Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. glide

glide Forum Resident

They included 2 copies of the first LP. I called them up and had to get a replacement. Not sure if anyone identified a number range that was impacted.

This was not an isolated incident either. It impacted many on the forum.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have been out of town (still am) until Memorial Day. And my copy just shipped a couple of days ago. I'
    It'll probably arrive next week (and hopefully a kind neighbor will bring it inside for me.)

I'm certainly interested in comparing it to the AP.

Y'all hold the fort in the meantime. :)

FashionBoy and dkurtis like this.
  3. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

If they’re not going to change their process, it’d be nice if they pre-made a bunch of extra replacement sleeves. They should know roughly how many based on previous releases. That way they could send them out immediately instead of making people wait months to get them.

But given that the replacement sleeves were well insulated from rubbing against each other and had to be shipped at a cost of $3-4 each shipment. . .and took their employees time and effort to pack, ship, etc, you’d think a thin piece of tissue paper x 7500 (or whatever the initial run is) inserted between sleeves in the first place would just make more economic sense in addition to frustrating customers less.

Continuous Process Improvement, doing it right the first time, etc - just seems like a win-win to me.

4. AnalogJ

And that was my finding with the SATVV comparison. That aspect, given the added importance of the bass in a trio setting, makes it all the more imperative, in my opinion, to get the bass right.

FashionBoy, dkurtis and Spin Doctor like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Same re Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

AnalogJ likes this.
  6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Hold on a minute, I don't consider this a laughing matter. Music Direct, after receiving my order for BOTT yesterday, actually read my comment within the order.
    This morning I received an email from customer service regarding the scuffed jackets. They are fully aware of the issue and hopefully correcting the problem.
    Here is part of the reply I received from them:

I did receive your special order note regarding scuffed jackets. We understand your concern and if you were to receive scuffed jackets we would gladly replace them at no cost.

Please let me know if you have any questions or other concerns.

Twinsfan007, scoutbb, dkurtis and 4 others like this.
  7. Todd Harris

Todd Harris Well-Known Member

Seems like mofi does have extremely tight bass in many of their releases

8. Moroboshi

Moroboshi Well-Known Member

Received my copy of PIJ today. There are some scuffs on both sleeves and a small seam split on one of the sleeves, which is a bit of a bummer but the sound is great. Will be interesting to compare this to the AP 45 version from the complete Riverside box set.

Mofi should do the packaging like with the 2007 reissue of The Song Remains The Same box set I have, with the nice all around padding that makes it a nicely tight fit (and I think prevents seam splits with the heavier 180g pressings) and also add a sheet of thin bubblewrap between the two sleeves. Seems like an easy enough fix.

9. You left out your error ratio of 49.9% - 74.9%

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So if I get a SRV/Evans hybrid and the outer sleeves are perfect that would mean Id have the rarest of rare

Actually, I guess if I get any One-Step boxset with perfect outer sleeves then that would be the rarest

:idea:

11. AnalogJ

1/3rd of that is due to user error. The other 2/5ths is due to the rotational speed of the earth, minus anti-skate.

CBackley and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

That sounds like the Sex Panther bit from Anchorman: (can't remember it exactly, but) ".... 50% of the time this works every time."

AnalogJ likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It baffles the Hell out of me how this is supposed to be the solution.
    Not that they're going to find a better way to avoid the problems, no, but that they're going to accept returns, and replacements.
    So you take your car to a mechanic, who tells you to your face, " look, I may not be able to fix this, but I'll gladly accept you bringing your car back here, over, and over until I can get it right ! "
    What happened to getting it right in the first place ?

Both my Abraxas, and my BOTW came from forum members, who dealt with making sure everything was as it should be, before selling to me.
    I've pre ordered Fragile, but now am watching closely as these other releases are being received, before deciding to cancel , or not.

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Until they sort this problem out, gladly to replace at no cost is acceptable for me in the interim. If people want to cancel orders, I'm all for your right to do as you please.

FashionBoy likes this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

"60% of the time, it works every time" :righton:

Preston likes this.
  16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

From MD?

If so, you have nothing to worry about but the inconvenience.

But-yeah, these are not hard problems to solve.

17. Myke

That's the point, I don't see any proof whatsoever on their part, to "sort any of their problems out." They see no dip in sales, even though these complaints are now showing up elsewhere on social media. I watched video of a guy putting on his Bill Evans, and SRV comes out of the speakers ! At $137 a pop, having to rebox my purchase, drive it to the PO, stand in line, is unacceptable to me, and should be to others.
    Why it isn't is what fascinates me.

18. Myke

Yes, the only place I'd order such an expensive item, would be directly from the distributor.

dkurtis likes this.
  19. Skynyrd77

Skynyrd77 Active Member

Where is the yes-fragile one step preorder?
    I haven’t noticed that yet.
    Got my Bill Evans yesterday but haven’t had a chance to open it yet

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI

Myke likes this.
  21. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I feel your pain, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

dkurtis and Myke like this.
  22. Myke

Well, as Luke just pointed out, I guess it wouldn't be more than a phone call. Still, an awfully strange way to run a profitable business, with a reputation that has to be taking a hit by now.

23. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Received PIJ box #2044 from Mofi .Box in great shape, no scruffed seelves, vinyl flat and sound was outstanding, all I can say is wow. Previously bought Village Vanguard from third party. Seelves were very scruffed but vinyl in great condition. Sound also outstanding.

I purchased all the Dylan mono releases and all the Miles quartet releases from Music Direct and didn’t experience any issues.

My understanding was no Math required for participation in this forum. (-:

djost and Slick Willie like this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

You only have to be able to count to two to order from Music Direct.

bluejimbop likes this.
  25. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Music Direct has made returns or replacements as easy as they possibly can. What other company offers to send a replacement out without first receiving the damaged item? It comes across as indifference, but it is really unmatched customer service.

Jimijam and Tullman like this.