not so sure its about intelligence but rather different points in our lives. In 40 yrs theyll be yelling at the sky clouds also :D

btf1980 likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The days of swine and vinyls.

thrivingonariff, Merrick and Tommyboy like this.
  15. Pretorius

Pretorius Forum Resident

No

16. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I know it will mean little now, but I’ve had the MoFi Kiko since release and always thought it was one of their best sounding records, very holographic with great texture. Now we discover it’s one of the few AAA titles, interesting.

Also the fact that labels like Sony don’t allow MoFi to use their tapes directly but do allow other mastering houses, makes me wonder if MoFi got a bad rep with the labels at some point.

OldSoul, patient_ot and BuyMeVinyl like this.
  17. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The conspiracy theorists are out in force today, now the working theory is that it was a planned event, that MoFi outed themselves…WOW! This thread is officially out of control.

Kyhl, cwd, rofffe and 12 others like this.
  18. Britt in VA

Conspiracy theory? No. I just think it's a helluva coincidence.... A The In Groove employee started this thread with a ready to go video, four days later Mike is at Mofi doing in depth interviews with their engineers.

DaveyF, jgrillo, 4-2-7 and 1 other person like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No. I think that is boardering on paranoid conspiracy. They would have happily done the scheme all the way into retirement.

20. Fruff76

I’ve had some good experiences with Music Direct, and some where the folks were jerks. Some of them have to be family members because I can’t imagine a place holding onto employees like that otherwise

21. Britt in VA

Paranoid to what end? I'm not one that plans on discontinuing purchasing from Mofi.

the nightfly likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If I were cancelling, Id probably just get a new CC and let them wonder why my old one isnt working.

23. Britt in VA

You guys think, in this day and age, that that is against the realm of possibility?

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Anything is possible. Not everything is reasonable.

Kyhl and Farmer Mike like this.
  25. Britt in VA

Almost all companies use social media influencers to promote their product, dispel rumors about their product, or put information about their product.

Mike from The In Groove is absolutely a social media influencer.

Mazzy likes this.