Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

1.2 million $ worth of Bloody Tracks after all is said and sold.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think people are wasting time worrying about the marks on the inners. They are not down to transit movement or moisture. An educated guess is this is a problem in the printing process were maybe print is being removed again while wet in manufacturing or it's just not being applied evenly. Sometimes there are scratches which gives this away. I've noticed the problem with other black sleeves but obviously not on a $125 product. Nearly all the inner sleeves have the issue to some extent. Mo-Fi should have sorted this out with the printers / sleeve makers long ago.

lpjock likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can't speak too much about BOTT specifically, but as an example, there are countless ways to record drums. You might have a mic (or more than one mic) on every drum and cymbal, or you might just have a few mics on the whole kit. Maybe you put the mics close to the kit, or possibly far away from it. Maybe the snare has reverb on it. Or not. All of those things can greatly change the sound of the drums, and none are necessarily better than others. Often "clarity" is a difference in mic position or EQ, rather than some deficiency in the equipment.

4. stevos47

stevos47 Well-Known Member

I got mine this week. Ordered from MD and it came in perfect condition. The sound blew me away. Dead quiet, never noticed any ticks. The base is what stands out for me. Extremely tight and deep and well placed among the instruments. Voice is dead on with only a moving soundstage that seems out of place. usually the performer on a good recording seems to be in the same position in my setup which is in the middle and slightly behind the speakers. Bob seems to be moving around IMO. I have all the One Steps and this one rivals Abraxas IMO. If you can afford it, buy it!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. stevos47

stevos47 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does Bob's acoustic guitar seem slightly out of tune in a few of these songs? I always thought I heard that in my original recording but it seems more pronounced in the One Step.

I either have #0080 or #0680. Whoever numbered mine wasn't paying attention

Adamski777 likes this.
  6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I wonder if the seller marked down your number and name prior to shipping? Call and ask.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Does it really matter?

If it makes you feel good, think #0080. I mean, who's checking?

8. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Just jumping in here, admittedly without going through the entire thread, but has anyone who had issues with Portrait In Jazz had any updates on replacement sleeves or discs? I'm wondering if this will ever happen.

9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I have not received the replacement for the mispressed record. It seems to be taking longer than the other titles.

10. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I've just sent an email to see if there are any updates. I got an invoice for replacements in May. No news since then.

11. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

This quote from the other BOTT thread--

I received my two copies (that I ordered together) today . They are numbered, interestingly enough - 1881 and 3744. One from the top of the pile and one from the bottom? Will be listening tonight!

Tullman likes this.
  12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I did need a disc replaced and although I was one of the first to get my box, I let it sit sealed for a month or two. When I discovered the disc problem, I emailed and a replacement disc was on the way the same day.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Interesting. It looks like they have sold over a third.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My Simon and Garfunkels took forever, I had even forgot about it, but they did come. If they sent you an order for it I’m sure it will arrive.

sunspot likes this.
  15. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Finally got around to playing the 1step BOTT - this is some serious big boy listening - better than the 33rpm MOFI, better than an original US 1st pressing and better than the SACD.

I almost didn't buy this because of having the 33rpm, but I am really glad I did. Hearing little things that I never heard before, drums and acoustic guitars in the room kind of sound - I am mighty impressed with this.

Pancat, Twinsfan007, Dmann201 and 5 others like this.
  16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The guy that buys it down the road someday. # 80 out of 9000 has a higher value than 680. It's not me, that's just the way it is. Why do you think they number them? Sure, 7500 vs 8392 makes little difference, but ones below a hundred do tend to have a higher value.

17. lpjock

lpjock Forum Resident

"I haven't seen any numbers over 2000"
    One of mine is #24xx

Probably no need to expand on what is generally being written about this puppy but man o man, this is pressing is outstanding.
    Foremost for me is the delineation of every instrument and vocal. All while being so musical. Another thing that tells me this is a winner...nothing in the recording
    has distracted me while listening. At least so far. The MoFi 33 and original pressing are very good and I would
    have been happy if I had never heard another pressing. But, for myself, in my rig, they aren't in the same league to the 1s.
    Wish we could count on every 1s being at this level.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. Vinylfindco

You guys are getting me all excited with your positive reviews. I just landed, back home from vacation and I have my copy waiting for me!

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why? The licensing was probably relatively easy, the price was probably right, and they are probably making a profit on it.

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

My Dylan copy #480 is perfect- no damage to the packaging or LP's. All 4 sides play quiet.
    I may be lucky but have not had any issues with any of the One Steps to this point...
    ATB,
    Mark

21. Vinylfindco

Just got home to find 0303 in the house. Will inspect visually tonight but play tomorrow.
    Box perfect, sleeves have minor rubbing (back of LP1, front of LP2) Discs flat, off center labels on a couple of sides. The discs look clean but will get cleaned tomorrow before playing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  22. Vinylfindco

Did you need to clean the discs before playing?

23. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I clean ALL of my records before I listen to them...

24. Vinylfindco

Good, me too.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's bonkers because no 1 box could be last off the press and 9000 first of the press. It's likely pretty random has how a number equates to the earliest pressing.

lukpac likes this.