Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Vinyl: Worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by benm1976, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benm1976

benm1976 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello. I am new to the forum and I've searched for an answer to my question, but haven't been able to find it. I have a system that is put together from friends' leftovers and thrift shop finds. My most expensive investment is my turntable...an MCS 6700 that I got for $125, which I really like. I think my system sounds great, but then again, I guess ignorance is bliss.

Now to my point...are the MFSL vinyl records only for people with top-notch systems? I really like Linda Ronstadt, and a few of her albums are available from MFSL at $30 a pop. I'm wondering if I should invest in these copies, or just be satisfied with my old ones. Any information would be appreciated.

dreamingtree1855 and RockyRoll like this.
  2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I used to shell out big bucks for the half speed masters. I personally prefer CDs to vinyl, and I think CDs accomplished enough of what MFSL and Nautilus were intended to do that I abandoned them.
    But if you are into vinyl, half speed special releases are indeed the way to go.
    That they cut them at half speed on virgin vinyl really did make a huge difference in detail.
    If they are re-releasing half speed masters that are identical to what they released in the late 70s and early 80s, you can't go wrong with them.
    As an example, I had a CBS half speed master of the Journey album that has "Any Way You Want It" and the snare drum on it was astounding, it was as if you were standing right next to the snare. The extra detail made it so that you could hear the springs on the snare and it was almost as if you could hear the head of the snare resonating after the hit. That is missing on the original release.

"Top notch" can mean a lot of things. To many it simply means "I spent a ton of money".
    The important thing is a stylus and cartridge that can reproduce what the album holds.
    I had a lower audiophile range cartridge in the seventies that was an AT13ea. It wasn't a gazillion dollar cartridge but to this day it is the one I measure all others to.
    Right now I have a Pickering that has the D4000 stylus, which was back then far more expensive than the AT13ea, but i still think the Audio Technica sounded better.
    So, I would say as long as you have reasonably decent gear, you would notice a huge difference between the original album releases and old copies of half speed masters.
    I would have to assume that , given the price they sell them for, modern day vinyl special pressings would likely have the same improvements over the originals.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Totally disagree with most of what was stated above.

4. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I had dozens of MFSL/MoFi vinyl which were all sold over time.

IMO... overpriced.

5. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

You don't need a top-notch system to hear the difference between a badly-mastered record and one that's been done well.. Mofi has been on a roll of late and if there's a record they've done that you really love you should pick it up and hear for yourself. I know that my inexpensive vintage setup on the porch (lousy acoustics there) is capable of showing the difference between pressings so I think you're likely to hear it as well.

Try one or two out. If you think they're not worth it you can always sell the records at minimum loss.

MattF_19, krisjay, Heckto35 and 22 others like this.
  6. benm1976

benm1976 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I appreciate the input so far. Thank you.

ViNyLBLADERUNNER likes this.
  7. botley

botley Forum Resident

I picked up the recent MFSL pressing of The Band's Music from Big Pink. Even on my incredibly modest system it just sings. Worth every penny.

8. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

Yes they're worth the extra cost if you care about sound quality.

9. I haven't regretted buying any of mine (The Band, Dylan, Pixies, Faith No More, Beck).

10. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I suggest that you buy the MFSL versions of albums selectively. I like the ones that I have but I focus more on hard to get LPs (rare, expensive or hard to find in high grade condition). Do you need to buy stuff like Foreigner albums or other albums that are commonly found in used record places? For me, the answer is no, I'll just get a used, or if I'm really lucky, a sealed copy. On the other hand some of the Miles Davis titles from the 50s are worth buying from MFSL.

Scott

Dave S, dbsea, audiotom and 6 others like this.
  11. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Not an expert here, but from what I have read over the years, it may be worth pointing out that there tend to be rather considerable differences between their mastering approach in the 80s versus that of today. I've only heard some of the more recent reissues (Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth, McCoy Tyner's Sahara, and Miles Davis's Sorcerer and Bitches Brew), and they are some of the finest sounding records in my collection. On the other hand, their older vinyl pressings are controversial for using what some here refer to as a "smiley-faced" EQ--that is, greater emphasis on bass and treble at the cost of a hollowed out midrange. Depending on your gear and your sonic preferences, their work may be worth the extra money, or it may not be to your taste at all. You probably won't be able to know before trying some out (perhaps an example from the early and later work, since they are apparently so different)

12. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Like any album that's been released many times through the years including any sort of "audiophile" version, you need to do your homework on specific titles if you're looking to spend any sort of relatively significant money to acquire the titles you want. Some MFSL vinyl records are considered definitive, many are not even though such titles may fetch big bucks on the market.

13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

There's a wealth of comment and reviews of MoFi's releases on this forum and elsewhere. If there are particular albums that interest you read up on them and decide if the $$ are worth it to you. What you will always get from their releases are high quality, quiet pressings, count on that. However they have their preferences on mastering and in that very important aspect their releases are not necessarily the best for everyone.

You mentioned Linda Rondstadt in your post. That's a case where it is possible to find pristine original pressings for low prices. "Simple Dreams" for instance is a very well produced record you could buy mint for under $10, is it worth $30 for a MoFi?, perhaps but read up first!

I just sold off a couple of their Elvis Costello reissues which I'd bought hoping for something special beyond the original UK and US pressings I've owned for decades. In those cases I was disapointed. The records certainly sounded "nice", but paled compared to the originals in all cases. I also purchased and quickly sold off their SACD of Billy Joel's The Stranger, IMO that one sounded dreadful, and really surprised me.

I say all this as someone who happily owns many of their releases, it's quite a mixed bag. In the end the original is more often better but unobtainable in good condition at an affordable price. That's when it's great to have the choice of these reissues if an original is just not an option.

You can also investigate the CBS Mastersound releases of the 1980s, most of which are very affordable on the used market. Many on the forum hate them, but all I can say is the ones I've collected and kept sound really good and bested the standard issues.

There are other companies like MoFi putting out superb reissues like ORG/ Analog Productions, Audio Fidelity, Speakers Corner, etc. do your resesrch and enjoy the hunt!

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i think they all sound very unique and different to the standard presses....
    i like them.
    try one.

Shak Cohen, benm1976 and David Ellis like this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

To best sum up all of the above - it really is a case by case basis. One could be the best pressing of a particular album, another could be nowhere near a nice original pressing. There is no golden rule I think.

I'd only buy one now if the original pressing was hugely expensive.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

One thing worth mentioning is that pressing quality is generally top notch - flat and quiet.

17. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Most of the new vinyl in my area is around $30 for the 180g 'audiophile' pressings anyway, I would say that yes - MFSL vinyl is worth the cost. You can be sure the pressing quality is excellent.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Their packaging is also quite nice. I especially like their box sets (not the older Beatles/Stones boxes, but the newer 45 rpm titles). For some reason, though, their jackets are prone to seam splits, so purchasing by mail carries some risk.

Johnny Vinyl and benm1976 like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Unfortunately, MFSL can be a hit or miss proposition. For example, I tried a copy of Hasten Down the Wind, my favorite Ronstadt title. It was not good -- really muffled. I tried two copies. My original sounds better.

Vinyl_Blues, RelayerNJ and benm1976 like this.
  20. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Buying a title from MFSL is like upgrading from a Chevy to a Cadillac. When you buy a Mofi title, you are paying for quality: heavy flat record, top notch packaging, top notch mastering from the Master Tape (not the silver series), and their copies are numbered making them collectable.

The Originals can sometimes better the MFSL version, but that is what this forum is for. Always do your research, but most importantly, let your ears tell you what you like best.

Pony up the money and buy a title and hear for yourself.

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Is there a version of The Stranger that you can recommend? The MoFi does sound quite compressed, but I thought that was in the mix.

22. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

I've only been buying high end vinyl for a couple of years, but i find Mofi to be the most consistent quality wise. Usually very "clean" and "crisp" thats the best i can describe it. I've yet to have a bad experience. try one of your favs.

benm1976 likes this.
  23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have the CBS Mastersound vinyl and it sounds great. I did a direct comparison with that and the MoFi and it was a night and day difference. I've seen comments from others that original pressings with the Sterling Sound stamp in the deadwax are also excellent. Digitally I can't offer any tips on a standard CD, but I used to own the original SACD and found it a tad harsh. However in comparison to the MoFi it was far more acceptable.

benm1976 and vonwegen like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Look, forget about the mfsl pressings of the 70s, 80s and 90s for the most part. The best thing you can do in starting down this road of vinyl is to make a list of your favorite albums/artists and start searching the archives here to find out the best pressings. 9 times out of 10 it wont be mofi. And it may be considerably cheaper 85% of the time.

MFSL has changed its philosophy and has different gear now. Some of the work they have done in the past 5-8 years is very good. Such as the Dylan reissues (some of them, that is).

Research, research research the archives. Learn what Wally, RL, MASTERDISK etc means.

Vinyl_Blues, audiotom, Gardo and 5 others like this.
  25. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I'd even say some of the Silver Series vinyl sounds quite good. (Those recent Sisters of Mercy LPs are at least as good as my original pressings, and presented on much better vinyl than the originals.) Of course, the Sisters never were too concerned with fidelity, so YMMV, as they say.

Vinyl_Blues and Gardo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.