Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Michael Ludwig mentioned that eleven law firms contacted him regarding the whole MoFi affair. Pretty interesting but it's quite possible that this may or may not go anywhere beyond the preliminary stage.

2. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I understand how you feel but this was done to humanize the subject and not just have him as "generic record store owner"

I'm sure the writer would have talked to Mike and asked if it was okay to publish those details.

3. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

S0... i eventually retained @Pseudoty's idea and created a Google sheet doc. :sweating:

You will find on it ALL the Mofi's records actually showing on both Mofi's website (158 IRCC) AND also a dozen, for a reason i can't explain, only showing Music Direct's. :shrug:

In all, 170 albums, updated ones and those that Mofi still needs to update. You can upload the file and do whatever you want to do with it, it's a free-access file of course. :cool:

Here is the link :

MOFI MASTERING LIST

jriems, Doug_D, bluesfan and 42 others like this.
  4. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Generally 45 RPM will give you higher volume and frequency response but can have higher tendency for distortion or skipping the closer you get to the centre. If you have a fine line stylus (like 0.2 mil), 45 RPM records might also cause higher distortion when the groove is cut widely. So there's a lot of factors basically, how much space is actually used from the 12", how wide the groove is cut, the frequency spectrum of the audio itself, how the audio is mastered etc...

5. DocWatsonSees

DocWatsonSees Forum Resident

Wow, you're the champ! Thank YOU!!

6. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION

I've seen a solid handful in YouTube comments, give it some time before it spreads.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Thank you !
    Does it work ?
    Can you download it ?

8. DocWatsonSees

DocWatsonSees Forum Resident

Yes, it works! Smart it's in view only as well. I'm still able to download the list in View Only. Fantastic!

If you want help keeping this updated, just let me know. I can help by scanning unsourced albums on a daily basis and add info as I see it. Just let me know.

Thanks again!

9. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Great !
    Of course ! you can do that ! :agree: any help is welcome ! :righton:

10. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks for that list!

So, according to the document, my buddy's entire Miles collection appears to be DSD-sourced....yikes...he's not a member here. Do I tell him?

11. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

There have historically been a lot of
    ‘MFSL= Instantly SOLD OUT’ situations. Take what you want from that phenomenon.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Nah, let him live happily.

13. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

All other things (program material, level etc) being equal, crowded grooves are more difficult to track, not vice versa. There's less chance for tracking distortion at higher linear speeds.

jeff kleinberg and FashionBoy like this.
  14. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Thanks @Sex Lies And Master Tapes! There are additional titles under Ultradisc One-Step , for instance, the Santana "Abraxas".

15. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

You are a gentleman, Sir.

16. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

This is the point to MOFU there new name as far as I am concerned.

17. Melele

Melele Groover

@kundryishot is talking about 45 RPM vinyl having a tendency for greater inner groove distortion under certain circumstances. That is what I was asking about.

18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You know, after this I have gained a new-found respect for Michael Ludwigs. I previously viewed him as a bit of a Johnny-come-lately, mainly reviewing new reissues without a basis for comparison to originals or older reissues. A lot of what he had to say wasn’t exactly news to those of us regularly participating on this forum.

However, I think Mr. Ludwigs has acquitted himself quite well in this whole MoFi affair. He’s brought on a lot of the players for interviews and he has been relatively objective, while expressing his sincere disappointment as a consumer I think a lot of us feel as customers of MoFi over the years.

Nonetheless, today he was also very transparent about feeling conflicted with respect to future reviews of MoFi products. Could he give an unbiased review now, feeling as he does, that he was lied to as a consumer and former MoFi “fan?” I liked that he admitted that, while also revealing how excited he felt in the past when MoFi would announce a title that was a favorite. I can sympathize, and I feel much the same way.

I do hope MoFi can learn from this and come back stronger, possibly using it to push the labels to allow them use of the actual tapes. I think the market is worse without them, in spite of it all. All these boutique audiophile labels have hits and misses, which has nothing to do with DSD vs analog, but it’s clear that at least some large enough segment of the market now has a preference for analog.

Regardless, thanks to Mr. Edgers the entire industry ought to now recognize that this vinyl “resurgence” has as much to do with provenance of the source material, quality of the reproductions of the jackets, labels and the like – and the sound – as it does with the fact that something is marketed as a “Walmart Exclusive” on gold and blue swirled vinyl.

19. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

45RPM is associated with lower IGD compared to 33-1/3.

20. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

He's not necessarily vehemently against digital. He will stream music, but, he just won't purchase. Pretty sure I'm gonna leave him be, unless he finds the WP article for himself LOL

Thanks

Jam757 likes this.
  21. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

And i forgot Fagen too (not appearing in the Artist name list...).:rolleyes:
    Thank you !

22. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Thank you Randy !

23. 2much Vinyl

2much Vinyl Forum Resident

I liked them so that is all that matters to me. And I have many others to compare them to.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

If MoFi were smart (they’re not) they’d post this to the front of their webpage and keep it updated.

25. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Of course he didn't, but there's still plenty to talk about...

Is there enough transparency about Abbey Road's half-speed process? Are they very upfront about the hi-res digital step?

IMHO, Miles' interviews are not enough, sorry. And there's a strongly supported opinion that his "digital 1/2 speed" process is not at all advantageous sonically to skilled all-analog cutting from tape at normal speed.

FashionBoy likes this.