Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. nycNick

nycNick Active Member

Well, looks like my luck finally ran out. Got the Monk One Step late last week, Found some odd scratches on the 2nd LP, along with 2 in the deadwax on LP1 (which isn't exactly flat). My 4th One Step, first with an issue (except the labels which appear to be off-center on every single one). Odd white residue as well that remained even after the US cleaning. RTI confuses me....I have never had a single issue w/MM stuff (regular and SRX) and even regular MoFi releases are very consistent. The OneStep stuff seems to be encountering a lot of issues from what I have read/seen (my Bill Evans PIJ is not exactly flat either, but that was purchased via a 3rd party and sounds fine). Would think that these type releases get the extra special treatment since I know they can do it!! Emailed MD, first time I have had to replace a disc come to think of it.

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Most companies have a Quality Assurance Department, posts like yours brings QC issues clearly into focus. It appears that charging large sums of money for a premium vinyl title does not assure anything.

3. nycNick

nycNick Active Member

Unsure if it is QC overall - I have 30+ MM titles pressed at the same plant (and 12 on the same "super" vinyl since I am convinced MoFi and SRX vinyl is the same) with not a single issue (flat, centered labels, etc) And regular MoFi titles from RTI have always been without issue for me. I have most of the Tone Poet releases and they are without issue (RTI). But based on the comments about the OneStep pressings, it seems that these are actually worse with these in particular and it has been somewhat consistent from the 2-3rd release (granted, it may be a bigger audience).
    So I know they CAN produce good, consistent quality. Just curious as to why they aren't. I am not concerned as MD has a good history of disc replacements and maybe they rely on that. But between MM and Tone Poet (40-50 LP's) and not a single disc even with a minor warp, I fail to understand the "lotto" folks seem to get with these. Maybe it isn't possible and I've gotten lucky. And I get that 10% of a 6k set run (with 12k pressed) is 1200 defects. Unsure what the "acceptable" level is for record pressing. I know it must be high since it is an analogue process. But I've certainly beaten those odds by a wide margin with other RTI pressings from other labels.

## off topic, the Tone Poet releases are really good, like getting MM stuff for 1/2 off...good job w/that set so far.

Pelts and John D. like this.
  4. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It assures greater disappointment due to higher expectations.

5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

But is expectation higher?

I expect a flat record, I expect a centered record regardless to the price point.

I do expect a quiet record both in terms of the physical pressing and vinyl formulae. The latter us an extra expectaion and not just a price pount one.

Disc or packaging replacement is far from any reason for lax QC. Ask the non-US customer.

David P. Hill and AnalogJ like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Abraxas is the only one I bought but I ended up selling it. For the price they ask records and packaging should be perfect. I did own the UHQR Sgt Pepper and it was flawless.

DigMyGroove and Tullman like this.
  7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't see your system posted in your profile. Do you mind telling us what you're listening on?

8. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Tone Poet reissues are no comparison to the MM reissues. Half of the Tone Poet albums have speed problems. I can’t think of a single MM LP that faced this problem. Well, maybe one or two out of like 150 or something...?

I’d gladly take a slightly warped record over the crap that the Cohearant/RTI chain is currently churning out. Between the TP and BN80, I think we are up to like 15-20 with flutter issues. Ranging from somewhat minor to absolutely awful but with seemingly no end in sight. All three of the new BN80s are already reported as phucked up yet again. The last track on the Hancock record is said to be even worse than the Andrew Hill debacle.

I’ve had my issues with MoFi but they have NEVER put out defective product like Blue Note is currently putting out.

9. Why are you dragging this into this thread? This is a MoFi thread. The poster you quoted likes the Tone Poets. Why do you feel the need to rain on his parade?

Aside from the (mostly minor) speed issues in the TP series, they are absolutely a direct comparison to the MMJs. It is a phenomenal series. A huge portion of folks don't hear the speed issues, I'm not sure why you feel the need to **** all over the TP and BN80s every time they get mentioned. We have a separate thread for those issues.

10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

When somebody “drags it into this thread” that Tone Poet has put out a comparable product to MM, I think it fair to offer an alternate viewpoint. It’s not a random offering up of criticism towards a different series.

Your last “point” is absolutely untrue. I don’t even drift into the TP or BN80 threads any longer. I probably haven’t posted in either for at least a month, so how could I be criticizing them “every time they get mentioned”?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Lucca90 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  11. nycNick

nycNick Active Member

Rega RP3 TTPSU/Exact2/GT Subplatter--->Jolida JD9--->Aestheix Calypso--->Nord NC500Mk2--->Maggie 1.7i MYE Stands . Added to my sig, thanks!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Clucking, dkurtis and AnalogJ like this.
  12. AnalogJ

Very nice. And those Maggies might be my favorite speaker for the buck - a great speaker, a great speaker for the money, and gives you almost everything you might want in a speaker. But needs a LOT of power to bring out their best.

nycNick and dkurtis like this.
  13. nycNick

nycNick Active Member

This is my 2nd pair - swapped for some Logan SL3’s, just didn’t do it for me, went back to them. And the Nord has power in spades. Both are fantastic values IMHO. The pre was acquired used for a great price.

14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into them.

15. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Interesting. I just picked this up based on this very conversation and I’m let down by it. The material from “everybody knows...” sounds much better on my original pressing of that. The drums sound muted on the greatest hits disc. Same with helpless. Now I’m hearing some serious sibilance on “After the Gold Rush”. if this is a one step it’s not even close to being in the same universe as the Mofi product of which I have 8...

16. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

17. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Listening to Monk's Dream right now and it sounds great. Took the day off to catch my breath from work and listening to this record is what I needed. Bass, drums, sax and Monk's piano are right in the room with me. And, I want to say I can hear Monk ?? talking/mumbling to himself in the background on some of the songs. These aren't cheap and I have other pressings of most of them, but on my stereo these are the best pressings and recordings of each album that I have. If the next one-step is an album that I really like, I'll find away to buy it.

18. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Any word on when shipping of Monk is going to resume? It has been weeks.

19. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Most likely when there are a bunch more presales...if at all!
    I was told that the initial batch of about half were produced and the rest were waited on...to gauge interest level. Makes sense in a perverse sort of way. IMHO, somewhat disingenuous to the customer...but typical.

20. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Thank you for not drifting in. It’s been very pleasant around there. I’m sorry you’re so unhappy.

21. AnalogJ

Agreed. Makes me feel guilty even just being on the fence about buying it.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting that Elusive Disc just listed as “one copy left” of the Simon & Garfunkel for $299 and Fagen for $399. What a cash grab....don’t see either selling. As if they didn’t pull a few aside!

iloveguitars likes this.
  23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

When is the "proposed" ship date for Fragile?

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The individual lps are far better sounding than the GH.

25. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Thank you for this validation. Everyone is all worked up about it. I’m a big fan of NY and the NYA releases have been excellent sonically. But this GH, just doesn’t thrill me like they do. Sounds a bit ...soft? Slightly muted? At least on my system. Maybe people with bright systems like it for that reason.