Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Wow, that sounds like a PITA. Is it click & pop city if you don’t?

2. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

No. Not in my experience with it. It does attract dust like crazy and is more difficult to discharge than the standard stuff, but it sure can be weirdly silent. Drop the needle and....nothing....virtually silent until the music starts.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My experience, too. But then the dust builds up on the stylus.

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I think I read an article on Robert Ludwig explaining the rare RLII release. He said he made a mother for himself.

5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

What was the banned chemical? I have several 70-80's MFSL albums. Do they give off fumes when I played them, lol? Never smelled anything that was "bad".

7. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

It's a matter of personal tastes, of course. For my money this blows everything out of the water. Recorded in 1964 at the Trident in picturesque Sausalito, California. I listened to mine this afternoon as was blown away how great this performance is, and how great the recordist (Wally Heider) and Japanese pressing are. Just my two cents.

This is the particular issue I own. I would not part with it!
    The Bill Evans Trio - "Live" (Vinyl, Japan, 1981) For Sale | Discogs

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    teag and Carter DeVries like this.
  8. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

“You got to have a mother for me” - James Brown

9. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

One Step Abraxas sounds fantastic. I only have the lossless stream on Tidal to compare to but it's quite a bit better. Best sounding record in my collection? I'm not sure. Maybe, but I have a few that come close (AP Bill Evans "Explorations," original Impulse! stereo "Black Saint," MoFi "Doolittle," MoFi "Garcia/Grisman," the original Columbia "There Goes Rhymin' Simon," which is an audiophile sleeper, original UK "London Calling").

I'm really grateful to have gotten to hear this record on my system. I might still sell it. It's not really worth the $700 I paid to me. At the same time, the "Abraxas" market is currently massively outperforming my 401k, so I don't know how much I have to lose by keeping it, either. As others in this thread have said, in only two and a half years this has already become one of the most valuable records ever pressed, and the prices are still going up. There's currently not one available for sale online anywhere for less than $1100.

10. Don't be the standing one when the music stops!

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

10 yrs. from now, wonder if you'll still be glad you sold it?

12. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I wonder if any of the Canadians who ordered a One-Step from Music Direct can tell me what they charge for shipping, and which carrier they use.

I am planning to pre-order a few of the upcoming titles, and sent an inquiry to MD, but they told me they wouldn't give a price until it ships. I'd like to have some. sort of ballpark in mind before signing up for these, though.

Thanks!

13. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Please read Article 1, Section 10 then get back to me.

14. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Not sure how that applies. Always willing to learn though.

15. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

FedEx. you’ll also pay around $35 in duty. I just checked and the last One Step I bought cost me $201 CAD plus duty. You’re going to be looking at approximately $230 CAD done and dusted for each one. They’re kind of insane, to be honest, these sets.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Fractured likes this.
  16. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

James Bennett and Fractured like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! I feel for you all in Canada and the higher prices and fees you have to pay. I've complained about paying sales tax at times with some vendors. Even with sales tax it's not even close to the costs you are paying in Canada. In other words I have nothing to complain about.

FashionBoy, formu_la and Myke like this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, we American really don't. I've been helping a brother from the UK today...every time I find him what he wants here, it's $30.00 shipping for a 2-3 record set. I feel downright Blessed. :angel:

OptimisticGoat, formu_la and Bill Mac like this.
  19. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Thanks, James! Was that CAD $201 (about USD 150) before the price hike to USD $125? 'Cause $25 for Fedex air to Canada is not that bad. I was kind of expecting it to be closer to $50.

Still crazy, yes. I don't think I'd be considering it if it weren't for the resale value. I expect this to start to drop off a bit as they get further along in the series, but I imagine they will continue to at least hold their value for a while.

20. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Probably not, as the "duty" James was referring to was probably just the federal sales tax. I've never been charged duty in any of my recent vinyl purchases from the US; only GST. (And all my MMJ orders, which come by mail, have so far escaped being taxed at all!)

Nevertheless, given the price is about the same, after shipping, I'd probably consider the Amazon option down the road, if it looks like the sell-outs in presales are over. But for the Dylan, I'm not going to take that chance.

21. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Gerald,
    Yes, it is $201 Canadian before the price hike to $125.00 US. I am in Canada too. Bought the Nightfly, 2 x BTW and 1 copy of Texas Flood.

That $25 US is $33.34 Canadian so you will be at $234.34 Canadian plus the FedEx duty Charge. My wife paid that at the door when my 1 copy of Texas Flood arrived. I believe she said it was around $25 to $28 so basically your looking at slightly over $250 Canadian a pop.

You will really have to like the album to justify that amount.

James Bennett and Fractured like this.
  22. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Yeah, no kidding! (At least it's not ERC money, though.)

Thanks for the info, Moon!

23. SRV_AU

SRV_AU Forum Resident

$253 Aussie dollars landed.

Stevie changed my life, worth every $!

24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

You may be right in that it’s not duty — I figured it was and never looked at the slip to see what it truly was; it annoys me every time and I shred it without looking.

I may start just taking my chances and buying them on Amazon. It’s ridiculous now buying from MD.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m always curious why companies just don’t lower their prices so that when all the fees are added to imported Canadian goods, that the cost isn’t about the same to the consumer? I’m assuming these One Step’s are high margin items. Would be a good PR move to just handle it that way. I know you can’t do that will all products, but on higher margin products, and on a luxury item like this, you would think they could help out the Canadians!

FashionBoy likes this.