Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

But it does happen. So Long So Wrong is not OOP, just Awaiting Repress, after 18 years.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

LOL, and that's going by MFSL difunctional site, boy things have changed there a lot. It wasn't that long ago they only posted titles they have for sale. A couple here and there would be marked back ordered and I really mean 1-2. And then they would have the Archive Page, where OOP records would go just for reference.

I'm sorry they are starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth again, I feel for all these people getting records that look the way they do. It's just not right, and I don't care if someone says you can get replacements. No way, a premium one step shouldn't even arrive to customers like we are seeing. In fact a $35 silver label shouldn't but they are counting on people settling for less and less every day. Not me!!! I'll go buy $25-$60 non MFSL records that are producing better quality.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    Fruff76 likes this.
  3. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Tempting as it's an all time favorite, but why would they put A Beautiful Morning at the end of it?

4. Vinyl Junkie

Vinyl Junkie Forum Resident

If anyones interested. The Young Rascals is now on MD with free shipping.

ted321 and MonkeyMan like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Same here. Aside from the Marvin Gaye 50th Anniversary, this was my only preorder ever. But I just can't justify keeping it after the latest couple of One-Steps (especially this latest one) are routinely in such bad shape. MFSL's lax QC would literally cost me double what the record itself costs.

I already own the Classic Records 33rpm pressing of I Robot which is phenomenal and engaging. IIRC, this was the first time the actual master tape was used (for some reason I forget) and the mastering is terrific. What I'm interested in primarily is whether the One-Step bests it. I'm wholly uninterested in the 2x45rpm format so that's a non-starter for me unless the album warrants it due to running time.

FOMO isn't part of my record buying habits, thankfully. My actual fear is needing to pay through the nose for what should be provided after paying the initial price... which has happened over and over due to eBay/Discogs sellers misgrading their records or pressing issues. Either way, this hobby is far more expensive to me merely due to both my geographical location and the overall nonchalance with which a lot of vinyl is pressed, these days.

The irony is the UHQR pressing of Kind Of Blue experienced a ton of pressing issues, this Unplugged One-Step does as well, yet the MOV records I've bought through the years *never* have ever had any issues whatsoever. Damn near perfect with amazing reliability; dead quiet too. At 1/3 the price these supposedly high-end audiophile labels charge (MFSL and AP), in spite of all the marketing BS, how it can be that challenging for them to deliver a quality record is shameful.

"Oooooh, the box is nice, the liner notes are fun to read, and look at the limited edition origami praying mantis we give you with every purchase..." Yeah, OK. How about you guys stop with all of this packaging BS and focus on delivering a record that wasn't used as a makeshift skateboard? Sheesh! :D

Mazzy, CBackley, 4-2-7 and 1 other person like this.
  6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I spoke with an Acoustic Sounds rep the other day

I asked about the next UHQR

The reps response
    “We are working on Kind of BLue 45 rpm, and a few other things”

Anyone want to hang out at the dumpster in Salinas Kansas?

7. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

One thing I know is none of use really need anymore records of same stuff we already have. I know both of you have outstanding vast collections of all past TOTL records. Anything we get now is just different packaging of the same old stuff. @teag your included in this also, I seen your pre order list LOL.

We're all crazy, but I don't like getting it up the you know what. I also don't mind having and paying for quality records, just not seeing the quality, only hype on some of these so called top level records.

audiotom, gabbleratchet7 and teag like this.
  8. Vinyl Junkie

Vinyl Junkie Forum Resident

Its available at MD with free shipping.

9. vinyl>cd

vinyl>cd Climb To Glory / Fly To Glory

I tried MD at the time an only the SACD was available. Bummer.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

These marks are down to not polishing the stampers which RTI and QRP don't do unlike other plants like Optimal and Pallas. Would not return if not warped. I bet every disc done with that stamper has same inaudible marks. I've seen this type of thing on many US pressings over the years including RTI and QRP.

11. Wreckords

Wreckords Forum Resident

damn I already bought from Mofi site. At least Mofi doesn’t charge sales tax, unlike music direct. Difference is pretty negligible for one steps, but ends up being $5 more for the standard titles

12. Wreckords

Wreckords Forum Resident

thanks for the info! I remember hearing that, but completely forgot. I think polishing the plates takes off some of the high-end. I’m guessing that since it is a one step plating process and with clear super vinyl that these marks are more apparent than on standard titles.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

This isn't the first One-Step. How would you explain the other One-Steps being devoid of such marks?

FashionBoy likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I find that difficult to believe. I have hundreds of records pressed by RTI and QRP. I don’t think I’ve ever seen those type of marks

FashionBoy, Strat-Mangler and 4-2-7 like this.
  15. “packaging BS”. :tiphat:

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

So who is at fault here? The plant in California that plates, presses and packages the records? Or MOFI in Chicago? I think that as consumers we need to understand the problem.

17. mdp0430

mdp0430 Well-Known Member

In my opinion RTI, and if MOFI brought QC under their roof then they're equally to blame - albeit for a different reason. As I understand it, RTI presses for Intervention and AP as well. I have seen that cloudy substance and finger prints on my records from MOFI, AP and Intervention and it doesn't come out with washing. However, it is nowhere near the level on my AP and Intervention records as it is on my MOFI records. So, this is a RTI problem. The MOFI's cost double (ballpark), and come out worse. So, what is MOFI's QC doing other than checking for seam splits?

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You don't always get them or they aren't that obvious. Maybe it's something that occurs in plating but it doesn't necessarily amount to a faulty disc. Why QC aren't rejecting them. Anyhow I don't call this a faulty disc unless there is audible damage. They would be invisible if this was clarity vinyl. I've seen it on many RTI and QRP discs over the years and has nothing to do with One Step pressing.

groovelocked and NorthNY Mark like this.
  19. Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe Forum Resident

RTI is only plating and pressing records for MOFI. The QC and packaging is happening at MOFI's new facility in Nevada.

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Just curious: how do they ship them after pressing? How the records are protected?

21. Strat-Mangler

Respectfully disagree.

It's MFSL (or AP) who has their name on the product and it's their responsibility to figure out the issue and solve it. It isn't up to the consumer to start educating themselves as to who does what, when, how, or why. The end result is the consumer likely gets an inferior product. No one should care more about their reputation or the ultimate satisfaction of the user than (in this case) MFSL. Whether they crack the whip, implement more thorough QC, or change pressing plants, I don't care nor should I, as long as the underlying issues are addressed.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

This new shipping and QC procedure seems to give RTI a green light to ship whatever they want, then let MOFI sort thru all the records. Would love to know MOFI's QC sampling rate and procedure in Nevada. :shrug:

23. Cup of Joe

Not sure.
    In a youtube video on acoustic sounds channel, Chad did a video chat with Jack Stoughton owner of Stoughton printing and Don MacInnis RTI owner.
    Chad said in the video he was in negotiations with with Don to have RTI press some records for them. RTI would crate and ship the records to QRP.

RTI has a rule they will not schedule pressing time for a record until they have the jackets in the warehouse.
    What it sounds like is MOFI and QRP are handling the jackets at there facilities and RTI is only plating and pressing.
    That would give MOFI an advantage over other customers to get pressing time at RTI.

formu_la likes this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

What procedure? He doesn’t know and has no details. For example:

1. Who puts the LP into the sleeve?
    2. Who puts the sleeved LP into the jacket?
    3. Who puts the shrink wrap on?

If RTI doesn’t do either 1 or 2, how do they protect the lp for shipment to MFSL? If they perform 1, same question. Etc, etc.

formu_la likes this.
  25. Cup of Joe

It's not RTI its just how manufacturing works.
    Pressing records is easy, pressing good consistent quality is hard.

The pressing plant will always press an overrun to cover defects. Records are typically stacked vertical on top of each other. QC is an employee that visually looks at each record, if it looks good they insert it into an inner sleeve. If it looks bad they drop it into a bin in front of them. Wash, rinse, repeat. Whatever records are left over will go to the customer (MOFI) to cover return/replacements.
    RTI offers services to there customers. Plating costs $$$, Pressing time $$$, QC/ inserting $$$, Packing /Shrink wrap $$$, ETC.
    I'm sure RTI would QC the records, if MOFI is paying for it.

My theory is RTI is crating the records in a wooden crate stacked vertically on a spindle (just like they come off the press). Records on top are vibrating causing scratches. The records on the bottom have weight on them and are not moving as much. MOFI has staff in Nevada that is uncrating them, inspecting them, sleeving and inserting them into jackets/boxes, shrink wrapping packaging, and shipping directly to us.

EDIT: RTI has said the Neotech VR900 vinyl (super vinyl, SRX) is difficult to work with and has a very height defect rate.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    4-2-7 and NorthNY Mark like this.