Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Forum Resident

Easy nuh, Mon.

2. EC3970

EC3970 Forum Resident

I just got #1481 - all the correct jazz on side one, no Blues Hammer

JackDVD78 likes this.
  3. #447 in the house and disc one in the KLAUDIO as I type. System warmed up.

4. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

MFSL did a great job with the sound on this release. However, the price is getting to the point, for me personally, where I probably will not be getting anymore of these except for albums that truly are must have favorites of mine.

bluesfan and Jrr like this.
  5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

Yes it is SRV on side one. I reported those results about four pages back.

6. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

Yes. My #1820 has SRV on side one and the deadwax matrix is 005.

7. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

#576 Checking in.

No SRV thankfully. The scuffing is so bad, it makes my sleeves look used-really bad. I’ll forgive ‘em if the sound lives up to my other One Step titles titles(which didn’t suffer as badly with the scuffing).

8. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I feel quite a bit better about this version of Portrait in Jazz today after listening to the second disk. It still required a fair amount of meticulous brushing even after a wet clean, but I knew to expect that, and this time the disk was flat. It seemed to be well-centered as well, and the surfaces were indeed pristinely silent.

Sonically, I expect it is probably the best this title will ever sound, though the recording of the piano itself will keep it from ever being thought of as an audiophile recording. I think someone used the word "boxy" to describe the piano sound, and I guess that fits what I'm hearing. It sounds pretty good during single note runs, but when he plays chords it sounds hard and one-dimensional, almost more like an upright piano or something. I suspect it's caused by a slight overload of the mics, but I'm not sure--in any event, it doesn't seem like something that could be fixed in mastering. The bass and drums sound good, though I really wish the bass were more balanced (volume-wise) with the piano in the mix. I've only heard this album before on CD (the K2 remastering), and thought it sounded harsh and unpleasant. This is certainly an improvement over that, yet I would never use it as a demo disk.

9. glide

glide Forum Resident

So out of a total of 7 "premium" releases they have managed to have 2 serious mis-presses with the actual music you are supposed to receive not being present on the albums?! (BOTW and PIJ)

On top of that, a 17% price increase? I think I'm done with this series.

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

Yeah, when you put the facts out there, it doesn't impress.

David P. Hill and Bill Mac like this.
  11. AnkySoho

AnkySoho Forum Resident

Not exactly six sigma, is it. Mofi is wasting so much money and time fixing this stuff, yet they still haven't made any steps to improve the process. It's like making these One-Steps is such a windfall for them that they aren't even worried about it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

MisterBritt likes this.
  13. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

Order placed, within comment box: Please don't send scuffed LP jackets.

14. SRV_AU

SRV_AU Well-Known Member

15. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

16. Jeremy Bunting

Jeremy Bunting Forum Resident

I would too; why smear their social media before you give them the chance to make it right?

17. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

#1820. #1822,#1975 - there will be as many errant pressings as the number they limit each stamper 'convert' to. The matrix on side one with SRV (#1820) is 005A17. So where did they grab A17 from if SRV had 7500 pressed? What do they do with these stampers when they have reached their end of life? Was A17 the stamper they were keeping around to replace warranty demands, or did they pick it out of the bone pile by accident? I suspect SRV A17 was kept around for warranty repressings and it was grabbed inadvertently. If that is true, does that mean that they used 16 previous stampers to press 7500?

18. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

All valid questions: To Err is Human

19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

My question kinda reads like an elementary school math word problem doesn't it.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t like either the One-Step or UHQR boxes. They’re just useless trinkets eating up precious real estate as far as I’m concerned.

bluesfan, LeeGriffin, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco Forum Resident

It all too much

22. Vinylfindco

If the could use the MOFI design on a Soria style slipcase we could all relax lol

23. Vinylfindco

I'm really on the fence about opening PIJ. I just automatically preordered it and I'm not a huge fan of it. If it was a show off audiophile recording I might be inclined to keep it but my bank account is reeling and an open copy won't really be worth all that much as far as it gaining value. But if I leave it sealed I would feel bad if I or someone else decided to open it and couldn't remedy a defect. Maybe I should return it. It's not like I have to collect them all. I passed on SRV and missed Abraxas so it's not essential like I'm completing a set.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I’d try to sell it opened above retail price in the classifieds on this forum. That way, people will know that they’re paying a premium to make sure that the records are correct, something that buyers on the forum like to do.

bluejimbop, MYKE and CBackley like this.
  25. Vinylfindco

Yes you're right. I had to do the same with BOTW, the only one of which I bought two, because I felt that a knowledgeable buyer who would want it to play would appreciate it being checked and perfect rather than take a gamble.

SoundDoctor likes this.