Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Is it AAA? Oh yes, it was released in August 1973.

"Innervisions
    won Grammy Awards for Album of the Year and Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording in 1974 ..." *

* I was kind of scratching my head about being awarded Album of the Year in 1974 when it was released in 1973. I've concluded it's like the Super Bowl, played in the early part of the calendar year following the previous season's games; e.g. the KC Chiefs 1970 Super Bowl victory was the culmination of their 1969 season.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    SoundDoctor and bajaed like this.
  2. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

One of Hilary Hahn's Bach albums, I think it would do really well.

Kyhl and RobCos02330 like this.
  3. usethefourth

usethefourth Well-Known Member

I have Portrait in Jazz #1595. No SRV on it. Overall, once a wet wash settled the very high static, the vinyl was clear and very detailed. As others mentioned, you can really hear the tightness on the bass, especially more than on the OJC I have. The inner sleeves were scuffed up pretty bad so I will be asking for a new set of those. The vinyl itself was pretty clean other than a slight surface mark that isn't impacting sound.

4. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that's the aim. Some, may get two and save it incase the first one gets damaged. But, mostly for later resale.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I wouldn't even say "mostly." "Always" is more accurate. No one is going to buy an "extra" One Step as a "back up." lol. I've got records from the 1950s that play just fine. They don't wear out for the most part. The people who say they buy it as a "backup" are trying to not be looked at as flippers. Nothing wrong with it, but that's why people buy two ALWAYS. Only a lunatic would spend $125 so that some day 40 years from now they can open up a new copy.

LeeGriffin, DaK and usethefourth like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

There is a difference between collectors and flippers.

As a collector I keep doubles of lots of my favorite LPs and also of many valuable LPs. That includes many of the titles we are talking about here. Logical? No but it makes me happy.

Just don't ask me why I have 15 vinyl copies each of Ghost in the Machine, Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours, or I Robot...

7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Call me crazy.

Right there with you. And on the rare occasion I have damaged a rare LP, I have been really happy I am insane.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Idiotic, idn't it? Weve been suggesting this AND many have written emails.

Jrr likes this.
  9. Todd Harris

Todd Harris Well-Known Member

Records do wear down over many plays, the sparkly highs aren't quite the same

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you play clean records with an unworn stylus on a properly set-up rig, you would have to play a record several times a day for a decade or two for this to happen.

audiotom, Mazzy, rxcory and 9 others like this.
  11. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I see Bob Dylan's one step coming out has a limited number of 9000. The limited number just keeps on going up. It's a bit too high a number count.

12. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

That's fine. I'm happy anyone that wants one can get one. Kind of absurd to call them "limited" at that point, though. The 45 rpm Dylan mono's were limited to 3000 copies. I'd imagine that five years from now those will be worth more than the BOTT One Step.

13. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Here's each release's total unit sales, with the percentage change from the previous release's total units. In other words, the upcoming Bob Dylan represents an increase of 50% more units than the Bill Evans Trio Portrait but it is a 360% increase over the Santana, 200% increase over the Village Vanguard, etc. Plus, they are charging an extra 25% for the translucent vinyl formula.

TOTAL UNIT SALES

Santana Abraxas - 2,500 units
    Bill Evans Trio Village Vanguard - 3,000 units (+20%)
    Donald Fagen Nightfly - 6,000 units (+100%)
    Simon & Garfunkel Bridge - 7,500 units (+25%)
    Marvin Gaye What's Going On - 7,500 units (0%) -- plus 25% price increase from original
    SRV - Texas Flood - 7,000 units (-7%*) plus 25% -- price increase from original
    Bill Evans Trio Portrait - 6,000 units (-17%*) plus 25% -- price increase from original
    Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks - 9,000 units (+50%) -- plus 25% price increase from original

GROSS SALES TOTALS:

Santana Arbaxas was $250,000.
    Bill Evans Village Vanguard was $300,00
    Donald Fagen Nightfly was $600,00
    Simon & Garfunkel Bridge was $750,000
    Marvin Gaye What's Going On was $937,500
    SRV Texas Flood was $875,000
    Bill Evans Trio Portrait was $750,000
    Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks (projection will be) $1,125,000.

Total gross sales, to include projection for upcoming Bob Dylan = $5,587,500

* The percentage of reduction is "normalized" and rounded. It is actually the amount of increase needed to get back to the previous number. In other words, if you place four quarters (coins) on the table and remove one, you've removed 25%. If you add that quarter back, you've added 33% rather than 25%. I used that larger number as the percentage of units.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    rxcory, stevos47, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.

14. Nope, what's you are hearing is a worn stylus.....if one has set the TT/Cartridge properly and have handled the vinyl properly the loss of highs are due to something else.

Dmann201, ssmith3046 and Joe Harley like this.
  15. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Everything .... everything, is for sale at the right price.

16. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The mono pressings were also very limited; and yet, many are still for sale. Whereas, the BOTT will be sold out before shipping. I see supply and demand as two equally weighted variables. Although 9000 is a high hurdle.

MisterBritt and musictoad like this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

SRV is sold out.

FashionBoy likes this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Except for here on the Hoffman vinyl for sale store ;)

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I respectfully disagree, unless your cart and table are improperly set up. If you care for your cartridge, table and arm, and take good care of your vinyl, sound degradation should not be noticeable over time. Some of my best sounding records are 40 to 50 years old.

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Want to buy an Abraxas? Special price this week only...$5k.

stevos47 likes this.
  21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

So let me get this right: You are buying another $125 One Step to NOT resell, but to keep sealed on a shelf "in case" you choose to open it and play it someday, because your original One Step "may" become damaged? The likelihood of that record ever needing to be used by you is astronomical. I suppose some relative will be very happy with you once you pass over the bridge, as they will slap that thing on ebay so fast it will make your coffin spin. The likelihood of a relative actually opening and enjoying the record is also low. The conversation will more than likely be, "Look at what crazy Uncle Jack was saving. The old goat didn't even open this one!!! Ha, ha ha ha." Then, once they look at Ebay, their eyes and other openings will widen at what they can sell it for. Then they will say, "Wow, he really was crazy to keep it on a shelf!" LOL. All my best to you. I'm in this crazy hobby with you.

bluejimbop, AnalogJ, SAMAUL and 3 others like this.
  22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well, I haven't damaged a One-Step...yet.

But - I did drop a Pink MFSL Sea Change a couple years back. I blame my 5th cup of Joe and my butter fingers.

But. Mostly my butter fingers!

Fortunately, I had a sealed copy on the shelf. So, the damaged set got given away and I opened my sealed copy.

I am not saying it is sensible for most. But, I was sure glad to be crazy that day.

23. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Butter fingers! Go to the back of the class!:waiting:

24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Or, you could have used all that money you've used to buy backup copies to get a replacement copy in the very rare case you need one. And the rest of the money you'd save could go towards other records.

But you do you.

25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I just buy two of those LPs, too.

And I am NEVER paying $300+ for a replacement to an LP I damaged. Don't care what it is.

But, paying the $70 for two copies at release is just fine with me.

*EDIT* - I also have a habit of gifting LPs to friends. Rare, common...whatever.

You've never seen a happier Beck fan than when you sport her a NM copy of Midnite Vultures or The Information.

Twinsfan007, Mugrug12, Admerr and 2 others like this.