Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm still waiting on Amazon US getting BOTT as this is by far the cheapest option if you are in UK (30th August). Postage and duty buying from MD and AP is crippling making price equal to buying in UK.

2. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

How much is it working out via Amazon US? I have pre ordered from Diverse at £160 plus postage.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Option I chose does not add duty (from experience you won't be charged extra) and comes to $131.96.

4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Very true, but remains available!

As will some of these Dylan sets at 9000!

As is the Marvin set despite initially showing sold out, somehow they have stock!

5. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I'm sure this is somewhere in the thread but has anyone got a list of what is coming up next? I'm only up to date based on what MusicDirect had in their catalog and that was Thelonius Monk.

6. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

That’s pretty good. Hope it all goes smoothly.

7. I believe these are still in queue, but order is a little fuzzy. I am assuming Monk is next.

- Thelonious Monk - Monk’s Dream
    - Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    - Yes - Fragile
    - SRV - Couldn’t Stand the Weather
    - Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
    - ELO - Eldorado
    - Blood Sweat & Tears - s/t

I think that’s all currently announced. Any of these can be preordered via phone with MD

IGD Positive likes this.
  8. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

If you go the Amazon route and get a defective set, you will have to pay to ship it to MoFi for a replacement, as I've discovered. Just so you know!

9. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Thanks!

10. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

Not true. Amazon will replace it themselves and will pay the return shipping for the defective item. I've done it before for warped or scratched vinyl and never had to pay an extra dime. No questions or hassle from Amazon either.

Amazon is pretty great for vinyl shopping.

ns2357, RiRiIII and Jrr like this.
  11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

In my case, re BOTW, Amazon said there were no more copies available, and to return it to MoFi directly. This can happen with limited edition discs, so I still think buyer beware. I could, it is certainly true, have received a refund from Amazon, no problem, if I wanted to return it and not have the album.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  12. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

My brother works for Amazon, I wouldn't buy any vinyl from them nevermind a set that costs $125.

Guss2 likes this.
  13. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

Ok. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. New vinyl in great condition much cheaper than elsewhere.

ns2357, Jrr and marcb like this.
  14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

We've been down this road a number of times. Most of us have bough 100s of LPs from Amazon with almost no issues. When the occasional issue appears, AMZN has always stepped right up & handled it even offering next day replacement.

Jimijam, ns2357, Lucca90 and 2 others like this.
  15. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I understand and I hope it continues to be what you expect as a consumer.

All I am saying is I know that the product does not get handled by human hands and packaged carefully. It is grabbed by a machine thrown on a conveyer belt several times. Packaged and labeled by a stamp machine then ends up in a basket to be shipped with razors, books, wreaths, paper towels and etc..

I personally am willing to pay the little extra or wait for 20% off discounts with free shipping so my product is handled by human hands. In the case of MOFI One Steps, they sell for less than $125? I wouldn't think they do unless you have a gift certificate. Music Direct offers free shipping.

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Correct. It's the box number that counts. Kind of like a U.K. White album numbered below 100. Huge value due to the low number on the front cover.

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  17. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm definitely in for BS&T. Didn't ORG release a 45 rpm of this not long ago that was highly praised?

18. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

how rare/good was the Woodstock MFSL CD set? I had a friend growing up who had it and have never seen another one since. Apologies if this is a vinyl thread.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why don’t you request to reopen the following thread, so we can keep this thread on topic

MFSL Woodstock CD

20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Re Amazon.

Third party seller so MoFi will not support any replacement.

Amazon will replace the defective item no problem, free shipping [they did it for me with the Gaye title with free return / replacement from the UK].
    The problem is, the full set has to be replaced even if the issue is just say, one dished record or crappy sleeves.

That in itself is a gamble as the replacement may be just as bad for similar or other reasons.

Also with limited issues [though these are from limited really] you could hit a wall with no replacements available.

With RTI struggling to produce consistently good vinyl right now and a company that wont support its expensive items to their customer [third party or otherwise] I'd really recommend the extra few $$$'s to order direct. Well at least for US customers. Outside of that country things get way to expensive to go direct.

sharedon likes this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just listened to Side One of Blood On The Tracks. I have never owned or heard this album previously, and I've only heard Tangled Up In Blue over the radio, never on a good system.
    The side was flawless, and the sound was very impressive. This is my sixth One Step and I'd say it's at the top of those I have (I don't have Santana or SRV). Absorbing this performance should be really rewarding.

22. hermanenmonja

hermanenmonja Forum Resident

Uhmmmm... got the second replacement. It is without warpage.
    But it is the stereo version instead of the mono.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Do you think other retailers - including music only retailers - are really significantly different (minus the razors and paper towels)? Have you read this and the other One Step threads?

24. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I have to agree with what some other posters said regarding to packaging. Sure it is pretty but the finish is delicate and easily marred. The box also takes up a lot of space. I've bought 6 now and I can see space becoming an issue. Then there's ease of handling. I can either open the box to get out the discs to play (which increases the possibility of wear / damage, or I have to purchase a blank gatefold and store the discs in those for easy access and pack the box away. Another thing is there's not much else in the box, like booklets, photos and such. So there's nothing to really look at or read. What would be nice is at least a high quality gatefold version of the original album jacket instead of the two jackets, that could be used to store the records outside of the box. I like the UHQR package much more.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They have even on occasion told me to just keep the defective one. I have no idea why some say buying from Amazon is a bad experience. I could argue it’s almost foolish to buy elsewhere as it’s so easy to return defects. That guy that works at Amazon...does he say they throw the records around or something? It’s not like it’s food hitting the floor. Geez, what could they be possibly be doing to vinyl to make an employee recommend against buying from them? I think some people simply have an axe to grind regarding Amazon. I’ve never had an issue with them on any product. They deserve the minimum hundreds of dollars I throw their way each month between my business and personally. And no, I have no reason to recommend them other than they continually work hard to earn my business.

thxphotog and Gordon Johnson like this.