Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

more titles that have been done to death ugh Maybe we will get something different next year :)

2. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Man, the static in this vinyl formulation is UNREAL. The disc actually pushes and pulls when you hit it with a shot from the Milty Zerostat gun. I've never seen that before, except when playing with like a static-charged balloon. You can neutralize it, but it doesn't stay that way for long. Really not liking this formulation. On top of that, it is not as quiet as it should be.

3. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

No, not sure Music Direct is shipping but mine has not shipped yet, checked this morning.

4. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I decided I really need to hear Monk’s Dream and placed a “preorder” (in quotes since it’s of course already out) on Elusive Disc the other day. Are we expecting that these orders will be fulfilled?

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Most likely will be filled, but I would not order one steps from anyone but Music Direct.

Twinsfan007, snorker and djost like this.
  6. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Hmm, to the point where I should order via Music Direct now? They appear to be back-ordered. I’m aware that they own MoFi but I didn’t know if that meant they’d ever be in stock again.

7. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I believe there was a logistical issue which is causing delays. I’m assuming if true, that’s the reason for MD showing out of stock/shipping 6-8 weeks.

Glad I was lucky and received mine already.

The static is definitely bad and the same applies to MMJ’s SRX series. Once I gave them a wash and a few plays they’re all now flawless. It’s almost as if there’s a break-in period for the new formula.

jgrillo, TDurden, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  8. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

My experience as well. Great record.

9. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

snorker likes this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just like to order one steps from Music Direct because if there are any issues at all, MD will replace flawed records or packaging, no questions asked, and returns are not asked for.

11. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

I completely agree with every word of this...with one small difference, mine is #609 :)

Drew769 likes this.
  12. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Agreed. I am a pretty hardcore Zep fan and have been underwhelmed with all of the recent remastered releases. I think Jimmy needs to let someone else take the wheel for the next round. Compared to other remastered titles from that same era the Zeppelin stuff sounds thin to me and lacks depth. When I listen to When The Levee Breaks I want Bonzo’s drumming in that stairwell at Headley Grange to knock me on my ass and it doesn’t. I realize it may have to do with the quality of the master but if I listen to the remasters of say, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers they have much more low end depth and punch to me. As I said, it may be out of Jimmy’s control but I feel like there’s got to be more low end to be had in those recordings.
    Just my .02

markp likes this.
  13. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Didn’t know about SRV or Mingus. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and get on the list. Thanks!

snorker likes this.
  14. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Do we know the provenance of the Blu-Ray audio? Sounds damn nice and y’know there were rumors ...

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I had to use my demagnetizer to reduce static. The records were quiet after the process.

16. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Yep I know it’s good I have it. My point was it’s not exactly a sonic masterpiece but it sounds very good so why not some Bowie stuff that somebody else commented may not be up to the mark sonically.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

it's all to do with licencing. There is no limit it appears to Bob and Sony releasing his records again and again. Other major names appear to be restricted with any competition to the inferior digital remasters their labels put out blocked. Certainly a number of Bowie releases are top recordings with Visconti and Ken Scott being involved but we may never get another audiophile quality release. Visconti's remixes appear to be the standard now same as Giles Martin for the Beatles. At least the Stones releases got some good sources most recently, all be it from hi-res/DSD copies. Most of these One Steps have been Jazz or from the Sony/Columbia/Epic catalogues.

TDurden likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sorry, but could you reference your previous post? I'm not sure which album you're talking about.
    Thanks.

19. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Damn, Monk sounds freaking amazing. Love the new jackets too; haven’t been keeping up with the reviews here and those were a nice surprise.

Dmann201, djost, Adamski777 and 3 others like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats good news. Took them too damn long to change them though. Still, at least theyve corrected the issue.

TDurden and Tullman like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, they took way too long. The new jackets are much nicer.

TDurden and rollo5 like this.
  22. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Was gonna order one from MD but it said "Out of Stock", so I ordered from MOFI. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No mistake.

24. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Agreed on all of it. Love the new jackets. I like the way the finish matches the box’s. Took too long but well done.

Adamski777, nightenrock and Tullman like this.
  25. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I was talking about possibility of releasing some one step Bowie stuff particularly StationToStation but anything from Hunky Dory up to and including Scary Monsters would be great.
    To be honest I would prefer an AP UHQR release for these but a One Step would do!

TDurden and Adamski777 like this.