Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

That's a good question. I got shut out of Abraxas. I paid a premium on eBay for Bridge Over Troubled Water. I did not want to be left empty handed on What's Going On. I was starting to get nervous yesterday when three that I knew of forum members posted they were in receipt of it but none of them stepped up to post a review. Then a forum member sold an extra copy for $115, less than the original retail price, and included free Fed Ex to the buyer. I wasn't aware at that time there was another thread dedicated to this title. I think a couple of reviews had come down but I hadn't seen them. They were rather passive and neutral. Anyhow, I was indeed wondering what was going on.

Come this afternoon and my order arrived. I put mine on post-haste. Well, I was god-smacked. It's like the greatest thingI've ever heard. I wish I still had my book, Mercy, Mercy Me, that covered so much of this album. I was reflecting back on it and I believe some of the vocals, like the voice-over vocals on Save the Children, were recorded by Marvin in his bedroom. You can tell the microphone is not an expensive condenser like they would typically use in the studios. That might explain some of the reported sibilance. I don't know what those guys are hearing.

Now, you had asked about the bass. There are three different bass players on this album. I really never noticed the acoustic double bass before. I can hear it on this release. A lot of guys think James Jamerson did the whole album but that's not the case. Bob Babbitt did as much as James did. Again, without the book for reference I'm kind of grasping at straws; but I think the book indicated that one or the other of them recorded DI (direct input) and not through a speaker at all. Meaning, your home speaker would be the first speaker that bass signal ever saw. So the guys with the murky bass issues, maybe that will explain it. If a guy is trying to rock some 6.5" woofers, well .... that ain't how it's supposed to sound. That's one theory.

I don't find the bass over emphasized. Some of those percussive flourishes are a lot more prominent than what I'm accustomed to but ... overall, I'd say this is just fantastic.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Dmann201, pinkrudy and 5-String like this.
  2. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

Is the Bill Evans One-step for sale again?

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I think he means Portrait in Jazz.

4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I seem to have missed the Mingus announcement. So which title is it?
    Could someone list the preorders from Blood on the Tracks and Portrait in Jazz.

5. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

5-String, FashionBoy and AtlTrav like this.
  6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Really pissed at fedex. Got a notice that it was shipped yesterday and would be delivered today. Signed up for tracking updates and was notified it was on a truck for delivery at 6:52 am. Waited all day for an update, had people go by my house to check for a package.

At 6:30 tonight I got a notice it would be delivered tomorrow instead. I called fedex and they contacted my local delivery facility. Turns out it was never on the truck. I could have driven by there today and picked it up if they hadn't told me it was out for delivery. Right before I called it was packed away in a locked storage container with thousands of other packages to be sorted and delivered tomorrow so they couldn't get to it.

I'm going there in the morning to pick it up. I had a buddy coming over tonight to listen.

In the world of audiophile nerds this is a tragedy. I'm suing fedex for a million dollars. I may settle for an unopened one step Abraxas.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    SoundDoctor and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  7. Nice! I have been meaning to call to preorder this one but this makes it a bit easier! Still might call to preorder Mingus and Dylan.

But this is the title I am most excited for that has been announced and not yet released. Got into the one steps a bit late and kick myself on a frequent basis for not picking up Abraxas or ESPECIALLY Sunday at the Village Vanguard. So if you're not a huge fan of that title (Vanguard) and want to part with it, PM me (shameless plug). I will likely resort to seeking out an AP copy.

MisterBritt likes this.
  8. I have learned to never trust Fed Ex delivery updates. They are the worst. Literally the last 3 audio related FedEx shipments through fed ex have been a day later than they say. And they even send me a text to tell me to make sure I'm home and it's still a day late.

I chose media mail for the Portrait in Jazz order I just placed for this very reason. Media mail gets to me early 90% of the time. Unless it goes through California. Particularly southern California. Then it's usually late

In fact, I once had a FedEx item in Denver (my location) for 4 days before it got to my door. What are they doing over there?

9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I wanted to thank you MisterBritt for the detailed review - both historically and sonically.

wwright and MisterBritt like this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If you read my review of both the AP and the One-Step, you'll see that they're very different sonically. Steve Hoffman explained that he tries to get the lead instrument to sound right, and all else follows. The One-Step sounds leaner, but the music makes more sense to me. But that's me. Some prefer the AP. If you're interested in the AP, contact me. Perhaps we can work something out. I don't need both.

jgrillo and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sweet turntable. I’d love to have those Tannoy’s too!

MisterBritt likes this.
  12. I was able to track down your review in a separate thread, and I now recall reading it. One of the reviews that makes me desire the one step. I just don't think I can bring myself to pony up for the current going prices considering the immense amount of other titles on my buy list. I have the recent 2fer of Vanguard and Waltz for Debbie, and it's nice, but I do crave a step up. I personally like Waltz for Debbie more, at least in the presentation on that release. A one step Waltz for Debbie would be nice.

AnalogJ likes this.
  13. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

It’s jarring to say the least. I’ve been the biggest champion of all these One Steps, but the edit/cut choices on this release just kill it for me. I’m a HUGE fan of the album and was so excited to hear what MOFI would do with it this time. Disappointed to say the least. My go to verision is still the Motown 25th Anniversary pressing.

marcb and mpayan like this.
  14. AnalogJ

MFSL was planning a One-Step release of Waltz For Debby, but apparently didn't feel that the master tapes were in good enough condition.

15. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Interesting regarding state of tapes for Waltz for Debbie. My order for the Marvin Gaye is shippable, I ordered on 4th October. I have to say that Music Direct seem to be more on the ball than Acoustic Sounds, I'm still waiting for their Jimi Axis Bold as Love. Mikey Fremer was recently teasing us on his site!! It is a 33 rpm so only one disc to be checked unlike the one steps, its nearly a year now since they were announced, and chad owns the pressing plant. Also what's next in that series, probable delivery date 2022!!

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

MisterBritt likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I believe they are waiting for a sell out. Just like MOFI they want to press these titles in big bunches and not have to worry about storage.

rollo5 likes this.
  18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Finally wrestled #986 away from fedex despite their best efforts to prevent it.

Excited to hear it.

19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

If that's the case, they could have shipped the Mono version last year. After a of year of taking orders, why not press the amount you have orders for of the Stereo version, plus a few extras?

marcb likes this.
  20. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

They are killing the buzz on these releases by taking so long between announcement and fulfillment.

Tullman and David P. Hill like this.
  21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Got #0269...

22. AnalogJ

Make sure you wear protection when you play it.

SoundDoctor, richbdd01 and cwd like this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They are waiting to ship both versions at the same time in the same box and charge double shipping.;)

FashionBoy and Slick Willie like this.
  24. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I have a super clean US '71 Tamla copy of this, I compared just a few tracks and there's no question in my mind about the One-Step generally being a very improved version over my previous copy. As far as sound characteristics, I can compare to other One-Steps I have (which are everything released thus far) . The bass is pretty much that same super sonic-ized type of bass that I hear on the Santana One-Step. The very high frequencies I'd say sound on par with certain tracks on the One-Step Simon and Garfunkel and the One-Step of Donald Fagen, mainly just something I notice on certain percussion instruments , crisp sounding but isolated insofar as I don't hear the overall mastering as being bright. So the other reviews on this thread and their descriptions, despite being seemingly varied, are making sense to me. To me both the Santana and the Bill Evans are the high points of this series so far, and I'd place the Marvin Gaye in the same league as the great sounding tracks on the Simon and Garfunkel.

25. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

An astonishing track - an all time favorite.

Can't wait to spin this - both copies arrived today.

FashionBoy and MisterBritt like this.