Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How have I even suggested this? Of course he knew.

2. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I also like old cars too regardless if someone says they are making them with more bells and whistles.
    So I may very well be behind the times.

3. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Two wrongs don't make a right, I'd say ;)

4. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

I have a family friend who has the mono mofi of "free wheelin bob dylan" and I told him told at the time something sounded off compared to the mono box version I have and he looked at me crazy, didn't expect it to be a digital step involved in the mofi pressing but it makes more sense now in hindsight.

VQR and BuyMeVinyl like this.
  5. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

you cannot edit DSD without irremediable degradation.

McLover likes this.
  6. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

So it could be possible with this video to demonstrate a company culture of deception and mis-information. You might be able to build a case that consumers were deceived into paying more than they should have for the product

VQR, BuyMeVinyl, JFSebastion and 2 others like this.
  7. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

My feeling is that at least 90% of the people here agree with this. I know I do.

Imagine that a company with the legacy and status of MoFi brings the message: "we've seen the future, and it's digital. And here's why...". Following with a story about why this is the way forward in terms of master tape archiving, getting the most out of the masters... heck, throw some science in as well. That would be a powerful message. But they didn't take the risk, unfortunately.

8. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I consider myself a vinyl guy but i also listen to CDs, SACDs, Blu-ray As and i stream in hi-res on Qobuz because i'm not a fetichist, i want to stay open to new audio formats and i'm curious.
    However, my turntable never refused to play a record. My CD player did. :D

HairyWeimer, I-OD, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  9. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

Reality. A record doesn't have to be AAA to be great. I would prefer an AAA record, but MoFi has shown us that digital can sound just as good.
    People have to come to terms with reality. Technology has improved. Look at how much better a digital photo is now compared with how they were 20 years ago.

"If it sounds good it is good" - Ed Van Halen

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This all sounds familiar...

I can recall on this very board that if one even hinted that a copytape of any kind was used instead of the master it was taboo.

The few people that were not opposed to using an analogue copytape argued "A copytape sourced lp can sound better than a direct mastertape cut. It comes down to good or crappy mastering. And also maybe the copytape is in better shape than the master" That was not acceptable to many many folks here. It just wasnt. It had to be AAA from the mastertape, cut to vinyl.

Reading over this thread it seems to me now that the folks opposed to copy tapes has flipflopped. (Not talking dsd transfers)

That is, its ok if a copytape is used. We understand and it can be just as good. Ive seen this mindset more and more all over the net. Different forums, youtube etc. Not just here.

Yet we are seeing that same pattern now of opposing forces.

Im not suggesting that everyone has to join the 4xdsd analogue chain to vinyl team.

I am suggesting that over time our understanding and acceptance changes.

Id lay money that the acceptance will change on the 4xdsd to analogue chain to vinyl also.

And again, what was the real defense on the former "copytapes are fine"?

Mastering.

That is, a aaa mastertape cut directly to vinyl can be mastered crappy and the copytape can be mastered wonderfully. Same can be said with the 4xdsd/analogue chain to vinyl.

11. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Now I'm having visions of future turntables with built-in AI.

"Sorry sir, I won't play this version of Abraxas. I'm detecting a digital step. Please take it off."

Scott222C, VQR, HairyWeimer and 5 others like this.
  12. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Keb Mo
    1/2" / 15 IPS / Dolby SR to DSD 64

Not updated but nice wording:

Foghat
    Mastered from the Original Tapes for Explosive Sound

13. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

Who said what?

CBackley likes this.
  14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Where is that unauthorized banner??? I need to put it in front of that guy's mouth! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

[​IMG]

15. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well Exile is not a great recording to start with, something tells me if MFSL put that title out you would be right there to buy it though.:D
    That said we don't know what that would sound like, and I never put any label as a definitive arbiture of a copy of a record, I think you know that about me and my shootouts with MFSL records of late. They are not winning in my book, but for many others as I'm clearly the odd man out they are in a lot of cases the best version.

I was not basing my opinions of SQ of MFSL records on that I was detecting digital in the mastering, but it was the mastering choices that I did not like. Was it really the digital mastering I was detecting? I couldn't honestly say so but it could have been. However none of this says they are not advancing record mastering to levels not seen before be it one likes it or not.

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

I'm not sure I see conviction there, going by body language again it seems like he knows he's lying and hoping he's never caught.

Adagio likes this.
  17. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Isn't it evident now 30th Street Studio sound can't be properly replicated with a digital step?

18. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

One is absolutely wrong, the other not sharing the same level of absolution I'd say. Give me the downloads.

Bug80 likes this.
  19. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I’m not seeing a lot of evidence of the cult of AAA on this thread.

What I am seeing is a principled objection to unethical marketing and what likely amounts to consumer fraud - and I know, from your posts, that you too share those ethical concerns.

Beneath that, personally speaking, this causes me to reassess the value proposition offered by a MoFi record and, in particular, a OneStep. MoFi largely sold these products as analogue - which we know requires skill, access, and resource to master and cut well. And MoFi sold these as limited which, yes, is dictated by licensing, but also speaks to the finite nature of analogue media.

We now discover the use of digital which we know, even if viewed in the most generous of terms (pretending for a moment that MoFi were solely driven by quality with no further consideration), is cheaper and more convenient.

This matters to me because it helps me visualise the cost of MoFi’s deception. I am able to look at other reputable digitally-source pressings and see the wide differentiation in cost. Even accepting that MoFi produce better mastered records than, say, MoV, I struggle to accept that the cost of delivering that improved SQ equates to a $30, $40, or, in the case of a OneStep, a $90 premium.

And this isn’t a case of ‘getting what you pay for.’ This is about MoFi deceiving consumers into believing that they were utilising costly process with unavoidable constraints in order to justify a premium price.

I would never have paid $125 for a digitally sourced OneStep. Not because I’m an AAA fetishist, but because, I understand that, at that price point, they are being blatant cheeky bastards. Which, I believe, is why they hid the digital step.

I don’t subscribe to the cult of AAA, but I am an aspiring member to the school of ‘don’t be an utter mug’.

20. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Fair enough :)

Leroyd likes this.
  21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I know this sounds far-fetched and I got some pushback bringing this up in another thread/forum. Once all the master tapes are under lock and key (we are almost there) and NOBODY is allowed access I could see audiophile labels doing a "needledrop series" (with permission similar to what audiophile labels get with each release now). Basically, taking a pristine, high value original pressing, transfer to tape, and make new versions from that master. If somehow Analogue Productions got permission from Page/Atlantic to do a needle drop of a pristine copy of the loud Ludwig vinyl copy of Zeppelin II, you do not think it would sell? Especially Chad using his salesman ship skills to convince you how good it sounds? The thing would sell out immediately if promoted as a numbered limited edition. Now, finding those Pristine copies to borrow/rent or buy from collectors is a challenge in of its own.

Yes, now many say that is crazy.............a few years from now when new "analog" material thins out?....we'll see

Uglyversal likes this.
  22. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Use this link to search google and several articles come up about this. The top result is the WaPo article from yesterday. I could read the article without being blocked.
    mofi-records-analog-digital-scandal/

23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

So that old stuff is more irreplaceable every day...

24. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

It’s also available to subscribers of Apple News (through the app).

ex_mixer likes this.
  25. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Maybe. Perhaps I was surprised at just how direct and explicit his words were.

kundryishot and Joe Stark like this.