Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

This is nothing new with MoFi/Music Direct. Look how long it took them to release Kind of Blue after initially advertising the LP.

marcb and FashionBoy like this.
  2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You guys need to look on the bright side, we don't have to pay until the LP's ship. :righton:

David P. Hill, soundQman and dkurtis like this.
  3. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Hi Sam, Rob LoVerde said this One Step sounded fantastic in an interview a while back so I don't think there is a tape issue. MoFi told me recently it was a pressing hold up and we are looking at a Fall release IIRC.

4. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I am seriously thankful that Music Direct does not take payment with preorders. What a mess the buyer and Music Direct would be in.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

As a collector, I get where you're coming from. Strictly in terms of resale value, yes, the 7500 will make the aftermarket value decrease. Initially anyway. But for the buyers who actually want to play the darn thing and hear what all the hoopla is about, 7500 is great. Mofi took some heat on those early Ultra discs for not producing more since they were so popular due to positive reviews. Plus, they lost out on a lot of revenue. As long as the quality is there, I have no problem with 7500. Make no mistake, the selfish side of me would like to have Mofi only produce 10 copies, AS LONG AS I HAVE ONE OF THE 10--LOL. I'm hoping that they all sell out prior to the actual street release. Value goes up immediately. I believe they may be close to that sell out point.

markmck79 likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The problem here is MD/MFSL should not announce titles that are far from being pressed. Maybe they agreed licencing on these but got no further or perhaps they got tapes and cut them. I'm not sure about Dire Straits because the box set from Universal came out initially before the 45 rpm Brothers In Arms. Maybe MFSL put them on hold until other pressings sell out. On the other hand some titles have appeared that are practically unannounced. It's possible they have manufacturing problems with capacity or QC issues.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No, doesnt bother me at all. I encourage as many made as possible. I would want as many folks to have an opportunity to purchase one as possible.

Kyhl, bluesfan, NorthNY Mark and 2 others like this.
  8. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

With numerous buyers getting 2 or more copies it will cut the 7500 copies down very quickly and MD knows that.

9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The number of multiple copy purchasers is inversely proportionate to the number pressed. The more pressed - the fewer people buy multiple copies. I would have put a ceiling of 5000 on any One-Step title released. MFSL had a limit of 5000 on their UHQR pressings in the 1980's, and that was when record sales were at their peak. They will have flooded today's limited vinyl market at 7500 pressed (retail cost of $125). There may be a delayed reaction - but there will be one.

Lucca90 likes this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was told that they have already sold 6,000 copies.

rollo5 likes this.
  11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

How do you know it's not fake news?

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

'THIS is CNN.'

John D. and hvbias like this.
  13. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

That's a good move on MD. No need to pre-order. BOTW is behind on its release already.

SoundDoctor and rollo5 like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have a strong suspicion it is licensing. Look at the Analogue Productions Contemporary reissue series that was announced, mastered, plated, and a promotional video (or two) made and at the last second Contemporary decided to pull it out from AP (posted at Analog Planet). I have heard similar things with Music Matters from Ron. Someone else here started a thread about starting a reissue company and said similar things. When several people more or less say the same thing a pattern emerges with how the majors operate and just how much power they wield. I am guessing that the reissue company just accepts it and doesn't create a big fuss about it worrying that it would burn bridges with the majors hindering future relations/releases. It would be nice if more artists or smaller companies representing artists owned the masters.

SoundDoctor and Bobsblkwax like this.
  15. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It would be interesting to know the number of people who placed preorders for the 6000. The true number is somewhere between 3000 and 6000 with the limit being 2 per person. I expect there to be reduced multi-copy sales as the investment opportunity diminishes. The secondary market is going to be flooded with these things. I would not be surprised to see supply and demand keep the BOTW release priced a little over retail for a long time. As a result, buyers will only buy one as a play copy and forego the second investment copy. The Nightfly One-Step can still be purchased sealed for $160 on Ebay, and that is with 6000 pressed. Other standard MFSL titles have pressing limits at 4000 or below and still have not sold out.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s nothing new for many reissue labels. These threads are like Groundhog Day.

SAMAUL, Tommyboy and DeRosa like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Like the Buffalo Springfield thread.
    Wake up, piss, argue about who can hear the anomaly, and who can't, pass out.
    Next day, wake up...

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t see where lots of buyers of 2 or more copies is an issue. False low supply and false high demand = low secondary market prices.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not really, but I’ll leave it at that.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Nothing changes, day in, day out.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why shouldn’t they? It probably helps their bottom line more than it hurts it.

Folks should go over and read some of the recent posts on the Intervention Records thread about how they’ve gotten their chain jerked on an album they’d already mastered and run off test pressings...my guess is a bunch of things have to go just right for these releases to happen at all, let alone quickly or by a date certain.

mpayan and Tommyboy like this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Apparently the AP Hendrix boxes are behind schedule too. I have enough music to listen to in the interim. It is what it is. Not worth losing sleep over.

mpayan, SoundDoctor, Paully and 3 others like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

This is Fake Fox.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    jhm likes this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It would be really sad to lose those.

25. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I agree with you! Been waiting for a long time for these to happen.