Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Am I allowed to say something on topic in this thread anymore? Absolutely there is potential for the Clapton release to be spectacular. This is actually my expectation.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Can't say what a one step will sound like as it hasn't come out yet.
    But this one is very good and has been out for 10 years or so, it could be going OOP.
    Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    Mastered At – Sterling Sound
    Manufactured By – Pallas USA
    Lacquer Cut By – CB*

3. David B

David B Forum Resident

33rpm or 45rpm is always an interesting question. I went with 45rpm on the basis of strong reviews. They are not wrong, it does sound fantastic. So lifelike that the band really does sound like they are in the room with me - Stevie and Lindsey won’t stop bickering and Mick and John keep asking for tea and cheese sandwiches. Is the 33rpm just as good, I don’t know, I just know I love the sound of this and I don’t mind turning it over. I still have my original from 1977.

Recordguy and GreatTone like this.
  4. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

So when Music Direct, sister company of MFSL, immediately raises prices on albums that they have recently declared OOP, is that OK, or are they a flipper?

5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

yes its all the noobs who are crushing the thoughts and opinions of the crotchety old record “collectors”

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hah!

It reminds me of a Tom Lehrer quip he made before launching into a song about National Brotherhood Week. "There are people in this world who do not love one another, and I HATE people like that."

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

I have to object to one thing you wrote. "Don't deride others for their purchasing choices." That's fine, until it affects me.

Back in a much earlier time of Record Store Day, there were no limitations on the number of copies you could buy. I knew that one of the hot titles was going to be Tom Petty's Kiss My Amps, v.1 EP. It was pressed in a limited number.

There was, as I recall, a snow storm that day, and I had to go into Boston for work. I stopped into the Newbury Comics at Faneuil Hall about an hour after opening and there were no customers. The whole area, in fact, looked like a ghost town.

I saw what was probably a dozen copies of the EP. I had the notion of buying a bunch of copies and flipping them. That would have depleted the number of copies available for those to buy it at retail. Instead, I bought one copy. I did later sell it for $100! But my decision to buy only one copy allowed for a bunch of others to not get gouged in the resale market. After all, I did nothing to add value to the record. If I had purchased all those copies, I would have made a lot of money at others' expense.

So feel free to buy and sell what you want, but if your transactions only are going to create obsolescence so you can make money, that's morally inferior, in my opinion. If that makes anyone uncomfortable because it cuts too close to home, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

sonofjim, Mazzy, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  8. AnalogJ

Yup, this one sounds terrific!

9. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Revisiting what I thought, and a few others posted, was an overbearing Kick Drum on Carole King’s One Step - Tapestry: So Far Away. Last night I gave it a listen on my new TT, MoFi Ultradeck with Master Tracker cart, and it was gone just clean tight balanced bass. No other changes to my system except the old TT was a Fluance RT-85 with 2M Blue, so most likely it is a system dependent sound.

I actually think that the 2M Blue with its higher output may be worth keeping in a second setup for when I just want to rock out, but for more detailed listening the MoFi UD is the way to go. Waiting for my Darlington labs MP-7 to arrive to determine next steps.

10. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I can't help it, your post is some kind of virtue signaling, mostly for yourself, not to mention fallacies within it.

With your opening line and your supposed objection. I was waiting for the story of how it affected you, but that never came.

Nope, ever since RSD started, store were obligated to only allow one copy of a title per customer on the day of RSD. The next day people were allowed to buy as many copies they wanted of same title. This has been a constant but of course a store could risk their participation in RSD if they broke this rule, so most would not.

Well all big artist are in demand, but lets be real here. This was the second ever RSD Black Friday in 2011, historically Black Friday RSD are pretty dead. For one thing many people start their Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving, SO drag their spouse out for other shopping and records take a back seat.

Context, Yes most titles where limited back then and numbered, Kiss my Amps was limited to #5000 copies. While today that number might seem small, however 11 years ago it was huge. Most big artist and bands putting out a RSD copy would put out numbers in the 3000, 4000, 5000 range. These records produced in these numbers would last many months in the stores, we're talking about Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Beatles, Pink Floyd and so forth.

I know for a fact Kiss my Amps Live was widely available for months after RSD BF 2011. I bought a lot of them for others that didn't have local stores, as well as a few for me.

Like I said RSD Black Friday is always very slow, at the start of it, it was basically a flop. Today it's a bit better, but much slower than in April as it's having to compete with every retail store and people spending money for Christmas presents.

If it was in fact in your opinion so rare and very hard to get from being on sites like this. How come you didn't buy a few more to bring to the site and sell them at cost in the classified? You would have seen people talking about not being able to get one, you would have seen reports that eBay was selling them at high prices.

But the fact is, nobody was having any trouble getting this title, unless they didn't have a local store. They were plentiful, until the weren't months later.

So you flipped your copy for a 400% profit when the price started to command $100 because of later demand.

Too many assumption and looking in hindsight..........
    when you seen them in the store, they where just a $25 record, nothing says they would be anything more than that.

You didn't buy them to help out anyone you know that loves records that was having trouble getting it. Who would have still kept it after all these years even though the price went up.

You left them because they were so abundant and were not thinking of anyone else but yourself.

Maybe flippers bought the rest of them?

You are however correct in saying "After all, I did nothing"

So what I got from this post, is you feel your morally superior for selling your only copy of this title at 400% over list. Than someone buying more than one copy and selling them for the same profit level.

Truth be told, AJ, you feel superior to others no matter what your talking about, it always shows on these pages. So to think you're morally superior to others is just par for the course. It must be a very heavy weight for you to carry all these years.

And to think at the start of your post I thought I was going to hear a story how others buying records affected you in a not getting a purchase on one. I thought maybe I can swing in with supper karma and say I have an extra Kiss my Amps for you!!!! But that wasn't the case at all, it was a made up story of half truths, that you even stuck your foot in your mouth saying you flipped your only copy because the money was more important than the record. We got it!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Tommyboy and teag like this.
  11. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Would you guys just stop? No one gives a flying fish about your moral values when it comes to record collecting.

12. Swordsandchains

im just enjoying the irony of the back and forth

Twinsfan007, Strat-Mangler and Mazzy like this.
  13. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I get that, but these guys are like the Energizer Bunnies of annoyance.

14. I find this entertaining. Sure beats all the crap going on in the world right now. :tiphat:

15. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Don’t siphon it for your YouTube memoirs, though :laugh:

Mazzy and 4-2-7 like this.
  16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Actually many do, clearly we see it coming from many that are pretty new to this record collecting.
    It's always whining about something, Record labels don't make enough records, they should stop limited titles, it's the big bad flippers who wreck the hobby, anyone buying more than one copy of a title is a oger, horder and scum of the earth. If you have sealed records it's a travesty and keeping someone else from enjoying it. This goes on and on, it's nuts and something that wasn't happening years ago. I've seen noobs doing vids on this stuff with lots of other myths and fallacies and it's trying to shame others that's all.

How about a vid, you got one cued up yet?

SAMAUL, Greenmonster2420 and JRose like this.
  17. AnalogJ

Congrats in the new deck. Isn't that manufactured by VPI?

Beach House likes this.
  18. Swordsandchains

coming from the guy who post videos of $50k+ sound system to flaunt and how great a guy he is for letting people come view his collection and sell his valuable records for fair prices to the less fortunate. But yes other noobs are the problem.

19. AnalogJ

You're unreal, man.

I'm not going to address each and every one of these, as they're almost all incorrect. For example, RSDs were EXTREMELY popular around me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't merely the second one when the Kiss My Amps came out. And I KNOW that the empty store was an anomolie. And why should I go to work to buy all of them and sell them in the classifieds at my cost? That's so inane, I can't believe you proposed it with any kind of seriousity (Is that a word? If not, I just made one up.). And how does it affect ME? You may not be familiar with empathy. I'm guessing you aren't. :doh:

20. I’m not sure you understand what irony is. Hypocrisy is not irony.

Now let’s imagine a hypothetical poster, we will call him BoardsandReigns, whom endlessly rags on every label in existence via the Steve Hoffman forums. He doesn’t like a label’s jacket choices, or their price point, or their preorder/backorder policy, or their website, or their phone order policy, or their shipping timeline, or their pricing structure, or their marketing slogans, or their non-audible marks on LPs, or WHATEVER, etc, etc, etc. Endless complaints. Now, in reality, if this imaginary poster were to actually have their way and every label operated by their standards, all record labels would go out of business. Finally, there would be no record labels left and thus no records to complain about at all. That is irony.

21. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Yeah it’s very entertaining! And the longer it drags on the more silly contradictions show up in the posts. It’s fun! :-popcorn:

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

23. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Thanks, I got what I felt was a smoking deal Used “like new” 9/10 from Music Direct EBAy that came with a new Master Tracker for $1700. Using the serial number I actually tracked down the original owner from a post he made on another forum. There are 3 companies involved in the development but wasn’t aware that VPI was one of them. Allan Perkins of Spiral Groove and HRS.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I've done this on occasion and I don't feel morally bankrupt! When the Beatles in Mono boxes and singles had been in the shelves for FOUR YEARS, and were being discounted by nearly a third. I bought my first box. A week later there was a sale in Canada and I had the opportunity to get a second one for like $250. My thought was why the heck wouldn't I, I'll save it for 20 years and it might be quite valuable. Or perhaps I will have a friend that would like it someday. Everyone had ample time to get one if they chose to. I even went so far as to pick up all the singles as play copies over the following month. I bought two Peppers and left one sealed! Over the next month half of them were no longer around and the box disappeared. I don't feel guilty. I don't see why it's anyones business to cast judgement on why someone wants to buy an extra copy of a favorite.
    With that said I do respect the one per customer rule on RSD or very limited releases. It makes perfect sense and is in the spirit of fairness. I have never flipped a record. I couldn't be bothered. I used to sell used records on eBay but that's a different kind of thing.
    I picked up two S&G BOTW One Steps. I'm glad I did because I did my very first trade right here in the classified for Monks Dream. No profit, just two music lovers getting the record they want. Sure I think the S&G is worth more but that didn't occur to me.
    When a retailer/manufacturer jacks the price because it's going out of print, that doesn't seem right. AP and Elusive have both done that. As a matter of fact I bought one of the last Beatles in Mono boxes on AS for $350 before it was listed as no longer available, and saw it reappear as a warehouse find at $500 three weeks later, and it probable wasn't the odd copy because it was listed for a while during the ensuing panic.

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

LMAO
    And therein lies the problem with a lot of young ones, envy of others.

In this hobby one needs to get in where they fit in and enjoy what you have. I always stand by this, that's why when your friend wanted to belittle others for how they want to enjoy the hobby, I had to comment on it.

There will be people online who have more than you do as well as far far less. However belittlinging others for what they have for whatever reason be it less or more is a terrible trait. Envy really sticks out, many of these post trying to shame others for how they want to spend their money, collect records, buy equipment and so forth stems from it.

The only advice I can give is for people to enjoy what they have, stop worrying about what others do to enjoy the hobby. If I want to buy 1 or 10 copies of a title and leave them all sealed it should be no concern of yours. If you wanted to buy 1 copy of something and play it on a Crosley it should be no concern of mine, nor would it be, except I would hope your enjoying your time doing it.

You can't enjoy anything if your always whining about everything is unfair in life or envyus of others. Be appreciative for what you do have, make it enjoyable no matter what, as you only live once.

Believe me, I've been online for around 11 years now, post like the one you just made happens all the time. I'm online to share my experiences and time. I'm not going to hide who I am, or what I have so someone like yourself will feel more comfortable in your standing in life. No one can help you with that, that one is up to you. And yes you are correct, if I start up a relationship with people online who are actually local to me, I'll also open up my home to spend time here sharing the passion.