Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

PATB, bluesfan, Dayfold and 1 other person like this.
  2. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Other than some surface noise, are you impressed with the sonics?

4. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

5. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

you know it’s certainly relative…I have a modest system that I believe is up to date on my profile…aside from my preface, my opinion is that it sounds really good. Does it stack up to my monk or dylan…no. The soundstage isn’t there for me as with the others…I feel Clapton voice isn’t as transparent as it could/should/is not able to be. I love this performance which overshadows any of the minutiae for me. For a one step- 7/10. For a live recording from the 90s, I’m guessing…10/10.

6. vinyl>cd

vinyl>cd Climb To Glory / Fly To Glory

It’s kinda early but it’s safe to say that this Clapton One Step is not getting rave reviews.

FashionBoy and Ryan Bedlack like this.
  7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Tom Port has a Super Hot Stamper for $299.99.

JorgeGvb, Guildx500 and sonofjim like this.
  8. DeanoBee

I am interesting in watching the various YouTubers post their comments on the Clapton One-Step. I was not interested in this One-Step myself, but really interested to see if it maintains a high quality.

9. I passed so I’ll be interested too in opinions from the ones I trust their taste. Maybe some folks will give it a more positive shot after spending $125 plus dollars. I think that is a factor here and there sometimes.

Mike H., this_machine and DeanoBee like this.
  10. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Looking at all of the 'issues' that folks are having with various new pressings, I have to question if the initial handling of these records is being done correctly upon receipt and opening? I'm not saying that all these very same folk do not know how to handle records correctly, but the thought has occurred to me that in some cases this is exactly the problem, leading to the concerns and results demonstrated. I think we can all agree that there are a number of newer vinyl adherents who may or may not know how to handle vinyl correctly, leading to my question. As we should know, there is a protocol that is very important to take with handling vinyl records, something that if one does not know what that is, should be researched and then adhered to. Again, NOT saying that the folks upstream have this issue, but it could be a factor with a lot of the records that are inadvertently damaged upon receipt by the less well informed. Possible..yes???

11. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I passed on this one too. I'm doing much better about being selective. This one was pretty easy to say no. Besides I'd rather put that money into system uogrades right now.

FashionBoy, DeanoBee and Mazzy like this.
  12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Boy I don’t know. I’m reminded of a favorite Mark Twain quote when he showed up for a speaking engagement after a prolonged illness, “Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated.” This is not a fail by any means. My grade would be a lot closer to 9/10.

I just played through this again and really enjoyed it. I think it only sounds better as the set goes on, like they kept adjusting the soundboard as the show progressed. I really like the mastering choices used on this and my vinyl is virtually silent. I don’t have the 2 LP reissue done more recently, only the German pressing.

I’ve always liked the German pressing and played it again only yesterday. I definitely prefer the UD1S. I will say, clocking in at a bit over an hour, the one disc German pressing is pushing the limits. I recommended the still readily available 2 LP reissue to my college son because it’s cheaper and probably comparable to the UD1S. As for me? I’m quite happy with the UD1S.

grx8, DavidJ, vinyl>cd and 2 others like this.
  13. What’s changed in 55 plus years ? Records aren’t that fragile as long you simply pay attention. This entire babying your records wrapping them in hazmat plastic coverings and washing them several times prior to playing is a relatively new thing. Mostly since the revival

I would think most people paying over a hundred bucks for one title already knows what to do

ti-triodes, Mike H., grx8 and 3 others like this.
  14. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

You might think that, and I would agree with you, that is how one could expect it to be. However, i have witnessed on several occasions folk who clearly are not experienced in the handling of vinyl, almost trash records that they have just acquired, and at all price points! I recently witnessed a lady pay several hundred dollars for an album at a dealers and then proceed to lay it flat in her carry on bag with multiple other heavy items placed on top of it...just saying!

15. DeanoBee

I am doing better being selective as well. I only recently got back into vinyl and my 600 albums have climbed to 644. I only have the one One-Step (Tapestry) and one UHQR (Are You Experienced?) and I do desire more but I would have to really want the version. I do desire Hotel California, 1984 and I did pre-order Thriller (temporary lapse of being selective). Sadly though I am learning that Mofi takes so long to get this stuff released so that is a bummer. Mofi responded to an email of mine and they said they hope to have VH 1&2 before the end of the year, meaning 1984 is 2023 if we're lucky.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I don’t think MoFi is slow as much as maybe they announce too much too soon. It’s a pretty respectable pace of releases if you ask me. Sometimes too much so. I just got unplugged and now it seems the 45 rpm Eye In The Sky is just a few days away.

I’m not as selective as you though so they just seem to keep pouring in.

Ricardo Cosinaro, DeanoBee and bajaed like this.
  17. DeanoBee

I have Eye of the Sky on the 1982 Vinyl and I listened to it the other day actually. It still sounds great and has been kept clean stashed away in my basement for 40 years!
    When it comes to One-Steps, I do not have Hotel California or Thriller on vinyl but I do have 1984, so in general if I have the album already, I would really want it to One-Step up! :)

Geee! likes this.
  18. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the $399 Super Glowing White Hot Explosion Stamper to come out before I pull the trigger

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

And nowhere to order it.

sonofjim likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

[​IMG]

21. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

22. Cody B

Cody B Whatever you do, take care of your shoes

I wish MoFi would do a One Step of Leonard Cohen's The Future. I was just listening to my original '93 European pressing and there's such potential there.

23. MWebb

MWebb You and me...we died a long, long time ago

(above in reference to 2x45 Eye in the Sky)

I would imagine it is still only a phone call away. I have had my order standing for well over a year at this point and this is not piece limited so I can' t imagine there will be any issue ordering it that way now.

Also, as regards the earlier point about live performances from the 90s, I admit to not being familiar with the Clapton Unplugged, but I have always held the Nirvana Unplugged recording as an absolutely stellar piece of live recording. Either I am crazy or the Clapton one was very subpar as the Nirvana performance is one of my total favorites, both from a musical and a sonic perspective. I would love to see that one given the full audiophile treatment as my normal versions of it are already ++ quality.

Cody B likes this.
  24. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I ordered Thriller too, though I rarely listen to it. But last night as part of my cartridge break in festivities, I gave my original a spin. Loved it more than ever and it sounded spectacular with the new cartridge. Quieter than a few One Steps! I'm looking forward to this.

mikemoon likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't think the goons working at the pressing plant differentiate between a $130. record and a $20. record.