Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I have never had a twitter account and never will.

2. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

It has always been 100$ from the start. It's a single LP.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

I may have slipped a bit here and there Bill, but I have practiced professional reticence most of the time :)

Joe Stark and Bill Hart like this.
  4. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

We're all published on the Hoffman Forums, looks like we're all journalists.

Twinsfan007, mpayan, marcb and 2 others like this.
  5. Otto Konrad

Fremer acknowledged the good Mike E did. Repeatedly. He just bemoaned a lost opportunity for more pressing questions. But I don’t think MOFI would have signed up for that. They thought they were bringing a self-interested patsy. Mike E wasn’t that, and the MOFI guys didn’t realize one of the legs was coming loose on their foot stool.

6. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Mike also sells a ton of Mofi to his customers. He's made posts of 100 greatest analog records. If you sell customers a product and tell them it's all analog, you tend to bear a responsibility for continuing the myth. Mike wasn't guilty of anything, don't take my previous sentence as such. Mike a seller of Mofi products, just has more dogs in the race.

Doug_D, DaleClark, Buda and 2 others like this.
  7. Joe Stark

I just want to say many of you are hilarious and I couldn't make it through a day of "work" without you. Cheers all.

Twinsfan007, mpayan, audiotom and 6 others like this.
  8. Melele

Melele Groover

I don’t disagree but maybe more optimistic about the lasting effects of the controversy. Any mockery and derision will fade out as a tempest in a (cracked?) teapot, but the continued expense and scarcity of audiophile releases, analog or digital, MoFi or others, may temper the vinyl resurgence for the niche customers who want only those kinds of records. It’s possible that the MoFi revelation will change for the better how vinyl consumers view non-audiophile labels with their $30, readily-available, digitally-sourced reissues. Vinyl is fun! Vinyl is cheap and sounds good! Vinyl is everywhere! That’s the future I’m hoping for, anyway.

9. Otto Konrad

Not equivalent, but heh if you say so, sure.

Joe Stark likes this.
  10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

if audiophiles were going to go under from gullible stupidity, it would’ve happened a long time ago.

jonj, Smith, ausgraeme and 5 others like this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The only big thing I am worried .. about -we have a small industry .. if something happened to MoFI /MD (even though this situation is whack - I do not wish to see the company go ) we would as a whole be hurt (audiophile community ) this is my opinion only. The more quality LP releases we have the better. I am not advocating that to just produce loads of Drek just for the sake of producing anything ,No. But good fun releases. MoFi can do them or anyone else. Hopefully there is not some weird spillover effect to the general public. Maybe I am overthinking it.

Hopefully It does not ! hurt the vinyl resurgence etc.
    I hope going forward they clean up their act (I have hope they will ) and we go back to enjoying some good releases :) instead of 800 page threads. Lol. Just kidding. Just my opinion only.
    Anyways.

:)

Curiosity, kt66brooklyn and Static like this.
  12. Experiencereunited

Whats with the Fremer obsession on this thread?

13. Joe Stark

How dare you question my journalistic bona fides! They don't call me "Golden Ears" around the firm for nothing. Good Ol' Golden Ears McGee. :laugh:

Otto Konrad likes this.
  14. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

Not trying to be a smart ass at all. Just saying that a certain segment of our community has historically claimed they could hear digital artifacts when it appears that they can't.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I hated that they stated that

Mike is 38 years old
    Sold his prior business and is buying 20,000 record collections left and right while maintaining a fantastic record store, some of the best youtube videos with detailed sound quality shoot outs, and an impressive and multi six figure stereo system.

Why portray Mike who knows what he is talking about as some inexperienced store owner who used to sell autographed MLB baseballs

16. Otto Konrad

Apologies your honor!

Joe Stark likes this.
  17. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Buddy, I have listened to the entire Michael 45/Michael Fremer YouTube video - the one where he rants about Mike Esposito's interviewing skill. Fremer does not call Mike Esposito a lair or say that Mike Esposito lied.

Which video is it where Michael Fremer calls Mike Esposito a liar? Post a link here if you don't mind.

kundryishot and Static like this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

David-Goliath or the unlikely person who rocked an industry- it sells, it adds drama. I don't know if Mike is offended by any of this, and he doesn't have to answer that. Just my take-away. I'm an avid reader of tabloids-- love 'em. Every story - easy to identify the good guy and the bad guy.

19. Fizzle

Fizzle Forum Resident

That seems kinda sexist…

MielR and Starquest like this.
  20. Experiencereunited

Correction my Eat A Peach is 33 RPM not 45 RPM. the rest are 45 RPM

21. Otto Konrad

I think it gets at the vinyl bubble moment that all this has transpired within. Mike E and his Whatnot auctions where dodos are bidding up reissues. Someone posted that Mike banned him from his Whatnot auction for putting a link to a Discogs price on an auction that had well exceeded the Discogs high price. That’s not very “Man for the people.” Mike E is maximizing and capitalizing on the hype of the moment too. On another one of his videos he was bragging to his spouse that he was going to frame his sharpied ERC. There is something just a bit carney about the times. Video you tubing is contributing.

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Oh man...a 45 rpm Peach ? :drool:

23. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

more than 1 video and in writing.

He says what Mike E said is not true.

He slammed Esposito for irresponsibly spreading rumors and said his own unnamed source told him the record store owner was wrong. “Will speculative click bait YouTube videos claiming otherwise be taken down after reading this?” he tweeted.

He said Mike E was wrong, ie, not telling the truth.

But Mike E was right and Fremer wrong.
    Who owes who an apology?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2022
  24. Joe Stark

Three journalists walk into an audio convention...

rofffe, mpayan and Otto Konrad like this.
  25. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

It is extremely sexist and just perpetuates the boys club of all-things vinyl and stereo.

dheath and MielR like this.