Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

It's surprising to me that despite featuring videos with her husband people send her valuable records like a horny teenager trying to gain favour with a hot girl.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

It’s strange. I’m not sure I’d be too thrilled with dudes sending my wife gifts all the time. Different strokes for different folks though.

Dougthesnail likes this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I find several things kind of fruitless

Ther are countless Youtube and SH reviewers who leave a 2 sentence or one paragraph not too detailed comment about the record pressings sound quality, and rarely compare the new release to anything in the past (well, past the other recent re-releases.

Thankfully we have such a wealth of people who do go to the extra effort

Some spend a lot more time marketing the hype sticker jacket and listed audio credentials

Also the harping that labels should do new releases of Holy Grails that were readily available 10 years ago or certainly great sounding originals can be found with a little digging and research out in the wild

Speaking of YT channels
    I recently found Tim of University of Vinyl

He does some deep dives, has researched things in depth and incorporated Hoffmanite threads
    He has some interesting topics
    Some complain his posts are too long. I play them on 1.5x speed - perfect

Cheers

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Yes I find this hilarious

Or people are offloading their Kiss, Loverboy or Def Leppard lps and making someone happy

5. Fruff76

Some do comparisons, but it’s typically x Uber expensive release sounds “a little clearer” or something like that.

Swordsandchains and audiotom like this.
  6. Fruff76

It’s kind of sad actually

audiotom likes this.
  7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I enjoy Tim’s videos, very informative.

audiotom likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would like to respond to this. First, if the record store just has a 'license' to sell, then this suggests that the record store is acting as a mere agent of the manufacturer, and in this case, the manufacturer can require the record store to sell at a certain "retail price". However, if the record store purchases the records from the manufacturer (with no right to return unsold stock), then in most cases, the manufacturer cannot require the retailer to sell at a given "retail price". A manufacturer would deal with a record store that is constantly gouging the consumer with high prices by refusing to sell to him (conversely, the manufacturer cannot refuse to sell to a record store that discounts, or sells below "retail price").

Second, I think that is a fantastic service offered by your record store. The store owner is doing this because he feels it is the right thing to do, and as a courtesy to his customers. That's great, and should encourage the customers to do future business with the store. However, these is no legal obligation to do so. There have been few major "warehouse finds" of OOP titles, but there was never an expectation in the collector community that those items would only be sold at the suggested retail prices. One of the most famous was the discovery of many OOP John Lennon items in a warehouse. They discovered boxes of previously rare albums like The Wedding Album and Live Peace in Toronto (with calendar) and rare singles (many with picture sleeves) like "Give Peace a Chance" and "Cold Turkey". All that new stock on the market crashed the secondary market prices but the items were never sold for the original retail prices.

ETSEQ and Mazzy like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

No, not directed at you. Just a general comment.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You probably haven't been following this discussion all that closely. No one has a problem with having an item which has gone up in value years later. It happens.

It's what you said first, the planned buying up of a knowingly limited and desirable item in multiples in order to turn around and sell them for a great profit. In the process, many who might have wanted to buy it at retail are forced to buy it at a much greater price if they really want it.

For those in markets that don't have great access to record stores, imagine if many of those records you want were NOT bought up by flippers, but instead end up on retailers' websites at retail price, available to be purchased and shipped to you?

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My brother for a time was a business fixer. He'd be brought into companies to turn them around. He'd see executives abusing the company, giving themselves lavish bonuses and severance packages even when the company was trying to stay afloat. And even when that was happening, the sales force would have mediocre morale due to being undercompensated and overworked. My brother never failed to turn these companies around, but he was often astonished as to the greed of the owners or CEOs.

When my brother ran companies, he always took a modest salary, and made sure the employees under him were happy and compensated fairly. I have always admired him for that.

12. Like with any other other group or clique, there’s the good bad and ugly. You find the threads or videos of topics or artists you like and then you gravitate towards or away from the posters or videographers you don’t . Some who align with your own tastes or those you learn from in terms of new music.

Pretty much like everything else in life.

Vinylfindco and sennj like this.
  13. I sent her a bunch of McCartney 45s I had duplicates of for the jukebox they both refurbished. She sent me a wonderful bottle of Kentucky bourbon. It’s all generous and innocent

Rocco1, Joe Stark, Bobsblkwax and 6 others like this.
  14. Fruff76

You also sent me those JBL stands. Thanks Mazz :righton:

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

There goes Mazzy gettin free PR again!

;)

4-2-7 likes this.
  16. Mok

Mok Has Potential

You guys should do what I do. I buy up threads on the Hoffman board for super cheap when they're written, sometimes at below cost. Then I hold them and flip them later when I can turn a profit on the sweet comeuppances that occur. It's all above board and honest, and nets me the satisfaction of having played those hits in my own collection, and then letting them out for others to enjoy and deride while I make a cool and tidy sum of enjoyment from the exchange!

audiotom, brucej4 and YouCantWin like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Some of the vc vids are fun to watch. But I take very few of them seriously.

No sample comparisons..no creds imo.

This guy is one of the few. Unfortunately I dont think he makes too many of these type vids any longer...

The only other kind I like are when its a genre Im not familiar with and the youtuber presents cool music that is new to me. There is a jazz guy that does that also that I just found. Four part series of his top 50 jazz titles that I knew none of the titles. That is informative to me.

"This is fantastic sounding!" or "Best Ive ever heard!" means nothing to me in a video no more than here.

18. You mean like the handful of label people who jump on in threads here and influence readers who fawn all over them ?

trumpetplayer and mpayan like this.
  19. Did I ? The wood ones?

Fruff76 likes this.
  20. Fruff76

Yep, the ones that piece together

Mazzy likes this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I suspect we are getting One-Steps due to margin (greater) and licensing (non-competition with rights-holders at the price point).

ETSEQ and brucej4 like this.
  22. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

This is me. The collecting is a by product of the listening and not for the sake of the collecting itself. :righton: I mean, it’s music….I want to hear it!

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  23. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I guess I'm just old. While I find YouTube useful in many areas, I have no particular interest in anyone's vinyl or equipment reviews. I generally don't even watch stuff by Kassem, Fremer, etc. I'd rather waste time here. ;)

Strat-Mangler and CBackley like this.
  24. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

He does lots of projecting when he talks about arrogance. It’s stunning really. I considered responding to one of the longer posts about spending his thousands etc but there was simply so much arrogance, lack of empathy, and absolute inability to look inward for me to even bother addressing it. Thus, this will be my only comment on it. :laugh:

Swordsandchains likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

People are more than welcome to send my wife fancy audiophile records. PM me for address. Thanks!

Fruff76, Rocco1, Bulsara and 3 others like this.