Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Yes. Most likely, the income of Mofi is much, much less. How big do people think they are?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're making it personal which speaks volumes.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Children, please.

4. mristuccia

mristuccia Forum Resident

Now, does this whole story mean that, all other things being equal, until DSD 256 the analog format did sound better than digital? And that only now that we have DSD 256 the super-ultra-expert mastering engineers are starting to be confident enough that digital can be up to analog?

Because the alternate option would not be that appreciative for MoFi: laziness mixed with greed.

For sure the "distrust" and the "lack of transparency" prizes have been already won by MoFi.

BuyMeVinyl likes this.
  5. DocWatsonSees

DocWatsonSees Forum Resident

Sorry if this if redundant or previously discussed (I couldn't find anything about it), but I noticed Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" was the only Mofi release to have this language as it's source:
    1/2" / 30 IPS analog master - Plangent Processed - to DXD

Can someone please explain what this means?

Edit: Ok, I know this is a digital format. How would this compare to DSD?

6. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

This is going to be a great scene in the movie, when Mike E. is played by Laurence Fishburne.

[​IMG]

7. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

No this is a (very transparent) digital way of removing wow and flutter from recordings

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think he knows more about what he is talking about than you do.

JCRW and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. DocWatsonSees

DocWatsonSees Forum Resident

Thanks. This is the only release on their entire site that mentions Plangent Processed. Do you think they used this because there were issues with the initial transfer?

10. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Natural = True to the master tape’s sound

What’s so difficult to understand?

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, while you are bravely speaking out about those who "trash digital", be aware that there are legions who "trash vinyl." You literally cannot start a thread about vinyl without being engaged by many of them.

Start a thread about STREAMING, and you'll get engaged by many of the very same people. The little silver disc absolves all.

NorthNY Mark and MonkeyTennis like this.
  12. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

As long as you keep supporting them by buying every single SACD they release, they'll be fine.

13. Strat-Mangler

Personally, I didn't find MFSL came off that badly in the article. Sure, there's the "regret" and the car rental anecdote with a couple of quotes but it paints a picture of MFSL being merely incompetent rather than outright liars and purposely deceitful... which they were (and arguably still are).

I feel it should've been pointed out that in spite of what they've been quoted as saying in their WP interview that the Mike Esposito interview had them admitting the first use of DSD went back to 2008 with Abraxas... which would show another lie.

No mention of MFSL updating their website which would've been a point in their favor but perhaps the article was submitted for publication prior to that event occurring.

IMHO, it should also have mentioned the infamous "as pure as white snow" quote that MFSL stated in an interview specifically related to the Abraxas One-Step which would have been a nice touch.

It's always tricky to write articles like this, no doubt. The writer has a delicate balance where he needs to convey info to the layman in a way that isn't boring or a labor to read through and needs to pick a direction. Though I disagree with providing the last paragraph with the "digital VS AAA" misdirection, the author did do a good job overall.

14. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

revenue applies to expenditure as well you know

15. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

You did, initially. Just responding in kind. But, let's just move on.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Randy

Sort of like a communion wafer.

sunspot42 and kundryishot like this.
  17. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

As far as I recall they made the transfer with a faulty machine, but surely other will know that more exactly

DocWatsonSees likes this.
  18. Fizzle

Fizzle Forum Resident

Absolutely brilliant.

Booyaa73 likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

I did no such thing. I merely listed the terms you used and stated you're biased, same as the so-called "analog sycophants". Your response informed me you'd rather throw an insult when challenged than to own up to your own words. Duly noted.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  20. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

21. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

[​IMG]

22. Randy

I presume we now can move on.

23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Classic!

mpayan, Dmann201, RobCos02330 and 4 others like this.
  24. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

“Mistakes happen that can be corrected. In this case you have chosen to elevate [an inexperienced non-journalist] to work your way out of a predicament instead of a seasoned journalist and I’m not referring necessarily to me. I could name a half dozen others.”

What!? I’m sorry but Fremer sounds like an AAA-hole here.

25. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

This is exactly why I think this was a calculated business decision not a conspiracy or “stupidity”. One title that they knew would sell out prior to MoFi gate would generate almost 50% of their yearly revenue (please don’t get caught up in the definition again). So they took the risk in doing the 40K pressings and now are seeing what the reward actually is.

DaveyF, 4-2-7 and bruinuclafan like this.