Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

I don't feel this is 100% true. Nothing can be stated as absolute fact in this hobby

I have 5 examples (20% of my Mo-Fi collection) where I didn't like the sound result but paid a premium price because I was mis-led to believe that what I was hearing was somehow on the master tapes, as that has been Mobile Fidelity's overriding mantra. "Original Master Recording", "The Gain 2 Ultra Analog System"

Don't get me wrong I have some great sounding Mo-Fi releases. However in terms of always producing a great sound 100% of the time I've had far more consistent, excellent results with Music Matters and Analog Productions Almost 100% of MMJ and over 90% of Analog Productions are outstanding. I can't say the same for Mo-Fi and I always wondered why.

indyalden, VQRex, Classicrock and 5 others like this.
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That would be one fun court case to see.

3. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

What's still a question in my mind is what the artists think and what do the big labels holding the masters think?

They have PR staff and this is certainly on their radar now... Just my thoughts on how this continues to evolve. Will they react?

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

For every minute of real drama, there are hours of tedium. And the prep- you can put a hundred plus hours prepping what amounts to one hour of say, cross-examination. Trials are brutal. After a full day in court, you are back in the office prepping for the next day, dealing with negatives that came up during the day, etc. By the time you are done, you are so tired you can't sleep. And you can't "come down." Even if you win. I'm so glad I'm retired. More power to those who are doing it though. Watching a good trial lawyer is like watching a great actor. Because that's part of it too.

VQRex, scousette, Randy W and 5 others like this.
  5. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

More of the ends justify the means rhetoric it seems.

6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I had no idea that anybody (including Sony) could edit in DSD. Great news.

Yeah, I love DSD. Almost all the goodness of analog without pops and clicks. I know vinyl people will hate me for saying that.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

“Unauthorized” lol
    Did someone hack their network and pretend to be MFSL employees and send the messages?

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I don't hate anyone for enjoying what they enjoy however they enjoy it. However, I do not experience these clicks and pops you describe as all my records are in true NM condition.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Your not reading my post correctly, reread the bold writing.
    I did not compare and say they are the best records out of all manufacturers.
    I said they are making better records today than they did in the past, this is about their records only

NettleBed and MikeJedi like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The whole "unauthorized" bit is a huge steaming pile of bull and makes MO-Lie look even worse than they already do. This company is utterly clueless.

11. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

That is exactly my predilection anyway! And that's exactly what I do, except I use discogs as there are no decent record stores near me.. Sure there's a certain element of nostalgia involved, but it brings me joy.

MikeJedi and Bug80 like this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

No, there is no easy answer to any of that except that they got themselves into it and they should bare the consequences whatever they might be. I agree with you, other than the technical staff and high level management I doubt anybody else in the company knew about it. The less people that know of any wrongdoing the less chances of a whistleblower pulling the lid. The "unauthorized" thing is bit of a joke really, any company found doing something wrong can try to get of the hook by blaming their lower level employees saying they did something unauthorized. What proof is there? I am yet to check my own e-mails because it is possible many years ago I might have asked the same question but I am not sure now. It does not matter, the handling of this situation means that now unless I want something pretty badly I will actively avoid buying their products. When my last pack of MOFI sleeves is finished I will start getting another brand.

VQRex likes this.
  13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

No, not when your lying to do so.
    I'm an audiophile and like getting records that sound the best I can or a different take on the sound. I don't want a cultish belief system and bias that only AAA records are the best sounding to dictate the evolution of sound quality. That would stop any progress to improving record playback and the manufacturing of records. I would say MFSL lied in order to sell more records to this cultish belief and gave them a lot of weight they did not need to do.

14. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

I wish there was more "proper digital" though. A lot of Hi-Res downloads still seem to be (unnecessary, at least to me) remasters.

Leroyd likes this.
  15. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

You can debate the sound engineers with decades of experience who state analog sounds the best. Don't debate me because I take their advice seriously.

VQRex and BuyMeVinyl like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Id say that after 23 yrs of making claims on videos, sending emails to customers, never having a face out in front etc etc..Im not sure how any other conclusion could be drawn.

17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I say most could care less. Streaming and publishing brings in the cash. A usage fee for a few thousand albums probably doesn’t make a dent.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

In all fairness, I don't see that happen a lot in this thread.

Also this doesn't seem to be the general mood here. Most people seem to admit having no problem with their process if they'd at least been honest about it.

19. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

FYI a few records updated are showing on the Music Direct website and not on MoFi's.
    And vice versa.
    Very handy... :rolleyes:

patient_ot likes this.
  20. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I think you may be correct but that assumes some broad strokes.

21. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

By your logic, labels should just provide us all with DSD256 files and forgo the wholly unnecessary steps of cutting to vinyl entirely.

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It's time for Jim Davis to step down.

At the end of the day... the buck stops there.

DaveyF likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don’t be silly, he owns the company.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

As a collector, I have been following the sales on Discogs. Looking at sales from August 1 to August 6, there have only been 20 sales of One Steps, as follows. The first three titles (Abraxas, Village Vanguard and Nightfly) seem relatively strong. There seems to be little interest in the other titles. Sellers may have to lower their prices.

Bill Evans - Village Vanguard (1) Sealed $599
    Fagen - The Nightfly (2) Sealed $525, VG+ $400
    Simon & Garfunkel - BOTW (2) Sealed $265, VG+ $165
    Texas Flood (1) Sealed $215
    Blood on the Tracks (2) VG+$150, VG+ $150
    Couldn't Stand the Weather (2) Sealed $156, NM $140
    What's Going On (1) VG+ $140
    Fragile (1) Sealed $249
    Eagles - S/T (2) Sealed $180, Sealed $169
    Still Crazy After All These Years (2) Sealed $118, Sealed $148
    Pearl (1) Sealed $157.54
    Folk Singer (1) Sealed $93
    Clapton Unplugged (2) Sealed $130, Sealed $150.

There were no sales for Santana Abraxas, Portrait in Jazz, Mingus Ah Um, Monk's Dream, Desperado and Tapestry.

MarkO, Kyhl, Pseudoty and 1 other person like this.
  25. Nobody is joking about any of that. It just seemed an odd background to this particular story imho. If the article went deeper and longer then maybe it would have fit better. It seemed odd placing that info right after the Fremer quotes.

Bad edit job imho.

thrivingonariff likes this.