Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Nobody is convincing oneself - this isn’t a head game
    Some of us hear the record has been embellished

System dependent, sure
    But if all one’s other records (including other pressing of that recording) are not sounding like that it is more than peculiar

I don’t hear boomy uncontrolled bass
    I hear too much emphasis on bass volume - controlled but out of balance

Some Mofi One Steps are perfectly balanced
    Monk, Mingus, Eagles S/T, Dylan
    Just jaw dropping reference quality

Some sound enhanced to me (I wish they didn’t)
    Carloe King, Yes

Some enhanced to a lesser degree Bill Evan SATVV
    Scott Lafaro sounds like he is 10 feet tall
    The Nightfly

Whether this is to stand out in the audiophile end is anyone’s guess

The inner detail of the One Step process should be enough

I don’t hear this type of treatment with regular MFSL records
    Other than the occasional smily eq from the past only softens the midrange.

Count me gun shy

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    4-2-7 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  2. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

Do they sound good? All my one steps have bested original copies.

3. No. Michael is not as funny as I am. *

* imho

SpinIt and Fruff76 like this.
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

And you’re not as cute as The Omaha Introvert. *imho

Mazzy likes this.
  5. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I received my Eye in The Sky yesterday. Flat and silent vinyl and a clear sound. I don't have any other pressings for comparison but I cannot fault this release.
    I have had the SACD (Mofi) for a while but the vinyl leapt out of the speakers and took it to another level.

Fabrice75017, Tullman, Rocco1 and 6 others like this.
  6. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

It’s possible with an active subwoofer that can be fed with signal from the speaker terminals. Through this setup it should use the sound characteristics of your tube amp to blend in better with your setup. This sounds scary, but it isn’t rocket science: the impedance of the subwoofer signal path is super high, and no power is drained from the amp, there’s only signal. The general idea is to fill in the bottom your speakers could be missing. A properly tuned-in and placed subwoofer should not reveal its presence, you’d only miss it when you turn it off. Example subwoofers that can do this are the KEF KC62 and most REL Subwoofers.

I never felt the urge to test this in my current setup, because I find the 35Hz bottom of my speakers quite low enough.

Now back on topic :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  7. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

I have found that with my system a little placement trial and error along with the SVS app, a sealed subwoofer enhances 2-channel sound. Ported subs were generally better for Atmos and DTS X movie soundtracks, but a sealed sub, properly integrated, helped plumb the really low frequencies and generally add more texture to music. The SVS app (exclusive to SVS SW) offers a lot of tailoring options from your primary listening position. No more making tweaks back forth from the dials on the back of the sub. I’m sure other manufacturers offer app customization as well. If your curious about integrating a sub I’d recommend a sealed unit and some means of isolation; either acoustical feet or a pad to decouple the sub from the room and avoid nasty rattles and vibrations.

Fruff76 likes this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Anyone got and listened to "Local Hero" yet? I just got my copy this morning and very much looking forward to listening to it this afternoon.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thank you. Interesting.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

May not be to your taste but what you are hearing may actually be accurate to the master tape. I certainly have no issues with the bass on any titles I have. Another poster admitted his bass issues went away when he upgraded from 'budget gear'. A lot of ported speakers can tend to produce bloated bass depending on room and positioning.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  11. Fabrice75017

Fabrice75017 Forum Resident

Same here. This release is just a fantastic version that brings a bit more of life beyond the speakers than any other previous versions I own and know, including a first UK original LP, SC,...and a few digital mix (SACD, west german Arista, Parsons 2017 remaster...the best to my ears being here the HDAD/Dvdaudio).

Full sounding with an excellent warmth and low medium , detailed just as it must be, depth and width,...Love it !

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  12. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Just noticed the prices for the Janis Joplin Pearl One-Step on Discogs. Were those $125 new? If so, they're selling for less than that now. Wow.

13. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Yes,
    Janis Joplin - Pearl

That was my point yesterday about supply > demand. Look at Muddy Waters also selling well below MSRP.

JRose likes this.
  14. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

10,000 is too many for albums that already have excellent audiophile reissues in print.

Pearl would be faring better market wise if the regular 45 wasn't still available to order, ditto for Folk Singer.

Another issue is how "definitive" these One Steps actually are against their regular 45 counterparts.

15. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

The steam may run out by the time the 40,000 Thriller albums are out. I regret buying the Muddy Waters One Step and will be EXTREMELY selective when getting any more of these. Same thing for the UHQR's.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One of the reasons Pearl and Folksinger One Steps arent a hot ticket on the secondary is because it has been pretty much determined that the Mofi 45 of Pearl and the AP of Folksinger are better sounding.

So let me see... "$75.00 for a Pearl that sounds better than the $100.00 Pearl? $60.00 for a Folksinger that sounds better than a $125.00 Folksinger?" hmmm which one to get?

I dont think Id take those two titles as a reflection the market is falling out on vinyl. I think in those cases cheaper is best. Rare but it happens.

(just yet...though I think it will be a different story more so next year perhaps. Who knows? just a hunch)

17. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

Weren't people complaining in the beginning of the low pressing amount and crying how they couldn't get one?

Now they are plentiful and cheaper on the secondary market and we're still complaining. Lol.

WhatDoIKnow, PATB, Terry and 3 others like this.
  18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I bought an extra copy of the two Eagles. I was planning on selling them at the low end of the current market rate which doesn't appear to be that high.
    I've never flipped a record before and doubt I'll try again unless it's a blockbuster title that's not going to have a huge number released.

19. CoffeePrep

CoffeePrep New Member

At $50 to $75 a shot for MMJ Blue Notes, who cares whether you get a stupid box or not, you've been taken to the cleaners regardless.

20. killer_b_killed

killer_b_killed Stoic Reflector

UHQRs are a no-brainer. Order immediately and be happy.

The UD1S releases seem to be hit-or-miss, which is frustrating. Given the outlay of cash, expectations are (reasonably) high, but too often the expectations aren't being met. With that kind of track record, the desire is bound to drop, resulting in secondary market price drops.

audiotom and CBackley like this.
  21. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

I don't think the price drop has anything to do with sound quality but supply and demand.

Which ones do you feel have been a miss? Genuinely curious.

The only one can think of is the Janis Joplin release because I felt the regular 45 mfsl was better.

22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Vinyl leaping out of speakers? I’d like to see that! Some visual interest to go with the audio. :laugh:

OptimisticGoat and AnalogJ like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I dare say there were quite a few people who were not happy with the Kind of Blue UHQR.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Same here too! Eye in the Sky... couldn't have said it better..."Full sounding with an excellent warmth and low medium , detailed just as it must be, depth and width." My copy has flawless packaging and playing surfaces. Why can't RTI press like this all of the time.

25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Please tell me you have other copies you have actually opened and played. The bottom shelf looks sealed. The value on these is not so high as to not actually open and listen to them. I have a full set myself but have spent time with every one of them in my player.