Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

2. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I would think virtually nil. I am not sure what you are suggesting but I dont think MFSL are going to risk an uncharted title for this premium product line.

3. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

A title that hasn’t been done to death doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be uncharted. There’s plenty of incredibly successful albums out there that haven’t seen multiple audiophile reissues.

bajaed likes this.
  4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Of course that's true. But MFSL are an Audiophile company and as such will probably pick titles that fit into that aesthetic. So mainly American 50s - 70s era titles as that seem to be their thing. Also this premium range is a more of a risk than their standard titles and so they are more likely to be risk adverse in picking titles here.

5. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I don’t think people are demanding titles that could pose a risk. I think there’s a large population of customers that would like to see MFSL branch out with titles they might not already own multiple audiophile quality copies of. I understand that they’re an audiophile label but that doesn’t restrict them to titles between the 50’s and 70’s. We’ve already seen two 80’s releases with at least one more coming up.

There are plenty of wildly successful titles released after 1979 that were recorded incredibly well straight to tape. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable ask for MFSL to start broadening their selections. Their current customer base isn’t getting any younger.

MikeJedi likes this.
  6. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I just finally played my copy of Monks Dream and the sound is fantastic! Sorry to nitpick, but I did notice that my records were slightly pressed off-center. Did anyone else notice this on their copy?

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The labels on my copy are slightly off center, but the actual LP pressing is perfectly pressed. Maybe you are seeing the same with your labels a bit off center?

8. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I had the same minor issue with mine. Labels slightly off center but that’s it. The actual pressing is flawless.

9. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Curse you! I was so hoping that maybe the recording just wasn't any better than what is on the Impex, so I would have no reservations about skipping this. I do love Monk, though, so if it's really this good... :help:

10. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Same. Label not the record.

11. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I just double checked, and yes it was only the labels being off center. It threw me off a little bit, and I had to check the tone arm when playing. All is great! This is one of the better if not best sounding Jazz reissue I have picked up this year.

12. Tim Albertson

Tim Albertson Forum Resident

I'd love to see some more comparisons of Monk's Dream to the Impex version released a few years ago. Is this the same mix & versions used? My One-Step is on back-order from Music Direct and I haven't heard it yet. Thanks...

13. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Like night & day vs. the Impex. The Impex is “just ok” by comparison.

BluTom, Fractured and mpayan like this.
  14. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

My Blood on the Tracks also has the labels a bit off center. Luckily, that was it...

15. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Like night & day vs. the Impex. The Impex is “just ok” by comparison.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Would be great wouldnt it? Mofi One-Steps of AC/DC Highway To Hell, Merle Haggard Big City..etc etc..

But no...SOS

Preston, MikeJedi and Twinsfan007 like this.
  17. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I was waiting for someone to say something about this!! I thought I was going nuts. (Well, my wife still thinks I'm going nuts anyway) In fact, I heard it in the car with just the Apple music streaming service. I was going crazy thinking another radio was on as I kept hearing background voices. Then I hear it again, only clearer, on my home system with the One Step. I don't know if that's bleed through on the tape, but you're thought that it's Monk would be spot on. Damn him, lol. I want to yell out Shut the **** up! I'm listening to ya! lol. Listen to the first 3 tracks. Mainly right speaker. I thought some clown in the control room got recorded onto the tape.

18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Monk does hum along from time to time
    Fortunately it is usually low in the mix
    Some live albums more so.

Good thing it's not Keith Jarrett
    Who does this scratchy counterpoint that is so grating
    Ruins some wonderful music
    Then he has the audacity to get mad at someone in the audience for coughing

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The Monica Seles of Piano.

Tlay, harmonica98, pjohn23 and 2 others like this.
  20. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Yes it’s the right speaker. Literally thought it was distortion. Have heard him make sounds on “alone in San Francisco” because there is only his piano it’s pretty clear what’s going on there. But on that track from “monks dream” it was like some kind of distortion. I actually went on amazon and downloaded the digital version, then listened on headphones to make sure!

21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I don't understand. If a title that a person may have multiple audiophile-quality copies can be improved and become the new audiophile standard - why not do it again better? I cannot think of a One-Step title where the majority of reviews have not agreed that the One-Step sets a new audio standard. It's almost like saying - don't do a One-Step on a title that I have purchased multiple times because I don't want to buy yet another pressing. Many of the One-Step titles may forever be definitive. Buy the One-Step and sell the other pressings to pay for it. I will do a shoot-out between the Hoffman/Gray pressing and the MoFi One-Step and the loser to my ears gets sold. My WLP of Fragile will also be kept, but it won't be for its superior audio.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Jellis77 likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just think some of us would like to see some other really strong classic albums also get some love instead of the same twenty titles. Surely they could do both? There were a ton of classic albums done in the 70’s and 80’s that I think would be welcome. No doubt, with licensing apparently becoming more difficult, that may be a huge hinderence.

MikeJedi, Preston and AnalogJ like this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Such as.....?

24. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Bowie StationToStation and maybe Hunky Dory through to Scary Monsters.

djost likes this.
  25. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

A Bowie title is a good suggestion.