Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Which side(s) has the back and forth movement? I can definitely hear it during "Spring Is Here". When Evans plays a note or chord and lets it sustain, you should be able to hear the pitch slightly bending up and down. I admit that I have more sensitive ears for pitch (I have perfect pitch). I was at a friend's once who was demonstrating the MoFi 45rpm Kind Of Blue. I told him during one cut that it sounds off-center. He had never noticed it himself, but he went over to the turntable and, sure enough, he noticed the tonearm swaying back and forth.

FashionBoy likes this.
  2. Side 1. I often will notice it if it's audible, but not here. The movement is very minimal, but I can see it moving ever so slightly.

I will replay side 3 to see if I notice any pitch fluctuation during Spring is Here.

3. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Yes.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What does that mean, some vinyl material comes off?

5. usethefourth

usethefourth Well-Known Member

I don't even use the box. I just take the 2 records out, sleeve them individually and put them on the shelf next to each other. The box goes in a separate room in case I ever need or have to sell it due to financial hardships.

6. CitizensForBoysenberryJam

CitizensForBoysenberryJam Forum Resident

If anyone is interested in obtaining just the records for the Abraxas One Step for a fraction of what they go for now there is a copy up on Discogs currently. There were actually 2 copies but I just snagged one, originally asking $400 but I offered $360 and they took it. I know this is still a lot of money and I’m pretty upset with myself for even going through with it but I’m sure I’ll get over that in a few months time lol. Again there is no box or any other packaged materials, just the records with plain white sleeves, the boxes were damaged in a flood according to the seller.

audiotom likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

This is why I put all of my OneStep boxes on stilts.

In any event, please report back on whether you think the Abraxas is worth what you spent after hearing it.

audiotom likes this.
  8. CitizensForBoysenberryJam

Been a while since I viewed this thread but it looks like some debate about the boxes has come up again so I’ll share here what I wrote on a different thread because I can’t stand the boxes and will **** on them whenever I can lol. This post was originally made in a thread about the Axis UHQR release but everything I say goes for these MoFi boxes as well:

The boxes that house this and similar releases feel sort of like a marketing idea, they’re flashy and I think they know this will make it easier for some people to justify spending so much on one record; especially considering that most of the titles being offered in this fashion are titles that the target market probably have at least one copy of already.
    I wouldn’t even mind them that much if they weren’t so boring! Give me some new artwork inspired by the album (look at the AP cd release of Wish You Were Here) or at least something other than the exact same artwork just smaller with cheesy gold logos surrounding it. The materials used are probably very nice, I mean we know this particular box costs $16 to make but consider that it’s housing an already incredibly nice AP gatefold and...these things are pretty damn nice as it is. Not to mention it adds another step or twowhenever you go to play it.
    A lot of these things wouldn’t bug me at all if the box truly added more artistically, I mean aesthetically I bet it’s nice to hold but knowing I am paying at least $16 more for something to feel more aesthetic in my hands when what I really wanted it to do was sound nice feels idk...silly. The math just doesn’t add up. Especially when I would have no problem paying closer to $80 for this without the box and I would still do $100 for the MoFi One Steps as long as they were 45 rpm. I know this is probably the unpopular opinion, people like the boxes overall but when I’m spending this much I feel the boxes are clearly the most superfluous aspect being factored into a purchase only being considered because of audible advantages.
    More space, more $$$, more time all for what usually feels like more of a wasted opportunity than anything else.

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

The boxes absolutely are marketing and nothing more. Complaining about them is kinda like complaining about commercials for products you buy. It's like yeah go ahead and complain but you still bought it lol.

ti-triodes, Dmann201, gr8trak and 2 others like this.
  10. CitizensForBoysenberryJam

I will definitely report back, this is the most ridiculous item I’ve ever bought tbh. I’ve never even heard this album...The hype surrounding it has simply peaked my curiosity enough. I plan on tracking down a clean original and doing a shootout. Assuming I enjoy the album enough and that the one step does indeed blow it out of the water enough to justify me wanting it I will certainly hold onto it until another version comes out that might compete a little more. If I’m at all unimpressed with the album musically or sonically I’ll gladly sell the One Step and just be glad that I never have to wonder about the mysterious and magical Abraxas One Step.

11. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

From an old forum thread on the subject...

“Some information for those of you who are wondering about the ticks and pops on your supposedly mint MFSL albums.

MFSL had a 'reminder' that they included on the flip side of the Certificate of Limited Warranty that read:

‘We do not de-horn our metal parts in order to prevent damage to high frequencies and transients. It may be necessary to play this disc several times, with your stylus acting as a polishing tool, to eliminate random pops and ticks.’

My 'reminder' was with my copy of Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman which is on JVC vinyl and pressed in Japan. Not all MFSL albums come with this warning. I have mofi albums which sounded absolutely unplayable until they were polished by my stylus. I'm not sure I'm that keen on abusing my stylus this way [it makes a pretty expensive polishing tool] but in the end the ticks dissapear so I guess it is effective. If you buy used MFSL albums, don't dismiss the ones with the pops and ticks as being VG because in a few plays, they may become NM+.”

FashionBoy, Jrr, RiRiIII and 4 others like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I kind of agree. They’ve been doing this for a while. I remember the UHQR MOFI albums. I’m pretty sure they were $50, which was outrageous in 1982 (actually equal to about $125 today). I still have the Sgt Pepper and Tea for Tillerman boxes. They are nice, quality products but there is a bunch of foam padding Serving no purpose I can see.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree with all this and I think I was the first to point out it is pure marketing, but I can’t imagine anyone in the target market that would allow the box to be the tipping point to actually buy it. Which makes the whole box thing both ironic and pointless. I too love the gatefold cover inside the box. Just lower the price and put it out that way. And that solves the sleeve issue that clearly they aren’t going to change.

bluesfan likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not ridiculous...most of us have that one stupid expensive album we couldn’t pass up, so welcome to the club! At least you are getting something you can easily resell if you don’t enjoy it, and it will end your curiosity.

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Regarding the boxes, sure, it's all about eye appeal. Yes, the boxes do afford more protection to the product, but it's about standing out. Those early mofi UHQRs really stood out with the all black box, red letters and silver strip across the top. Let's just say that you can't lose them within your record collection. Charge less without the box? Sure, but why would mofi want to do that? They make more money this way. Oh, so they can sell more? LOL. They all are selling out now! They don't need to lower the price or change the box when they are flying off the shelfs. Now, let's get back to talking about the latest SOUND from the Bill Evans One Step. After all, THAT'S what it's all about.

FashionBoy and Gordon Johnson like this.
  17. I just wish they included a gatefold with original cover art inside the box a la the UHQR Hendrix. I want the records out of the box on the shelf. Easier access and prevents wear to the box. You can keep them in their individual sleeves on the shelf but I use resealable outer sleeves and it makes for a bit of a pain, plus those black inners are prone to finger prints as well as scuffing, which we are all aware of.

Fractured and Twinsfan007 like this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I hope you guys never buy a new car! :wave:

Myke likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

Your new car better not come delivered with scratches, veer to the right when you brake, and squeak incessantly when you go over bumps. :tiphat:

ti-triodes, Jrr and Gordon Johnson like this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Jeez. I keep my boxes in oversized outer bags, and remove when I'm ready to play.
    I didn't handle my son as a baby, the way some of you handle your records. :laugh:

Gordon Johnson and Slick Willie like this.
  21. AnalogJ

I'm awfully glad to hear that, MYKE. I would have been a bit disturbed to read that you stored your son in a plastic oversized bag.

Jrr, Greenmonster2420 and Mugrug12 like this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

It a comment to reflect the manner in which the records are treated and not how they are pressed, printed or perform! :righton:

AnalogJ and Myke like this.
  23. Jemspeed

Jemspeed Well-Known Member

I bought a new Mercedes that had all those problems and they have been very reluctant to do anything about it. Luxury goods

marcb likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

Okay, so my sister from San Diego is visiting the Boston area. She still has many friends around here.

She wanted to spend the day in Marblehead, but before we went, I wanted her to check out some jazz LPs. She's into jazz. And you might recall from another thread, that I wrote about her befriending Bill Evans and they became regular penpals before he died.

Anyway, to get the to meat of this post, I played her the UDS1 pressing of Sunday At The Village Vanguard. She was already quite familiar with this album, as you can imagine, being a big fan of Evans. I played her "Solar", which is a cut that all three musicians get to play in. She was on the edge of her seat. When the cut was done, she said "That's the best sounding jazz LP I have EVER heard!" She went on to detail, in amazement, how she could hear every detail in the place, like she was right there in the front row; and how she could hear every individual note each player was playing. She was absolutely stunned. (Honestly, in spite of that some prefer the sound of Evans' piano in the Steve Hoffman mastered pressing, the depiction of the Village Vanguard space in the MoFi One-Step is astonshing!).

Before that, I had played her a Van Gelder blue label Blue Note pressing of Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage followed by the 33 of the Music Matters pressing. She had never seen a Music Matters pressing, but thought the presentation, particularly with the inner Francis Woolf photos was "just gorgeous". She said she could definitely see why it was worth the money. And she heard how much clearer and more present all of the instruments seemed on the MM.

Finally, I played her her own copy of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs, a Pacific Jazz labeled copy by Liberty Records, part of Capitol Records, from 1981. I told her that essentially the same people behind the MM pressing was doing a new reissue of the record. The moment I put it one, she could hear how relatively little instrumental body the players had, that Corea's piano sounded glassy, and it wavered in pitch by tape wow and flutter. She understood why it's not enough just to like a record, but how difference it makes with the pressing your listening to.

Listening to both 33s and 45s today, every one of the 45s had a spaciousness and ease the 33s just didn't have. On their own, the 33s are really good. But my room gets bigger when I play the 45s.

25. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

My copy of Portrait in Jazz has arrived in the UK and is cleaned and ready to go. In fact I have decided to play all 7 One Steps released so far over the next few days and log them in order of preference.