Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

No idea. I dropped them an email to cancel the 45 and add the 33 to the order jus tin case. FWIW they have the product number, just a different description.

2. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

MFSL just abandoned it, and there is no reason to think that it's on AP's radar. Who else is left?

Swordsandchains likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

My thought was that AP would have it on their radar eventually.

4. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

I called MD on the 33 Sketches of Spain. The rep I spoke with said that all 45 Sketches of Spain orders will be changed to 33 orders automatically, when the records ship.

5. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Well, since Chad presumably has the Classic 45 plates, he could do it, if he's motivated and he can get a license for it. I just think that he has better options in the near term. Maybe down the road. If the Classic mastering isn't usable, then probably never.

6. Leonthepro

Like Are You Experienced? Id prefer Sketched 10 times more.
    Should be usable, Classic didnt make many.

7. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There'll be a greater charge to the particles!

CBackley likes this.
  9. RaggaMuffin

RaggaMuffin Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has already been mentioned/discussed, but has anyone noticed the crazy price increase of international shipping with MusicDirect? To ship one 180g record to the UK, the shipping prices are either $169.84 for UPS Worldwide Expedited, or $178.86 for UPS Worldwide Express.

My last order of 5 records less than a month ago was $59 for FedEx International Priority, which was the most expensive and quickest option, I think.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary glitch when they were changing their international shipping from FedEx to UPS, so I've sent them an email for clarification.

Munger74 and MonkeyTennis like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Quick question; who is mastering Unplugged?

11. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Let us know, that would be me out if FedEx is no longer an option.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Nah, that’s only for those Electric Recording Company releases.

AnalogJ and Rocco1 like this.
  13. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Krieg seems to be the only one mastering for MFSL any more.

jgrillo and Leonthepro like this.
  14. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Yeah, I’m also getting such rates at the moment. Has to be a glitch….I hope…?

15. Leonthepro

That is beyond insane. I hope they check with me before shipping my phone orders.

Munger74 likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

When AP and MOFI started pressing over 10,000 copies of One Steps and UHQR's the collecting aspect has much less of an impact on accessibility. AP and MOFI back catalogs are steadily being repressed so people are able to get copies that they missed out on the first place.

Collecting is part of the whole picture. Flippers bother me, though. Personally, I open my copies and listen, even if only once.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  17. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The Raspberries has the Gain 2 on the inside gatefold - lower right side.

18. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I’m all for pressing 10,000 of these titles or however many they think will sell. I don’t like having to preorder every release months out to get a copy and I don’t buy records to sell them down the line.

What does bother me is that nearly all of MoFi’s new releases are One Steps now. I’m a little skeptical about the difference the One Step processe actually makes. I have loved the vast majority of these releases, but I think that probably comes down more to mastering. It would be great to see some more normal 33 and 45rpm releases at a lower price and less silly packaging.

19. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

fully agreed. The only one steps i even have on order right now are the 2 Miles Davis. I want the Van Halens but man i just cant justify these prices anymore, so im grabbing the SACDs instead.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  20. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

There was an article I read that suggested the Van Halen releases would get a normal MOFI 2x 45 rpm release eventually. Hopefully that is true but I think if it’s going to happen it will occur after the One Steps have been released. So no time soon but at least I’ll be able to justify grabbing those.

JRose likes this.
  21. RaggaMuffin

RaggaMuffin Well-Known Member

Just got a reply from MD. So they’ve switched to primarily shipping with UPS, and those are technically correct shipping quotes, although they said that I can leave a note in my order and request Fedex International or DHL Worldwide and they’ll calculate the cost to be approved by me. No idea what that’ll actually cost, but hopefully it’s the same as before.

I’m not sure if this what they’re going to be suggesting to all international customers to do, or if this is just a one off. But I’m glad, as I had a tonne of Mofi pre-orders over the next year or two that I was going to have to cancel if we were stuck with those UPS prices.

Leonthepro and NorthernFusion like this.
  22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

yea i saw that article as well, which also plays into that decision. I hope they do happen and then we will get real jackets too

sonofjim likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

A 1x33rpm release would be far better.

24. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

If I’m combining orders, they always give me a quote to approve before they charge further. I’m in the same boat, was planning on using some of my annual compensation on existing orders to get everything shipped.

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

LOL, you do know that all records are limited, at some point they all go OOP.
    As a collector of all records no matter the age, used or not, there is one singular aspect and that is to get the best possible copy. As you accumulate them over the years, it's almost inevitable you'll be bringing home progressively better and better copies. This can happen all the way till one ends up having a factory sealed copy, as delivered by the factory.

If this wasn't important, people wouldn't need a grading system nor would they concern themselves in getting the best possible copy they could. So, that said, I'm more than happy to buy two of a copy, maybe even more when they come out new. I can afford it, I have space for it, and this is what I want to do. One thing's for sure I'll have a couple of the best copies of this record to a collector, In shrink with callouts, and sealed as delivered by the factory. As a collector, I couldn't have the best of any records if all my records where open, no matter the age of them.

I don't know who died and made you the arbiture of what is the acceptable reason to buy records. Or that there shouldn't be collectors of records curating a library of their choice. You may not know this but it's the collector of records who have preserved all these disc for many many years while others were listening to mini disc, CDs and digital downloads. They will in fact be here long after you're gone doing something else preserving the records for other generations. I'm pretty sure someone in the future will be happy I preserved some sealed records for them.

Elofan, Vinylfindco, teag and 5 others like this.