Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Forum Resident

If it's not in the hot zone, now taking shape around #1975 - #1822, should it be a worry? What serial number is your box?

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco Forum Resident

I'm going to open the carton and check now

3. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t open it yet. What # is your set?
    The # is on the back of the box

Most seem to be around the same edition #

4. Vinylfindco

It's #0655

MisterBritt likes this.
  5. Vinylfindco

I didn't open the album, just the shipping carton.

6. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Cool didn’t realize you meant shipping package. :)

scoutbb likes this.
  7. Vinylfindco

I have an OJC somewhere, I'm going to find it and give it a spin to see if it wins me over. I do have the two live albums that I like very much plus the first Evans one step version. Maybe it will grow on me enough to want to hold on to it. I've only really heard it recently through Spotify so I may not be getting the full impact.

8. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I think you are correct in doubting your getting the full impact on Spotify.

AnalogJ likes this.
  9. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

You won’t get the full impact on the OJC either IMO. I compared it to my One Step and the OJC was muffled in comparison. Like they used a cassette to master it or something.

tubesandvinyl and AnalogJ like this.
  10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Glide, what was wrong on the BOTW, simarlity as the same as PIJ with a full side of SRV tracks instead PIJ? On the BOTW, is there an identifying matrix number I should look for?

11. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Good gosh open it

CBackley likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ CMO (Chief Musical Officer)

My copy of PIJ just got shipped. I'm away for two weeks, back Memorial Day. I'll spin it when I get back, and compare to my AP 45.

FashionBoy and SoundDoctor like this.
  13. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

I would also like to know... i work so much I have so little time to stay caught up here...

14. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Now up to three SRV and so far apart numbers....Yikes! And to think of how many buyers that do not reside on this forum etc...
    Obviously thay musta have grabbed the wrong stamper by the pressing machine. Sure it could happen and it's human to error etc. But what scares me is that the mistake was apparently not discovered at the pressing machine. Then they would not let the SRV LP's continue to packaging. So maybe a whole run of a stamper like 500-600 are faulty? Between 1820 to 1975 is 155 pressings that most likely are affected if they were manufactured and packed in sequel. Who knows?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do we know that the numbers actually correspond with the order the discs were pressed?

16. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog

SoundDoctor likes this.
  17. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

I received 1069 and it is correct, flat disk and a good listen. Sleeve 2 is creased and I'll be calling to get replacements. I can live with the mild scuffing but not the crease, so since I'm calling I'll ask for both sleeves.

MisterBritt likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

Haha. That's a good one.

It's outta the retailer's hands. They don't collate and seal the box. Unless MoFi orders that the box be loaded differently, we're going to continue to have the problem.

19. glide

glide Forum Resident

They included 2 copies of the first LP. I called them up and had to get a replacement. Not sure if anyone identified a number range that was impacted.

This was not an isolated incident either. It impacted many on the forum.

20. AnalogJ

I have been out of town (still am) until Memorial Day. And my copy just shipped a couple of days ago. I'
    It'll probably arrive next week (and hopefully a kind neighbor will bring it inside for me.)

I'm certainly interested in comparing it to the AP.

Y'all hold the fort in the meantime. :)

FashionBoy and dkurtis like this.
  21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

If they’re not going to change their process, it’d be nice if they pre-made a bunch of extra replacement sleeves. They should know roughly how many based on previous releases. That way they could send them out immediately instead of making people wait months to get them.

But given that the replacement sleeves were well insulated from rubbing against each other and had to be shipped at a cost of $3-4 each shipment. . .and took their employees time and effort to pack, ship, etc, you’d think a thin piece of tissue paper x 7500 (or whatever the initial run is) inserted between sleeves in the first place would just make more economic sense in addition to frustrating customers less.

Continuous Process Improvement, doing it right the first time, etc - just seems like a win-win to me.

22. AnalogJ

And that was my finding with the SATVV comparison. That aspect, given the added importance of the bass in a trio setting, makes it all the more imperative, in my opinion, to get the bass right.

FashionBoy, dkurtis and Spin Doctor like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Same re Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

Hold on a minute, I don't consider this a laughing matter. Music Direct, after receiving my order for BOTT yesterday, actually read my comment within the order.
    This morning I received an email from customer service regarding the scuffed jackets. They are fully aware of the issue and hopefully correcting the problem.
    Here is part of the reply I received from them:

I did receive your special order note regarding scuffed jackets. We understand your concern and if you were to receive scuffed jackets we would gladly replace them at no cost.

Please let me know if you have any questions or other concerns.

Twinsfan007, scoutbb, dkurtis and 4 others like this.
  25. Todd Harris

Todd Harris New Member

Seems like mofi does have extremely tight bass in many of their releases