Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ CMO (Chief Musical Officer)

snorker likes this.
  2. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

I'd like to hear R.E.M.'s New Adventures In Hi-Fi on UDOS. I think it is a sonic wonderland with great potential.

I'd also throw something from Blue Rodeo's catalogue into the ring BUT... ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    James Bennett likes this.
  3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I would buy a Blue Rodeo’s Lost Together on UD1S on day one.

DavidD likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

We might get lucky and see a REM one step as I know Mofi has done them before ...

5. AnalogJ

Well Automatic For The People is a fantastic sounding album. I'd probably buy that in a One Step.

captouch and musictoad like this.
  6. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

My neil young says mastered by bernie grundman studios then below it says mastered by *cb which is Chris bellingham i believe. Mine is the 2009 180 gram 2lp with the 7" single... its not the classic records version. Does this mean it wasnt manufactured with the One-step process? It does sound stunning....

7. AnalogJ

It's Chris Bellman, who works for Bernie Grundman. And yes, it's done by the One-Step process. Consider that you got 2 LPs, plus a 7" 2-sided single, all done with the same process. At $50, it's sort of a bargain.

snorker likes this.
  8. TDurden

TDurden Active Member

Station To Station. That would be fantastic

PADYBU likes this.
  9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah this. New Adventures doesn't strike me at all as anything special sonically. Automatic, however...

AnalogJ and James Bennett like this.
  10. honestabe316

Its a great deal for sure.. The jacket seems to have been made with quality material as well... when you pick it up you feel like the $49 spent was well worth it... plus the great sound... a no brainer for even the casual Young fan as it covers most of the songs i like.... id almost rather have the mofi one steps in this type jacket

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

As good as it sounds, the individual lps that Chris Bellman cut sound even better!

12. honestabe316

I know the name.. as soon as i saw that *CB stood for Chris Bellman i knew he had a good reputation. I cant name of the top of my head any of his trophy masterings... but im gonna check out his catalog for sure....

13. drbryant

drbryant Forum Resident

If you’re a Neil Young fan, the three vinyl boxes are fantastic. The first box is hard to find but the second and third boxes are still available - Bellman and AAA for less than the price of a new MFSL One Step. That’s incredible value .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

I was told that the delay in sending out further Monk One-Steps is due to problems with the cover, whether on the box or individual records I do not know. That is why many have been put on an extended shipment wait. They evidently sent out what they could from the first batch.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. PATB

PATB Forum Resident

I listened to my Monk last night and, unfortunately, Just a Gigolo (Disk 2, side 1) is very noisy -- lots of pops and clicks in the first minute. I cleaned it twice, but still noisy. Called MD this morning and was told they will ship a replacement as soon as they receive replacement copies -- no need to return the bad disk. The album is otherwise superb.

16. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog

I didn't any flaws on my copy. Who knows? It could be anything. Usually, the nit pickers on this forum find the little mistakes.

17. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog

I know I had to use my anti static device for this record.

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Ah this would explain why it hasn't shown up at my local.

19. honestabe316

I had a click in one of my abraxas discs and they did the same. When thier quality lacks a little they definitley make up for it in service... I guess the same can be said for anaogue Productions and Elusive disc as well as i have never had an issue getting replacements from them either. Elusive i beleive wanted the bad record back once though....

20. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

AS requests the defective copy be sent back as well. I had to do it a few weeks ago. The only negative is that it slows down the process. They fortunately refunded the return shipping once the replacement was processed.

21. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident

In my experience, it depends on the label. AS generally will not request the defective copy and just send a replacement disc or sleeve or whatever on AP titles. Same with MD for MoFi titles. But for labels that aren’t in house, they don’t have spare sleeves or discs on hand and they aren’t going to send a new sealed copy and let you keep the old one. Too much room for abuse.

Elusive Disc doesn’t own a label so they always have you send back the old one, again, in my experience. And they have you do it at your cost. One reason why I don’t usually buy from them unless other retailers are out of what I am looking for

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. PATB

PATB Forum Resident

This is my experience with AS as well. When I had a defective Speakers Corner, AS requested to return the defective disk. AS did not ask me to return defective Analog Productions disks in the past.

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

This just happened to me too. Perhaps they have to return the discs to the manufacturer to get credit, whereas for their own LPs there's no point to pay return shipping to get back a disc they have no use for.

24. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident

Also, with their own stuff, they have spares of what ever is defective. So they usually just send you a disc with no cover, a cover with no disc, etc. If they just gave you a fresh sealed copy anytime someone claimed an item defective, it would make for a really easy scam.

I have also had talks with the folks over at MMJ and while they didn't;t require me to return the faulty disc, they did ask for a picture of the defect that shows the label. She said it is what they need to give to RTI, I assume for some kind of credit.

25. Louder666

Louder666 Active Member

My order was shipped to my old address, unfortunately. I contacted customer service and Fedex will make three attempts to get the package back, if not, they will ship me a new one this Monday. Very happy with their service! Really hoping I get the original one as I expect it will be a low number...