Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

AWESOME news

2. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

Well, rarewaves came through on the recent MoFi “Truth” listing. My friendly neighborhood USPS delivery person just dropped off #4130. Kudos to rarewaves! I would assume then that the eBay listing was correct, but the available quantities were not. A nice surprise!

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I wonder if Music Direct will get any of the new represses of WMD?

I've had a backorder in for while. I imagine it's a few weeks after Mofis distribution if they are getting an allotment.

Briskit and poe_man like this.
  4. vinyl>cd

vinyl>cd Climb To Glory / Fly To Glory

That’s why I didn’t want to take chances and ordered from MoFi just incase MD doesn’t get allotments for the foreseeable future. Even if you had already ordered from MD getting rid of the extra copy and at a profit shouldn’t present any troubles.

mikemoon, audiotom and Boots71 like this.
  5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Or sell it for face and make someone else’s day

mikemoon, audiotom, Troyh and 2 others like this.
  6. vinyl>cd

Noble concept.

7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

It's less noble when you consider the more people sell things for face, the less prices get driven up, the higher probability you have of getting something else you want for face down the line

Troyh and Geordiepete like this.
  8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

lol. Yes. The goal of every record collector: to have something that resembles a law library.

9. thecomposer10

thecomposer10 Forum Resident

As a law student and lover of old books and records, this sounds like a dream come true for me :D

Briskit, Twinsfan007, Cervelo and 3 others like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Finally listened to the Clapton One Step. It's OK, but after one listen, I think that I prefer the Bellman 2011 2LP 33-1/3. First impressions is that the Bellman cut has better presence and "live" feel without losing any of the detail.

My copy was alright, but had some micro scratches at the end of "Tears in Heaven" that result in noise, so I'll try go get an exchange.

Dmann201, stem and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. vinyl>cd

Going to Law School and buying expensive records. Mhhh, do you happen to be a trust fund baby?

I’m kidding. I’m kidding.

I hope you get picked up by a Biglaw after school. I have seen the starting salary for associates at some of those firms and I can say the student loans are well worth it if you get nabbed by one of those firms.

12. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

Yep, a lot more clicks than I've experienced with any of my other One-Steps (which are practically silent). I've also got the clicks/noise towards the end of Tears In Heaven on Side A reported by others.

I contacted MoFI a few weeks ago showing them the image I posted here, but never received a reply. Nothing. Zero. I guess I'm just a nobody 1 in 10,000 international customer they don't really care about.

Here's a different region of my Side A that also has scratches.

[​IMG]

13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I found the opposite. Putting aside the issue of cutting the sides at 45 thus ruining the suite of songs, I much preferred Kevin's cut. The One Step has pronounced sibilance and just sounded like it was trying to hard to impress with booming bass. It didn't sound like the album should even if some individual elements were impressive. Kevin's is smooth, natural, impressive and more akin to the original only better IMHO of course.

4-2-7, NorthNY Mark and Munger74 like this.
  14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

This is a trend I have been finding with a number of One Step releases
    It is very unfortunate

The intent to impress brings some elements of the recording out too far while the overall sound is less natural
    A little restraint is needed with regard to detail, energy etc

This Clapton record is mellow and shouldn’t need any embellishments

4-2-7 and Vinylfindco like this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I really sensitive to sibilance, and I didn't notice that problem on the One Step. Booming Bass? Wait, Really?

Wounded Land and Mr Smith like this.
  16. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

That's everyone who has a complaint against MFSL. Always "boomy bass". I don't heat it.

brucej4 likes this.
  17. Reds622

Reds622 Forum Resident

LeeGriffin likes this.
  18. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

I grabbed one. I hate paying over MSRP so I didn’t buy one when it was $74.99. But with their 15% off sale going on right now, I pulled the trigger at $63.75 which is not much over the $59.99 MSRP.

FashionBoy likes this.
  19. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

The market may be cooling, but having like three new pressing plants in existence will be nice when things heat up. Markets are cyclical and things will eventually go into an upswing again. Frankly, the companies who invested up to now, when interest rates were rock bottom, will probably make out pretty well. I'm sure a lot of labels felt like they were leaving money on the table by the sheer inability to get sufficient product out the door to meet demand. Next time they'll be able to draw on a little more volume.

20. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

A certain group of people have convinced themselves that most, if not all, MFSL records have boosted bass, and sometimes boosted treble.

While we know for sure that Stan Ricker was forced to do some treble boosting 40 years ago, and there are albums from those years where it is audible, generalizing about it on all MFSL LPs is simply wrong.

As far as bass boost goes, I have at least 400 MFSL LPs, and I can't point to a single one that has unnaturally boosted or "boomy" bass. There are reissues on other labels that are worse in that regard.

If someone wants to suggest specific MFSL titles with noticeably out-of-proportion bass, I will gladly go back and re-listen to them.

FashionBoy, Mr Smith and Tullman like this.
  21. putz

putz Forum Resident

I grabbed 2 MoFis and a Dick's Pick.

Shopping cart
    Product image Description Quantity Price
    [​IMG]
    1 Jeff Beck - Truth [LIMIT 1 PER CUSTOMER]

• SUMMER SALE 2022!! (-$11.25)
    1 $74.99
    $63.74

[​IMG]
    1 Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky [2-lp, 45 RPM]

• SUMMER SALE 2022!! (-$8.99)
    1 $59.99
    $51.00

Shopping cart
    Product image Description Quantity Price
    [​IMG]
    1 The Grateful Dead - Dicks Picks Vol. 19 10/19/73 Oklahoma City Fairgrounds Arena [6-lp Box Set]

• SUMMER SALE 2022!! (-$19.30)
    1 $128.69
    $109.39

thatguy1976 and Cervelo like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Surprised no one has commented on Eye In The Sky. I got the 45rpm version but have had zero time to play it. So
    I’m just as guilty! I figured a lot of people here got a copy though. Maybe not?

23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

They definitely went mellow with this Onestep over the deluxe CD. Really mellow; the most mellow I’ve ever heard a MoFi cut. It suits the album well for listening to the whole thing, and avoids that digital glare. Won’t impress anyone with a single song play; this one was made to listen fully.

Tullman likes this.
  24. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I totally agree with your assessment. It's a pretty expensive record that didn't put out the quality of sound I was expecting.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Clapton unplugged is a so so recording. Going from the original single disc to the Bellman two disc revealed it's limitations. Hence I decided to skip the One Step (phew).

FashionBoy likes this.