Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I think you'd be very surprised, there are still gazillions of people buying Crosleys who are easily influenced.

sunspot42 and Chemguy like this.
  2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Tell you all something. It was in the early 2000's I got a cellphone cos the world was changing, I was involved with business and political types dealing in regeneration and I needed to be in touch on the go. In 2022 I find it hard going to believe head of an organization like M.D. was not able and lacked authority to say "Hold it until I arrive" to his V.P.

Pelts, OldSoul, JFSebastion and 5 others like this.
  3. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

What is the point of making that assumption? We/you don't know that at all. They answered the questions he asked didn't they?

JFSebastion likes this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Or both. MFSL obviously know how to master, be it analog or DSD. I don't really buy their brand, but I've noticed digitally sourced records in recent years have improved - so it's all for the better IMO.

mpayan likes this.
  5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Quincy Jones compression? I am not 100% sure what that even means. Are they talking about compression that Bernie Grundman used in the original mastering/pressing of 'Thriller' that was requested by Quincy Jones to be added? Or are they talking about two different master tapes, one sweetened with compression and the other without?

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's a blanket statement opinion from someone with likely no actual insight or experience into this world (if you want to call it that).

How does this make Esposito, Gray, Grundman look bad? How does it make the thousands of people who spent their money in good faith and are the victims of bait & switch look stupid?

Its a simplistic judgment cast on everyone that anyone can make about any situation. No offense.

indyalden and JFSebastion like this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You have a better handle on that than me at this point- I have a pretty good memory of the Interview with the Three Engineers, but wouldn't want to recite the 45 rpm Mike videos with Fremer from memory. Thanks for that.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  8. I-OD

I-OD Forum Resident

I see that this thread is starting to loose it’s edge and it has now turned it into a tabloid discussion with personal attacks. Would be nice if we could refocus on the real reason we are invested in this topic.

jonj, adhoc and audiotom like this.
  9. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

Nobody got banned. I said "if you want to berate people for how they spend their money and try to make them feel bad I would ban you". Some people are willing to pay more knowing that what they are geting is being shipped and described properly. I bought a Sonny Clark record a few months back for $2,000 more than the most it's ever sold for on popsike. Why? Because I wanted it and it was worth it to me. I wouldn't appreciate someone telling me I was a fool for doing it.

10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Has anyone put together a google doc or something with the releases and the mastering info?

sunspot42 and George Blair like this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Welcome back, short-lived hiatus. The world just keeps spinning faster (for real- I think).

JFSebastion and Stone Turntable like this.
  12. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Yes, I was thinking this should be in Off Topic.

13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Since when is being "wrong" equivalent to "not telling the truth"?

Kyhl and weirdo12 like this.
  14. :laugh::targettiphat:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Not yet. One member, @Sex Lies And Master Tapes has nobly taken on the task of compiling a list and posted it in real time in numerous posts in this thread; there may be others doing this as well. I don't know if MoFi has completed its identification of the current and forthcoming releases, let alone gotten to the legacy material, so not sure there is any single post or document you can refer to (yet).

DaleClark likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Assumption? I dont know about that buddy.

Mofi's speak in write has been nothing but waffling.

Of course they answered the questions he asked. Thats the point. He wasnt going to ask questions he knew they were most likely not going to answer.

Do I KNOW this for a fact that they wouldnt have?

No, but we dont know that they would have answered either.

And Id argue there is just as much and possibly more to suggest that they wouldnt have answered those type questions by most if not all of what the responses from them have been in written form.

17. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Esposito’s approach to it in the first place looks bizarre, regardless if it were records or high end purses.
    A guy saying he bought 50 of them, only to realize they suck and is now mad.
    A bungled MoFi laurel and Hardy act.
    Making Esposito out to be a used car salesman type high school dropout.
    Fremer losing his mind
    All around to the average person reading an entertainment story in the Washington Post, the cast of characters look crazy.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

She is willing to learn. Thats more than I can say for many.

19. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Since he said he had facts and that he should retract it. 'Clickbait'
    Inferring he posted false information for financial gain.
    In addition to calling him a liar he assailed his character.

Paully likes this.
  20. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I've not seen more than a minute or two of that one....looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I read it more that he is a self made person and has become quite successful. Again that is how I read it at first. The background is quite typical in stories like this. Remember, this article is for the general public, not just for technical audiophiles. The background gives readers a connection: the “ small record store owner taking on a big operation”. Then you get a brief history of MoFi as well.

highfell, JFSebastion, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  22. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Well - I do disagree on throwing the word "sycophants" somewhat gratuitously - it turns the whole thing into an insult. Analog is a preference and/or a taste. Do people demean digital technology out of enthusiasm for Analog sure? But is also true the other way around, as shown by the word "sycophants". Digital peeps call Analog fans everything from deaf to stupid, which as bad of the stuff going the other way around. There are gradations - sure there are many Analog or Digital only peeps - which is alright, btw. There is also people that understand is a taste and either don't care or just pick what works.

I like vinyl, understand it is a preference, understand that vinyl colours the sound no matter what - because it bears repeating; was hoping digital only peeps would understand it, but is seems it either dismissed or I am not believed. There goes my hope of settling an argument on the internet ! :D

Knowing this and the pros and cons of both technologies, I choose to mostly do vinyl for pop/rock and jazz and mostly digital for classical. But that doesn't keep me from getting plenty of pop/rock and jazz CDs and SACDs and plenty of classical vinyl.

Simple personal preference, not sycophancy.

v

23. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Oh, I wasn't aware it has already been explained lol. It certainly deserves a refresher from time to time, we need to learn from our mistakes.

24. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

He said he loved them, went back and re-listened and confirmed they were great.

He was not angry but confused and disappointed.

No need to demean him for his education and level of success.
    Mike E has shown more character than some of 'us'.

25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

You explained it well.

JFSebastion likes this.